The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Cron 28 ... why so expensive?

paul25

The used price for this lens is very high...
It's over $3600 at KEH...

Why is this lens so expensive?

Maybe I should just go for the Elmarit 28.... :(

thrice

Depends where you're buying. I've seen them new on the shelf at some places. KEH are dreaming of profiteering like so many people taking advantage of the Leica M lens shortage.

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
The 28 Elmarit is my most used lens. Granted, I've never used a 28 Cron, but if I want shallow DoF, I'm usually using a longer focal length.

Best,

Matt

jtwloh

KEH usually have accurate description of the condition of the items for sale, with grading such as EX+, EX, BGN, etc. To give potential buyer a certain confidence before purchasing. Of course, some may still argue that it is a subjective matter.

Chuck Jones

Subscriber Member
Paul, $3,600 is a bit much for a used 28 'Cron, no doubt. I'd look around a bit and see what other options you can come up with, but I would also certainly suggest that the lens you want is the 'Cron. Of everything in my rather extensive bag, the 28 'Cron is my favorite lens of the lot. The drawing signature it has is very different to my eyes than the 28 Elmarit, but judge for yourself.

SYGTAFOTO

As a reference, I sold my 28 cron about a month or two ago locally for $3200.. I think the going range is around $3000-$3400. But ofcourse, I could be wrong.

Double Negative

Not Available
As a reference, I sold my 28 cron about a month or two ago locally for $3200.. I think the going range is around $3000-$3400. But ofcourse, I could be wrong.
That's about right. I wouldn't pay more for one. Some recent sales here were within that range also.

Why so expensive? Well, it IS a really nice lens. The only other competition (spec-wise) are the Voigtländer 28mm f/1.9 and f/2 Ultrons (and they both have... "Considerations"). The closest Zeiss ZM is the Biogon T* 2,8/28 (a stop slower). So it enjoys a bit of a niche - being f/2 and darn good at it.

And yeah, it's got a Leica label on it. :p

seakayaker

That's about right. I wouldn't pay more for one. Some recent sales here were within that range also.

Why so expensive? Well, it IS a really nice lens. The only other competition (spec-wise) are the Voigtländer 28mm f/1.9 and f/2 Ultrons (and they both have... "Considerations"). The closest Zeiss ZM is the Biogon T* 2,8/28 (a stop slower). So it enjoys a bit of a niche - being f/2 and darn good at it.

And yeah, it's got a Leica label on it. :p
. . . . . I use a copy of the Voigtlander 28/1.9 which I bought from Steve @ Cameraquest last spring. Love the quality of the lens and the photographs that have been produced with both my M9 and MP.

An extremely good price point when compared to the Leica 28/2 at $3995.00.

Sample photos can be seen at http://www.flickr.com/photos/26672618@N03/sets/72157626465325520/with/5629618166/

JSRockit

I think the considerations that DN may have been talking about regarding the 28mm 1.9 is its size, not its quality.

Double Negative

Not Available
Exactly; I'm not saying the Ultrons are bad lenses at all. They both actually have their charm (one older, one newer in character). If I had to choose though I'd go with the 1.9. Though I'm actually interested in the 28 cron. I think it might be my next lens.

Of course, none of these compare to the 28 Elmarit-M. That thing is tiiiiny and darn good. I went with the Color Slopars for my tiny glass. Low cost, really small, very good optically save for maybe a little distortion or flare (neither worth worrying about). I don't have to think about just tossing them in a coat pocket.

seakayaker

I think the considerations that DN may have been talking about regarding the 28mm 1.9 is its size, not its quality.
. . . . . with Voigtlander lens there has been threads regarding not all copies being equal due to manufacturing processes. I currently own the 28/1.9, 50/1.5 and 90/3.5 Voigtlander lens. I did own the 75/2.5 lens but sold it. All of these were LTM lens. I have enjoyed all of the Voigtlander lens that I have owned and have had no problems with which is why I put a plug in for them when people have concerns about prices. I believe they bring a lot of bang for the buck!

As far as size, they are both the same width, 53cm, but the length of the 28/1.9 is longer. The Leica is about .25 ounces heavier.

A consideration is that the 29/1.9 is a LTM lens and you do need the LTM to M adaptor, a $59.00 item.

In reading the reviews from Sean Reid's site he has had favorable remarks regarding the Voigtlander LTM lenses over the years.

For the record, I did not believe DN remarks were out of line. Both of us just sharing our experiences.

I would love to have a Leica 28/2 some day (Money, Time, & Patience) but for the time being the 28/1.9 is the go to lens for that focal length.

Chuck Jones

Subscriber Member
Exactly; I'm not saying the Ultrons are bad lenses at all. They both actually have their charm (one older, one newer in character). If I had to choose though I'd go with the 1.9. Though I'm actually interested in the 28 cron. I think it might be my next lens.

Of course, none of these compare to the 28 Elmarit-M. That thing is tiiiiny and darn good. I went with the Color Slopars for my tiny glass. Low cost, really small, very good optically save for maybe a little distortion or flare (neither worth worrying about). I don't have to think about just tossing them in a coat pocket.
Good move DN. After shooting a 28mm 'Cron, I think you'll agree that most everything else just seems like yet another lens...

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Did I mention the 28 Elmarit was my most used lens? Well, I decided to try a 28 Cron and see how it looked. It is wonderful! Sharp to the corners with great depth and character. I know those sound like just words, but I can't think of better ones. Here's from this morning.

Damn, I like this lens.:D

Matt

Chuck Jones

Subscriber Member
Careful Matt, your on the "Slippery Slope™" :ROTFL:

The 28mm 'Cron is my own favorite lens. I've used it since just after it came out, and still find that nothing else in my bag works as well for me. Stick it on a Nex-5N also. You'll be amazed all over again when you see how good it is for Video.

Double Negative

Not Available
The only thing that bothers me about the f/2 Ultron is the focus shift. I also own the C Sonnar and 50mm Nokton, so this is nothing new to me... But I didn't want yet another lens that I have to "think about" when using.

Good move DN. After shooting a 28mm 'Cron, I think you'll agree that most everything else just seems like yet another lens...
That's kind of what I'm thinking. I want a fast(er) wide to pair up with my 50 'Lux. Though I have to admit, I'm pretty jaded/spoiled by the Biogon T* 2,8/25 ZM lens - that thing is a rockstar. :)

@Matt; that is a sweet shot!

Chuck Jones

Subscriber Member
As long as you can live with giving up that one stop of speed and live with the wider 25mm focal length, that Biogon is indeed an excellent lens and at a more attractive price. Given these Leica's keep rising in price, probably worth considering it as an alternative in any case.

I will admit that as the price of replacement lenses rises, I do begin to think twice about what goes out "on the street" with me these days. I hate having to consider the value of my lens in dollars and cents vs. picking the right tool for the job.

Double Negative

Not Available
As long as you can live with giving up that one stop of speed and live with the wider 25mm focal length, that Biogon is indeed an excellent lens and at a more attractive price. Given these Leica's keep rising in price, probably worth considering it as an alternative in any case.

I will admit that as the price of replacement lenses rises, I do begin to think twice about what goes out "on the street" with me these days. I hate having to consider the value of my lens in dollars and cents vs. picking the right tool for the job.
Oh, I already have the 2,8/25 (even reviewed it) and I can't imagine a lens better than this, except maybe into the far corners wide open, but even that's splitting hairs. But there are times I wish I had that extra stop, and of course better build quality (I'm mixed on the ZMs) and built-in coding (I'm a master with a Sharpie). Bonus that there are actually framelines for 28mm on the M (I despise external VFs and just use the whole internal VF).

Price-wise, yeah... That's a bit of a pill to swallow! Especially when traveling with the M9 and a couple of lenses... I don't often frequent shady areas, but it's still in the back of your mind. Insurance is the only way to go.