The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Road Trip . It's COLD

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I agree thanks Doug for posting those. Great location to shoot.

Guess i will have to put that one in the Gallery too Jack. BTW that car was just off I 40 in the park as a symbol of Route 66

Guy Mancuso

Asph . I had the 24mm and decided i needed the 21mm more. I sold my WATE too and i like the 21 asph better than the WATE plus I picked up a stop

carstenw

I am toying with the idea of trading in the WATE for something more convenient. I can't stand fiddling with the menu, the viewfinder, and the whole hassle in general, although I do really like the lens. If there were no IR filters and some kind of per-focal length key in the lens, it would be great, but as it is, it sucks and I barely use it.

However, I have had some bad experiences with selling and trading, and I have lost my desire for this. The most recent was a guy in Hamburg named Stefan Störmer who wanted to trade his 90 Cron Asph for my 90 Macro kit. My kit was perfect, LNIB and still in warranty, although I don't know if that is tranferrable. I had a standing offer for €1800 for the kit, but decided to do the trade, as the 90 Cron Ashp was what I wanted anyway.

Given that his lens had no box or anything except for two caps, and was not coded, I should probably have held off for a better deal. A little earlier there was an ad for a 90AA for €1350, and it was there for a while, but the guy was not interested in trading, and by the time I had found a buyer for the 90 Macro, it was gone. I could probably have found another, but I was impatient, and Stefan Störmer was the first to contact me (via LUF ad), so I decided to do it, given that he would throw in an extra €95 for coding. There was some talk of how to meet, and eventually he announced that he would be near Berlin, and I took the train out to meet him. He appeared nice enough, we examined each other's lenses, and decided to conclude the trade.

Then he said that he had "forgotten" the €95, so naive as I was, I just gave him my account number and said good enough. He asked for partial reimbursement of the gas cost, which I found a bit annoying, as I had previously been under the impression that he was going to be there anyway, and given that my lens was potentially worth a chunk more, I thought he could just swallow that cost, but in the end we agreed on €75. I thought I had not said that the filter would be included, so I took my B+W IR filter with me and we parted. When I got home, I checked on the my ad, and realised that I had promised the filter too, so I emailed him for his address, which he sent.

And then, nothing. No money. I emailed him, no answer. I have his address, his phone numbers, and can easily find him, but given that I still have the filter, I am only out perhaps €30, and anyway, I have no record of our agreement.

I find it incredibly frustrating how cheap people can be, and how they will mess with their reputation for a few bucks. The guy is a notar (notary?), and ought to be earning good money. So why?

I have lost quite a bit of faith in people recently like that, and don't feel like buying or selling anything any more. I do like the lens, although the thought has flashed through my mind if it is stolen, and I have meant to ask Leica about the serial number, but keep forgetting. I would be surprised, since he is too easy to track, but I just want to know.

It never ceases to surprise me how greedy and cheap people can be.

Anyway, that story was uncalled for. Bottom line: I have thought more than once of selling the WATE, buying the 21mm and the CV12, and keeping my CV15, but I can't quite pull the trigger. I am afraid of losing a bunch of money on the deal again, and what if I want it back when the FF M9 without IR problems comes along? It would be a pretty cool lens to have then, and the 12 will be quite useless.

I think I will just get a CV12 and CV21M and call it good enough.

Guy Mancuso

I know buying and selling can be such a hassle , i actually hate it anymore just becuase it gets the blood pressure up . i just listed my Oly 24 shift and i would rather not sell it but I may just buy a 4/3rds camera for certain things but the whole process of buying and selling is a pain and some folks are cheap. i give half the stuff away and sometimes you just feel it's not worth it. But Carsten your sitting on a expensive lens and that is something that doe's not do well with me . If it sit's than it is gone. List it here and se how it goes. i switched for the 21mm Leica asph and i am NOT sorry for it and I love my 12mm CV and i bought the Zeiss 18mm which i really did not need but i do like it, it's different than the 21mm. I'm waiting on Leica to come with a super wide prime like a 15 3.5

jonoslack

I am toying with the idea of trading in the WATE for something more convenient. I can't stand fiddling with the menu, the viewfinder, and the whole hassle in general, although I do really like the lens. If there were no IR filters and some kind of per-focal length key in the lens, it would be great, but as it is, it sucks and I barely use it.
Hi Carsten, of course, it's horses for courses, and like you, my WATE is lying around a bit - more because it's big than because it's not convenient. I was thinking of selling it, then I remembered how much I used it in that sunny autumn weather in Crete - truth be told, this isn't the time of year for big wides in northern europe, and when it is , then the CV15 does a grand job and fits in a back pocket.

But - when the summer comes again . . ..

As for the 21, mine was pre-asph, but I loved the results, OTOH, you really do need an external viewfinder for it - I don't bother much with the CV 15 - I can visualise it pretty well, but I could never visualise the 21, and I don't much like external finders. I was looking for a silver 24, but that search continues, in the meantime I did some swapping with Vieri (lovely bloke - I hope he felt I behaved right too), and ended up with the 25 zeiss, and the 50 softar (which I love). The 25 is great as you don't need an external finder.

So, I'm not telling you not to, (how should I), but I found the 21 a fiddle to use as well, and I suspect the WATE may come into it's own again when the summer comes along. As for the extra stop . . . well, don't know about you, but I don't really shoot wide angles wide open anyway.

I actually feel the same way about the MATE at the moment . . . . but when I think of getting rid of it, I think of that little bag with WATE, MATE and 75 'cron for walking trips . . . and I pause. As you say; if the M9 is full frame, those lenses will be a wonderful combination, and I'm not sure that I could contemplate buying them again if I ever sold them . . . . .

woodyspedden

However, I have had some bad experiences with selling and trading, and I have lost my desire for this. The most recent was a guy in Hamburg named Stefan Störmer who wanted to trade his 90 Cron Asph for my 90 Macro kit. My kit was perfect, LNIB and still in warranty, although I don't know if that is tranferrable. I had a standing offer for €1800 for the kit, but decided to do the trade, as the 90 Cron Ashp was what I wanted anyway.

Given that his lens had no box or anything except for two caps, and was not coded, I should probably have held off for a better deal. A little earlier there was an ad for a 90AA for €1350, and it was there for a while, but the guy was not interested in trading, and by the time I had found a buyer for the 90 Macro, it was gone. I could probably have found another, but I was impatient, and Stefan Störmer was the first to contact me (via LUF ad), so I decided to do it, given that he would throw in an extra €95 for coding. There was some talk of how to meet, and eventually he announced that he would be near Berlin, and I took the train out to meet him. He appeared nice enough, we examined each other's lenses, and decided to conclude the trade.

Then he said that he had "forgotten" the €95, so naive as I was, I just gave him my account number and said good enough. He asked for partial reimbursement of the gas cost, which I found a bit annoying, as I had previously been under the impression that he was going to be there anyway, and given that my lens was potentially worth a chunk more, I thought he could just swallow that cost, but in the end we agreed on €75. I thought I had not said that the filter would be included, so I took my B+W IR filter with me and we parted. When I got home, I checked on the my ad, and realised that I had promised the filter too, so I emailed him for his address, which he sent.

And then, nothing. No money. I emailed him, no answer. I have his address, his phone numbers, and can easily find him, but given that I still have the filter, I am only out perhaps €30, and anyway, I have no record of our agreement.

I find it incredibly frustrating how cheap people can be, and how they will mess with their reputation for a few bucks. The guy is a notar (notary?), and ought to be earning good money. So why?

I have lost quite a bit of faith in people recently like that, and don't feel like buying or selling anything any more. I do like the lens, although the thought has flashed through my mind if it is stolen, and I have meant to ask Leica about the serial number, but keep forgetting. I would be surprised, since he is too easy to track, but I just want to know.

It never ceases to surprise me how greedy and cheap people can be.

Anyway, that story was uncalled for. Bottom line: I have thought more than once of selling the WATE, buying the 21mm and the CV12, and keeping my CV15, but I can't quite pull the trigger. I am afraid of losing a bunch of money on the deal again, and what if I want it back when the FF M9 without IR problems comes along? It would be a pretty cool lens to have then, and the 12 will be quite useless.

I think I will just get a CV12 and CV21M and call it good enough.
Carsten

I used the buy and sell thread on this forum and sold the WATE with finder, 15 3.5, 35 Cron, 35-70 R Elmarit, 70-180 R Elmarit and the R9 DMR. I think that many of the potential buyers for this gear are right here or over on the LUF. I did not find it a hassle at all. YMMV

Woody

jonoslack

Carsten

I used the buy and sell thread on this forum and sold the WATE with finder, 15 3.5, 35 Cron, 35-70 R Elmarit, 70-180 R Elmarit and the R9 DMR. I think that many of the potential buyers for this gear are right here or over on the LUF. I did not find it a hassle at all. YMMV

Woody

Yes Woody, but sometimes you'll get someone who just won't give something up when they know they should :p

Have a great Christmas, I'll be watching my email, and yes, do get your partner that expensive present :)

Terry

Interesting conversation on the WATE. This was a big topic of conversation for me over the weekend as I was contemplting buying one. There seem to be more sellers than buyers these days.

TimWright

Interesting conversation on the WATE. This was a big topic of conversation for me over the weekend as I was contemplting buying one. There seem to be more sellers than buyers these days.
Funny I bought one with my 30% off deal (at the old price as well) with the intention of selling it. I was then going to buy a couple of lenses that I wanted. Once I had received it and used it with the frankenfinder I now find it hard to part with. The quality is superb and I really like the finder. I guess I will just have to find another way to fund the other lenses.

jonoslack

Funny I bought one with my 30% off deal (at the old price as well) with the intention of selling it. I was then going to buy a couple of lenses that I wanted. Once I had received it and used it with the frankenfinder I now find it hard to part with. The quality is superb and I really like the finder. I guess I will just have to find another way to fund the other lenses.
Quite Right Tim
Mine's staying - I reckon it's these dismal winter days in northern europe wot does it - there really isn't much demand for a wide angle.

D

DougDolde

The Petrified Forest NP has short hours. Opens at 8 am and closes at 5 pm. So in the summer you don't get to be there for sunrise or sunset. Actually now is a better time for that.

Another cool place in this area is a Navajo County Park about 13 miles north of Winslow. It's called The Little Painted Desert. I have been there many times and only seen a horse, no people usually. There are no rangers and really no restrictions. You can walk all over the Chinle formation.

D

DougDolde

If you go north from here through the Hopi reservation and head west toward Tuba City there is a little known place called Coal Mine Canyon. Again, no rangers just cattle and a bull. Ain't Arizona great? These are all summer photos...best time I think.