The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

M8.2

John Black

Actually it sounded like a new 1.25x and the 1.4x - something about cross hairs? It could have been a Google translation issue. Sounds like a must have for the new 50mm F.95.

M

matmcdermott

focus accuracy? the external finder is just for framing ... I presume you meant the magnifier?

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
If the view finder magnification was increased from .68 to say .85 ,you would lose the ability to frame the 24 thru the viewfinder .Maybe this will become an option on the M8.2. A higher viewfinder magnification would be desirable to increase focusing accuracy with the 1.4 lenses. It look like maybe the external viewfinder might also be a 21/24 finder providing some flexibility for the future.

robsteve

Subscriber
focus accuracy? the external finder is just for framing ... I presume you meant the magnifier?
The current M8 has framelines for the 24mm. The older 24mm brightline finder is in the M8.2 picture.

I looked to see if there was any hint of a higher mag viewfinder, such as .72 on the masking, but it doesn't show in the pictures posted. The M7 has .85 or .58 written in the mask on the bottom of the main finder window.

Robert

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
Rob I can t find the translated version of the article ..but I read it somewhere...I think there is a new viewfinder that covers the 21 and the 24 and maybe is set up for the M8...like the Zeiss 25/28 .....what would be nice is one that is really 28/32 to cover the use of the 21 or the 24 on the M8. Or then maybe I am just wishing ..again. Roger

M

matmcdermott

The current M8 has framelines for the 24mm. The older 24mm brightline finder is in the M8.2 picture.

I looked to see if there was any hint of a higher mag viewfinder, such as .72 on the masking, but it doesn't show in the pictures posted. The M7 has .85 or .58 written in the mask on the bottom of the main finder window.

Robert
I haven't seen anything that indicates that the 8.2 has anything other than the .68 finder.

bradhusick

There's not enough here in the M8.2 to upgrade either of my M8s. Why does Leica worry about protecting the "value of the camera body" when most of the investment is in the lenses anyway? You don't see Nikon or Canon or MF manufacturers sitting on new technology, they introduce the higher res, lower noise version and let the market decide what to do with the prior model's used prices.

Don't get me wrong, I love shooting with my M cameras, both film and digital. There's no better glass available anywhere. The M8 files are lovely. But we all see where the sensor technology is going and right now the D700 sets the bar for 35mm sensors, while Canon will no doubt have something tasty in a week or so. C'mon Leica, we want more res (14-16MP) and lower noise up to ISO 6400, even if we can't have full frame yet. Full frame is just harder when the lens-to-film plane distance is so short. At least add the M8 to the a-la-carte program and let us choose what options we want.

End rave.

P

pascal_meheut

There's not enough here in the M8.2 to upgrade either of my M8s. Why does Leica worry about protecting the "value of the camera body" when most of the investment is in the lenses anyway? You don't see Nikon or Canon or MF manufacturers sitting on new technology, they introduce the higher res, lower noise version and let the market decide what to do with the prior model's used prices.
Hasn't Capture One announced an update program? I even wonder if some manufacturers had one in the past for MF backs.

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
Rob I can t find the translated version of the article ..but I read it somewhere...I think there is a new viewfinder that covers the 21 and the 24 and maybe is set up for the M8...like the Zeiss 25/28 .....what would be nice is one that is really 28/32 to cover the use of the 21 or the 24 on the M8. Or then maybe I am just wishing ..again. Roger
Found the translated version which explains this. Two new finders 21 and 24 with frames for both the FF and 1.3 F sensors....so the 24 will have a field of view of 24 with an inner frame of approx. 32.

clay stewart

Found the translated version which explains this. Two new finders 21 and 24 with frames for both the FF and 1.3 F sensors....so the 24 will have a field of view of 24 with an inner frame of approx. 32.
So, there are no frame lines in the camera, for 21 or 24 mm?:eek: Live view would sure come in handy for things like this, if there was some way to put the rangefinder focusing in the live view. I guess that would take away the true rangefinder experience though. The quieter shutter/delayed cocking sounds good though.

Last edited:

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
So, there are no frame lines in the camera, for 21 or 24 mm?:eek: Live view would sure come in handy for things like this, if there was some way to put the rangefinder focusing in the live view. I guess that would take away the true rangefinder experience though. The quieter shutter/delayed cocking sounds good though.
Clay I have seen nothing that indicates the M8.2 finder is different than the M8...except that it is set to match the lens FOV at 2M rather than .7M. This of course would make the 24/35 frame set pretty tight and maybe difficult for eyeglass users. Rather the 24 will clearly be large enough to block some of the finder . For precise framing some will prefer an external finder...others will just use the viewfinder . I use the external finder for my 21/2,8 where its required and have found no significant issue with using external finders ..once I shot enough to get used to them. Roger

kevin

Why does Leica worry about protecting the "value of the camera body"
True. As you said, it's the lenses that count the most.

I'm hoping that with the introduction of the M9 they'll do the same thing they did with their film bodies, (MP/M7) and offer one body for the traditionalists (The M8.3?) and another with updated features and improved controls, maybe even - gasp! - a different body shape entirely than the 1954 version we're still living with. :grin:

I'm sticking with my R-D1 for now because it's controls are just so sweet, and the IQ is good enough for me.

N

nei1

Wonder if they will offer a black paint upgrade?:thumbup:
-bob

They do Bob,it comes as a kit.The delux version(spraycan)is a snip at 499euros but is guaranteed environment friendly and there should be enough left over for those odd jobs around the house.:ROTFL:
p.s(leica note)if you have the silver body we sugest you buy 2 cans and give an extra coat .

Last edited:
N

nei1

Bob its occured to me that what I thought was an amusing comment was in fact a serious enquiry.Hope my post did not cause offence as absolutely none was intended,my sincere apologies if this was the case,regards Neil.

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Bob its occured to me that what I thought was an amusing comment was in fact a serious enquiry.Hope my post did not cause offence as absolutely none was intended,my sincere apologies if this was the case,regards Neil.
No offense taken.
I liked your response, actually, although you might have understated the price.
In all seriousness, I would like a black paint version, but not enough to pay for the difference between the 8.2 and what I might get on the used market for my brace of M8s.
-bob

N

nei1

I dont see why the M8 cant be made available a-la-carte.Personally I find the viewfinder confusing and would like the option of single frames for 35,50 and 90 (equiv).There must be a reason I suppose but its difficult to see what it is.
All the best,Neil.