The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Lens Shoot-Out (50mm)

I

ItsReallyDarren

Great shootout. I have a Color Skopar 50/2.5 and I've always wondered if a Planar would be a worthwhile step up. After reading the write up now I want a Sonnar :rolleyes:

Hausen

Nice shootout. Having the Sonnar I always covet the Summicron:D Last week or so be wondering if I should put my name on the waiting list for a Summicron.

Double Negative

Not Available
Thanks for the feedback, guys! :)

The Planar is the "best" lens of the group, but the Color Skopar is no slouch - and considering the price... But yeah, the Sonnar is something special unto itself. I love mine!

I hope to add a Noctilux-M 50mm f/0.95 ASPH to the mix come December <fingers crossed>. We should also find out if the rumored Summicron-M 50mm f/2 ASPH comes to fruition. Exciting times ahead!

We've updated the shoot-out to include edge and corner performance comparisons wide open!

Enjoy! :)

Zoffdino

For the mere mortals, the Plannar is a blessing. It delivers 80% of the Summicron's performance at 50% of the price.

I had a chance to test out the Planner 50mm with the M9. I like its warmer look a lot.

Double Negative

Not Available
Agreed; the Planar is an outstanding lens - especially for the money! I'd say it's more than 80% of the Summicron's performance. The only place it falls short a bit is the slight barrel distortion and maybe into the corners/edges (there's also the mechanical build to consider).

What I'm a bit eager to see is the new Summicron ASPH version that's supposed to come out next month. By rights, it should be perfection.

dude163

You could always buy a vintage Summicron, they are a lot cheaper..........Mine is a 1964 version and its awesome , especially for 400 bucks

I

ItsReallyDarren

I'm still a fan of older lenses. The newer lenses have better edge performance but I like the look produced by the older lenses like the Summicron. The Collapsible Summicron is still one of my favorite lenses. I guess that's why I'm drawn to the Sonnar.

iiiNelson

Agree with Edward and I don't think it gives up anything to the Summicron optically. I think it's just a matter of drawing preference. The Summicron is equally sharp with a more neutral look where the Planar has more punch and pop to my eyes. Neither is a bad or better choice than the other. It's a matter of personal preference and for me it was the Planar as well.

It's a matter of the Zeiss "3D look" or the Leica "glow" look. There's room for both types in my bag.

Double Negative

Not Available
Exactly... There is really no "best" lens. Same reason I have a Planar AND a Sonnar. :)

Go figure, I just acquired a Summilux-M 50mm f/1,4 ASPH. Too late for this shoot-out. If my luck pans out next month when I'm in Germany I'll be rocking a Noctilux-M 50mm f/0,95 ASPH. But the situation being what it is, I'm not holding my breath just yet.

Might have to have a "do over." :D

Godfrey

Nice job!

I have the Skopar too, a remarkably nice lens for the money and size. Just finished a roll using it with the M4-2 .. It does very nicely.

I suspect if I go for another 50mm, it will be a 'Cron ... For the Leica rendering. but both the planar and the sonnar look great!

iiiNelson

Agreed.. I'm waiting for a new 50 Summilux to become available from my dealer. I refuse to pay used premiums these days for one and it's no rush... I already have a 50.

Agree about the Skopar... never owned one but I've seen great results with it and the 75 Heliar too. I had a 50 Nokton and it was great for black and white pictures. Very classic look to it.

Double Negative

Not Available
Thanks, Godfrey! Yeah, I love the lil' Skopars (I've got a bunch). Can't beat 'em for the size and surprisingly nice quality (image, build, etc.).

Good for you, HiredArm! I'm of the same mind about "not feeding the frenzy" that's afoot. I'm in no rush and I'll wait for the dealer to come through. I too refuse to line somebody else's pockets needlessly.