The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leica lens typologies?

ramosa

All,

I have come to understand that some folks view Leica lenses in two*typologies specific to rendering,*which often guide their lens choices.

First, you have the lenses with classic rendering. These lenses have lots of "character" and were often developed by Mandler,*including the Lux 35mm pre-asph, Cron 35mm pre-asph, Cron 90 pre-asph, Tele-Elmarit 90,*and Lux 50mm pre-asph.

Second, you have the modern super-sharp asph lenses that were often developed by Karbe. They include the Cron 90 apo asph, Elmarit 35 asph, Cron 35 asph, Lux 35 asph v2, Lux 50 asph, and Nocti 50 asph f/.95.

While I understand these two groups' characteristics in terms of rendering, I struggle to see where four lenses would fit. I wonder if they would fit in one of these two groups or would sort of make up an "in between grouping." The four lenses are the Nocti 50 f/1.0, Lux 35 asph v1, Elmarit 90, and Cron 50 (current version).

Pardon my interest in this odd matter ...

R

jonoslack

All,

I have come to understand that some folks view Leica lenses in two*typologies specific to rendering,*which often guide their lens choices.

First, you have the lenses with classic rendering. These lenses have lots of "character" and were often developed by Mandler,*including the Lux 35mm pre-asph, Cron 35mm pre-asph, Cron 90 pre-asph, Tele-Elmarit 90,*and Lux 50mm pre-asph.

Second, you have the modern super-sharp asph lenses that were often developed by Karbe. They include the Cron 90 apo asph, Elmarit 35 asph, Cron 35 asph, Lux 35 asph v2, Lux 50 asph, and Nocti 50 asph f/.95.

While I understand these two groups' characteristics in terms of rendering, I struggle to see where four lenses would fit. I wonder if they would fit in one of these two groups or would sort of make up an "in between grouping." The four lenses are the Nocti 50 f/1.0, Lux 35 asph v1, Elmarit 90, and Cron 50 (current version).

Pardon my interest in this odd matter ...

R
What an interesting point - I don't actually know who designed these lenses, but my gut reaction is
Nocti f1 (Mandler)
Lux 35 asph v1 (Karbe)
Elmarit 90 (Mandler)
Cron 50 (Mandler)

But in terms of spirit, I think the 'crons and the 90 elmarit are a nice combination of brutality and quality - the f1 Nocti is simply not as good as the f0.95 . . and neither is the v1 35 lux Asph v1 as good as the v2.

but actually, I Know Nothing :)

LCT

...I struggle to see where four lenses would fit. I wonder if they would fit in one of these two groups or would sort of make up an "in between grouping." The four lenses are the Nocti 50 f/1.0, Lux 35 asph v1, Elmarit 90, and Cron 50 (current version)...
Noctilux 50/1: Mandler
Summilux 35/1.4 v1: Mandler
Elmarit 90/2.8: which one? If you mean v2 it is Mandler's as well.
Summicron 50/2: Mandler
See: http://tinyurl.com/3twqrfj

ramosa

Jono and LCT,

Thanks for the input, including the useful link. It reminded me of a site that mentioned that Mandler developed the Lux 35 asph v1:*http://overgaard.dk/leica-35mm-Summilux-M-ASPH-f-14.html

Along with your comments, I can see that my favorite lenses tend to be the late versions of Mandler: Nocti 50 f/1.0, Lux 35 asph v1, Elmarit 90 (yes, most recent version), and Cron 50 (current version).

I guess I like this period of lenses just prior to the super sharp Karbe lenses.*

Thanks again. This has helped me better understand a common ground of these lenses.

R