The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

M9 Sensor cleaning in New York?

julianf73

Can anyone recommend a good sensor cleaning shop in New York (Manhattan, Brooklyn, Queens)?

I tried doing it myself with the Lenspen kit, and I didn't have much luck.

Thanks!!

baudolino

Can anyone recommend a good sensor cleaning shop in New York (Manhattan, Brooklyn, Queens)?

I tried doing it myself with the Lenspen kit, and I didn't have much luck.

Thanks!!
Just get the Eclipse solution and PecPad spatulas (either full frame or even better in APS-H size) and do it yourself. No need to pay an external service - at the rate the M9 sensor gets dirty in normal use, you'd be doing nothing else than sending your camera to the "cleaning shop". I get these cleaning supplies from here http://www.cameraclean.co.uk but you should be able to find a US source. I suspect the reason you are not successful cleaning the sensor with a Lenspen is the oily drops that (especially new) cameras' shutter tends to spray over the sensor - that's why you need a wet cleaning kit. Also, when you clean the sensor, it is better to "push" with the spatula rather than "drag". That way you will make sure that you push all the dirt right to the edge of the sensor. In any case, it is best to take a shot of a white sheet of paper at f16 right after cleaning and inspect the image on your computer to see if you succeeded in removing all dirt. If not, just repeat. And don't worry, you will do no damage to the sensor. And of course, it is best to use a rocket blower before you wet clean, and also after, to remove any loose dirt.

250swb

I'm sure the other guys won't mind me saying that cleaning the sensor properly doesn't take any real skill, you just need the correct kit to do it with. So I totally agree with baudolino's comments about needing to wet clean the sensor. You are not going to find another person on the planet who will be more careful than yourself in cleaning your sensor, so its a good time to learn :)

Steve