The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leica R or Contax with internal zoom & focus

Sebben

Hi Getdpi,

I was hoping that the knowledge of this forum could help me out.

I am looking for leica r or contax zoom lens models that don’t extend or contract through the zoom range. If the length of the lens changes slightly while focusing it is ok. Manual aperture is also preferred.

Any ideas about what models if any meet these requirements?

It looks like the LEICA-35-70MM F4 may be all internal?

Other zoom lenses from other manufacturers are also of interest to me.

:)

S.

bensonga

Hi Stebben,

I have two Leica R zooms, both are the latest ROM versions. The 35-70 f4 does extend/contract by about 1 inch when you zoom thru the range. The 80-200 f4 does not...it's entirely internal zooming and focusing.

Gary

Sebben

Hi Gary,
Thank you for the information. Does the 35-70 f4 extend/contract when focusing?

Sebastian

bensonga

Yes it does, but only slightly more than 1/4 inch. I just measured the actual distances from the end of the lens barrel for both zooming and focusing. The lens is at it's maximum extension from the end of the lens barrel when it is at 35mm and at closest focus.

Moving from 70 to 35....the lens extends 3/8 inch beyond the end of the barrel (from about 1/8 inch recessed, when at the 70mm position).

At 35mm and closest focus (maximum extension), the lens is less than 3/4 inch from the end of the lens barrel and has moved 1/4 inch from the infinity focus to closest focus positions.

I'm curious.....how is this factoring into whatever decision you are making re lens selection?

Gary

Sebben

Wow, thanks for the exact details Gary, as for why I would like to know...

I am looking at lenses that I can mount on my GH2 with rails and a mattebox. If the lens changes length significantly whilst zooming or focusing it would mean that the mattebox would also have to be repositioned every time.

Is this the 80 - 200mm lens you mentioned?

Sebastian

bensonga

That's the one.....it's a beautiful lens. If you end up with one of these for you GH2, I'd be very interested to know more about your setup. As it so happens, I just ordered a GH2 (with the 14-140 lens) yesterday. I already have the Panasonic M43 to Leica R lens adapter (which I've used now and then on my Panny G1). I hadn't really given much thought to shooting video with the GH2....but it might be fun. I'd enjoy seeing some of your work with it.

Gary

Sebben

What a coincidence, I also ordered my GH2 yesterday.

Now I am looking forward to seeing some video from you, since you have two lenses I am considering :)

I was just looking at some images of the leica R 28 - 90mm, it also appears to be internal focus and zoom.

mathomas

I'm pretty sure all the mid-range Contax zooms (CY-mount, anyway) were push-pull in design, so they naturally change length. There may be some outliers with internal zooming, but I don't know of them offhand.

bensonga

Now I am looking forward to seeing some video from you, since you have two lenses I am considering :)
I'll give it a try with the Leica 35-70 for sure (though I had been planning to use the Panny 14-140 lens for any video I might attempt). I'm not sure how well the 80-200 would work on a camera as small as the GH2....it would be the equivalent of 160-400mm but without the benefit of image stabilization. I have limited video experience in any case, and most of it with actual video cameras (Canon HF20 and Panasonic AG-HMC40).

I'll stick my 50mm Summicron on there too and see how it performs....the still photos with this lens on the G1 have been excellent.

Gary

Stuart Richardson

What a coincidence, I also ordered my GH2 yesterday.

I was just looking at some images of the leica R 28 - 90mm, it also appears to be internal focus and zoom.
The 28-90mm moves in and out quite a bit during zooming, don't you remember? It does during focus too, but not as much. I think all the zooms I remember change physical length during zooming...

Sebben

The 28-90mm moves in and out quite a bit during zooming, don't you remember? It does during focus too, but not as much. I think all the zooms I remember change physical length during zooming...
I couldn't remember if it was the 28-90 or 35-70mm f/2.8.

When I touch R glass my mind fogs over because of their amazing construction so it becomes quite hard to remember minor details like if its dimensions change through the zoom range. :D

Stuart Richardson

You know what you really want: http://leicarumors.com/2010/04/18/leica-cinema-lenses-set-of-eight-178000.aspx/
It can be yours for the price of 8 S2's. No problem.

The 80-200 is supposed to be excellent, but if you are looking for a 180/2.8 APO replacement, the 70-180 f/2.8 is the one to look for. Of course, it is huge and expensive. I would keep your sights on the 80-200.
I seem to remember the 70-180 is internal focus and zooming though, but don't quote me on it.

bensonga

Could you double-check that Gary? I no longer have this lens but IIRC it extends when focussing.
Doug's right.....it's extends by 1 inch when focusing from near to far. I must have only checked the zoom range when I pulled the 80-200 out of it's case (which I confirmed does not change). I think it's my Canon 80-200 f4L lens which is entirely internal focusing and zooming.

Gary

robsteve

Subscriber
In regards to changing in length when focusing, I think all the lenses will, with the exception of the internal focus lenses. Leica will show on their web site, or you can try one of Erwin Puts books to see which are the internal focus lenses.

Just from memory and having owned them:

19mm f2.8
180mm f2.8 APO
180mm f2 APO
280mm f4 APO (Doug can confirm this, I haven't owned one)
400mm f2.8 APO
2800mm f2.8 APO
Any of the Modular APO lenses.

Unless I am missing one or two, I think the rest of them change in length when focusing, be it even a small amount for some.

Robert

doug

In regards to changing in length when focusing, I think all the lenses will, with the exception of the internal focus lenses.

280mm f4 APO (Doug can confirm this, I haven't owned one)

Robert is correct. The 280mm f/4 APO is internal focus and doesn't change length when focussing.