The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Where do you go to find those rare, hard-to-find Leica M lenses?

E

edhohoho

I e-mailed Igor last week and got no response. Looking at forum threads from some people who have dealt with him in the past, for the most part they say he is good to deal with, but I have also seen a few comments about his grading of the condition of his items as being a bit on the generous side (the condition is actually worse than the assigned rating) as opposed to conservative (the condition is better than the assigned rating).

I think everyone I tried to contact from the above list of people has sent some kind of response, and relatively quickly at that. Perhaps I will try once more.

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
A while back I sold my 50 f/1.5 summarit to a guy in HK. I had been looking for a replacement summarit with better glass for a while, when one came up on RFF. I questioned the seller about the glass. He said that he was not a photographer, but that it looked good, and he promised me a return if it did not pass my inspection. Now this same seller is selling an original 1957 chrome MP that was with my summarit. Read down to his explanation of where it came from:http://www.rangefinderforum.com/pho...wproduct.php/product/12428/cat/1/limit/recent

The summarit that I bought from him is a beauty and the glass is in very good condition.

E

edhohoho

Cindy, you mentioned that you were able to find lenses with glass in nice condition such as the Summarit and Summarex, but how did you find them since it is so hard to find old lenses like these in such condition? Did you let go of the lenses you didn't want first, or did you hold onto them until you found an adequate replacement?

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Ed,
I did get a bad Summarit the first time, but I kept it for about 2 years thinking that I would just get it re-coated (but didn't get around to it.) I was lucky with the second Summarit (read above...from the junk pile on an original MP.:ROTFL:)
I bought a Summarex from ebay (with a guarantee of a return) and it turned out bad. It had haze and fungus, so I returned it. I bought the second Summarex from a dealer and had his assurance of good glass (of course, that costs).
I bought my 50 lux pre-ASPH from a friend and foolishly sold it and bought the ASPH version. When I realized my mistake, I was lucky that the buyer, (a nice member here :angel:), sold it back to me.
My 35 lux pre-ASPH came from RFF. It was a lucky find.
I have learned to worry about the glass and not the body (but I have been pretty lucky there, too.) I don't worry about boxes and cases...that puts them more in the realm of the collector and I don't have the money for collector items. It has taken a lot of time and I have made a lot of mis-steps,:p but it has been fun and I enjoy using them all.