The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

My Pet Peeve for the Day

Amin

You mean like primitive peoples sometimes think a camera can take something away with it in a literal sense, like soul? Interesting :D
I mean like the way almost everyone says it.

Photographers saying "make a photo" instead of "take a photo" is like Rastas saying "overstand" instead of "understand". I get the reason and have no objection, but in each case I prefer to go with the more prevalent English phrasing.

I mean like the way almost everyone says it.

Photographers saying "make a photo" instead of "take a photo" is like Rastas saying "overstand" instead of "understand". I get the reason and have no objection, but in each case I prefer to go with the more prevalent English phrasing.
As one photography instructor explained it to me - he preferred using the term "make" a photograph rather than "take", as the term "make" connotes direct intent and forethought when creating a photograph. To take a photograph doesn't convey much of a process other than pressing the shutter.

His point was, you should be consciously making a photograph every time - i.e. thinking exactly about what sort of image you want to create and executing to that vision.

Yes - it may only be a matter of semantics but for me it helps me to remember the process and not just start snapping off shots (sorry Jono:D) without a well thought out intent.

Different strokes...

Cheers,

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
<sarcasm>

Everyone knows that REAL men TAKE photographs. Through the sheer force of their dynamic will, a photograph is ripped from the reluctant and unforgiving fabric of space and time. And then it's printed. Period.

And no, real men don't "make" photographs, that's what retired librarians do in their senior-center Macramé class.

For sure, they (REAL men) most certainly do not have anything to do with effete processes like "giclee".

</sarcasm>

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
I try to leave the space-time continuum as I find it; so I just snap pictures and some of them are pretty neat then I print them.
-bob

Godfrey

As one photography instructor explained it to me - he preferred using the term "make" a photograph rather than "take", as the term "make" connotes direct intent and forethought when creating a photograph. To take a photograph doesn't convey much of a process other than pressing the shutter.

His point was, you should be consciously making a photograph every time - i.e. thinking exactly about what sort of image you want to create and executing to that vision.

Yes - it may only be a matter of semantics but for me it helps me to remember the process and not just start snapping off shots (sorry Jono:D) without a well thought out intent.

Different strokes...

Cheers,
+1

fotografz

Ah, semantics ... the English language is SO much fun.

Make means "to cause to happen," " ...to bring into being," which implies a deliberate decision to act or to create. A camera doesn't do anything without an action by the photographer.

Take means "To get into one's possession by force, skill, or artifice." ... so that word also works, but seems less appropriate for a more creative action.

Capture is a bit dicey. Its primary meaning is "A thing taken by force, surprise, or stratagem." It is a bit aggressive and militaristic in general tone and manner, but I guess could be applied to some photographers ... like Paparazzi ;)

So, if some think that digital images aren't photographs, then is it photographers making the digital images? :D

Maybe we are digigraphers or pixigraphers ... :ROTFL:

-Marc

jonoslack

I try to leave the space-time continuum as I find it; so I just snap pictures and some of them are pretty neat then I print them.
-bob

Different strokes...

Cheers,
I'm with Bob here - I try to think as little of the process as possible, I rely on my eye and my instinct, so, it's snaps for me.:D

But on a slightly more serious note . . . whilst I can see the advantages of make but whatever the word is, it's not going to have the slightest impact on the way I take photographs.

Lloyd

Well, my "take" from this thread, or what I "make" of it, if you like, is that I was, by reading it 'captured" for the few minutes it took to do so, and realized in a "snap", that... wait... what were we talking about?

shtarka1

Well, my "take" from this thread, or what I "make" of it, if you like, is that I was, by reading it 'captured" for the few minutes it took to do so, and realized in a "snap", that... wait... what were we talking about?
:D

Lloyd

Actually, I believe that the only way to resolve a thorny issue like this is to get say a Nikon D700 or a D3s, and a Canon D7000 or 5D Mark II, and using a 50mm 1.4 on each, "take", "make", "snap" and "capture" an "image" or a "picture" or a "photograph". Then we post them all here, and see which is better! Just sayin'.

250swb

Actually, I believe that the only way to resolve a thorny issue like this is to get say a Nikon D700 or a D3s, and a Canon D7000 or 5D Mark II, and using a 50mm 1.4 on each, "take", "make", "snap" and "capture" an "image" or a "picture" or a "photograph". Then we post them all here, and see which is better! Just sayin'.
No need for specific cameras, a simple device to show the difference in everyday real world testing would be to study the hat the photographer is wearing in each case. A baseball cap put on backwards would jibe with the 'snap' 'capture' and 'take' pic's and 'make' would be wearing a Sherlock Holmes style dearstalker to create his image. :D

Steve

Lars

I've tried to use the term "make" for some years now. Still not comfortable with it.

I guess it's my subconscious real man attitude objecting. :D

At the end of the day, I think this is a topic that nobody but self-conscious photographers care to discuss. Hehe.

Mike M

A baseball cap put on backwards would jibe with the 'snap' 'capture' and 'take' pic's and 'make' would be wearing a Sherlock Holmes style dearstalker to create his image. :D

Steve
Haha...I think you're on to something there

How about photo vests? What would a guy wearing a photo vest say?

At the end of the day, I think this is a topic that nobody but self-conscious photographers care to discuss. Hehe.
Hi Lars, don't be so assuming :) Most people take pictures for their own enjoyment, but there are a few that make a living shooting for the audience. This isn't directed at you but is just a general observation:

There's a few commercial photographers around here and they can probably relate to the situation of being hired by an art director and then realizing that he can't exactly explain what he wants. At this point, the photographer has to turn into a mind reader and be able to decipher what the client wants by just a few words or clues that might exist. A similar situation exists for content producers targeting a certain audience. These are good reasons to take theory seriously. Personally, I don't care what words people like/dislike and don't place value judgment. But the choices they make usually reveal something that can be useful when trying to make money from them.

Lloyd

Haha...I think you're on to something there

How about photo vests? What would a guy wearing a photo vest say?

Hi Lars, don't be so assuming :) Most people take pictures for their own enjoyment, but there are a few that make a living shooting for the audience. This isn't directed at you but is just a general observation:

There's a few commercial photographers around here and they can probably relate to the situation of being hired by an art director and then realizing that he can't exactly explain what he wants. At this point, the photographer has to turn into a mind reader and be able to decipher what the client wants by just a few words or clues that might exist. A similar situation exists for content producers targeting a certain audience. These are good reasons to take theory seriously. Personally, I don't care what words people like/dislike and don't place value judgment. But the choices they make usually reveal something that can be useful when trying to make money from them.
So... in that case, it would be to "conjure" the picture, or image, or photograph, or... Right?

Mike M

So... in that case, it would be to "conjure" the picture, or image, or photograph, or... Right?
What do you think, Lloyd? Certainly you can answer your own question?

Not every person asks a question because he is interested in an answer. Some question as a setup to try and mock any person that might try to give an answer.

Lars

Well, I certainly can tell the difference between taking and making a photo in my own photography. I spent the last four weeks on an island in the Baltic, shooting an 8x10" portfolio of old wooden fishing boats. 25 exposures in four weeks. Lots of scouting, planning, testing compositions, timing visits to the different fishing camps with good lighting conditions. A purely contemplative, deliberate approach. Definitely in the "making" category. While there, I stayed with my brother's family, lots of social snapshots. Quite a contrast, and perhaps different terminology is warranted for.

Lloyd

What do you think, Lloyd? Certainly you can answer your own question?

Not every person asks a question because he is interested in an answer. Some question as a setup to try and mock any person that might try to give an answer.
What is your point, Mike? Are you trying to bait me? I'm making light of this entire discussion because it's entirely a matter of semantics and opinion. If you like one term, use it. Every comment I made here is tongue in cheek. Sorry if that wasn't clear to you.

Lars: Good point. Different alchemy in different circumstances.

Chuck Jones

Subscriber Member
Mike, AMEN brother! I wish I had a dollar for every AD or CD I have worked with over the years that wanted me to "Read Their Minds" and "Create" the Photograph they envision. Most seem to have plenty of creative vision, they just lack in the ability to translate that into a working verbal dialog! Verbal Communication 101 should be a required course in art school, in my opinion.

Someone should issue "Captain America Official Decoder Rings" to every professional photographer, along with a Crystal Ball.... or the private phone number for The Amazing Kreskin!