The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leica M 24mm summilux filter question

Photojazz

I have seen reference to a filter the lux uses, but then cannot find one. It says:

Series 7 lens filters in lens hood. I see a "holder" for sale, but I don't see a "filter"!

But it's a screw on hood, so I would think you can screw a filter in, what size is it, anyone? I do not have the filter to fit, so I do not know.

I am really confused about what to do on this lens, I rather fitured the filter would clip on, and you could put a standard filter on it, but doesn't seem that way. What do others do?

thanks.

Chuck Jones

Subscriber Member
Filters for both the 21 & 24 'Lux fit inside the hood, then the hood screws on to hold the assembly in place. There are no "screw on" filters available that I've found. Take care in choosing also, as many filters of the correct size are too wide in the metal band to fit correctly into the hood.

Photojazz

Well, thanks Chuck, that sure wouldn't work for a polarizer, as you could not turn it. I can see where the threads would not line up properly for the screw in style and then hood screw into that, so I guess that is why. I may wind up just letting the hood be my protection.

dfarkas

Workshop Member
Leica makes an adapter for the 24 Lux to take standard E72 threaded filters. You would use this instead of the hood. Useful if you wanted to use an ND filter or a circular polarizer.

Leica Adapter for 24mm f/1.4 to accept E72 Filter

As far as protective filters, while Leica doesn't make a Series 7 UVa, B+W does. We're currently out of stock, but the pat number is 66-011089. They sell for $40.

Hope this helps.

Photojazz

Thanks David, I saw the adapter for sale @ 99 bucks, but I never saw an E72 filter! LOL.

I did see upon examination that the threads are actually reverse of what you think of for a filter, so I can see that I can't use regular filters without some kind of reversing ring.

Ok David, that makes a lot more sense now. I got a better idea of how that adapter works.

dfarkas

Workshop Member
Thanks David, I saw the adapter for sale @ 99 bucks, but I never saw an E72 filter! LOL.

I did see upon examination that the threads are actually reverse of what you think of for a filter, so I can see that I can't use regular filters without some kind of reversing ring.

Ok David, that makes a lot more sense now. I got a better idea of how that adapter works.
Just to clarify, the adapter does take standard 72mm threaded filters (E72). No reversing ring is necessary. Just remove the hood, screw the adapter on to the lens, then mount a filter on the front of the whole thing.

David

S

swamiji

Just to clarify, the adapter does take standard 72mm threaded filters (E72). No reversing ring is necessary. Just remove the hood, screw the adapter on to the lens, then mount a filter on the front of the whole thing.

David
However the adapter is weak, and easily bent. I now only use for a Polarizer. Leica does make Series VII UV filters, as does B+W.

I found in a old Camera repair shop some Series VII filters for cheap. The shop keeper had them for decades, and though there was no camera made that used them. I got them for about $7. All like new.