The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Kodak sells ISS

kevin2i

Leica, Hasselblad and Pentax.
Really don't like the wording of the press release, or the sound of 'Platinum Equity'.

"Kodak has previously communicated that it would sell assets that are not central to its transformation to a profitable, sustainable digital company. This sale is aligned with that strategy to generate cash to complete the transformation."

And Kodak just announced a new sensor a few days ago too, but I guess sensors were really preventing them from becoming a digital company. :loco:

250swb

Yet written into the deal is that Kodak have access to sensors in the future. This is good news, it means the sensor division, which is much bigger than simply providing sensors to traditional camera makers, will continue even if Kodak completely collapse (which they won't). And with fresh investment rather than penny pinching it should go from strength to strength.

Steve

Quentin_Bargate

Best outcome all round. Platinum Equity would have no interest in wasting money on a business only to see it fail. But if things don't work out, Hasselblad already use Dalsa sensors in the H4D-60 - sensible diversification that no doubt could be extended further.

Zoffdino

Somehow I doubt that the sensor won't be the first to fail. Many Canon 1Ds released in 2001 are still going strong after 10 years. When it finally dies, you can kiss the camera good bye. The fact that the sensor company is still there is irrelevant: they can't make a run of an old design for 1 or 2 products.