The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Using Leica R lenses on the Sony NEX 5

Godfrey

Hi There Ray
Please to oblige - it looks odder than it feels! (I promise)

That's a hefty lens, but I see there is a version of the two-cam Elmarit-R 180/2.8 with a tripod mounting foot built in. Hmm. On the GXR-M, that's a 270/2.8 EFL, and on the E-1/E-5 it's a 360/2.8 EFL.

Sheesh, you're tempting me.

Chuck Jones

Subscriber Member
Jono, when you see what those R lenses do on the A77, it's going to take your breath away dude. Those are some of the best lenses ever made for 35mm mount, bar none. I sold my entire collection finally after several years of waiting for Leica to build a digital body that would use them, the now dead R10 project. Bought myself an M9 and more M glass instead, and haven't looked back yet.

In all honestly, now that I have the A77, wishing I still had all the R glass! I look forward to seeing how you get on with those mounted up to 24MP. Going to be quite impressive indeed!

doug

That's a hefty lens, but I see there is a version of the two-cam Elmarit-R 180/2.8 with a tripod mounting foot built in. Hmm. On the GXR-M, that's a 270/2.8 EFL, and on the E-1/E-5 it's a 360/2.8 EFL.

The 180mm f/2.8 APO is actually quite lightweight and manageable, and you can add a rotating tripod mount to it. The tripod mount of the early 180mm Elmarit-R doesn't rotate, and as far as I know a tripod ring can't be fitted to the late pre-APO 180mm Elmarit-R. An add-on tripod mount isn't optimum but IMHO it's better than nothing and also (IMHO) better than a non-rotating tripod mount.

jonoslack

Thanks Jono.

The images you have presented using this combo are wonderful. The ergonomics of this ' machine ' appears a bit uncomfortable to me.

Best regards.
The size and ergonomics of the NEX cameras has never appealed to me.....but I'm looking forward to hearing of your experience using the R lenses on the A77 (and seeing some images from same)! The A77 body style is more to my liking. In any case, the images you've posted here look terrific. :thumbup:

Gary
Hi There Ray and Gary
It works much better than it looks is all that I can say: the grip on the right hand side of the camera works pretty well with my (admittedly small) hands, while the lens nestles comfortably in my left hand, ready for focusing or zooming.

As for using R lenses on the A77 - with ROM lenses it's an expensive round trip to Spain to get the Leitax mounts fitted - I might go that way in the end, but at the moment I think I'll carry on using them in their natural state :). At least until the NEX 7 arrives.

all the best

jonoslack

The 180mm f/2.8 APO is actually quite lightweight and manageable, and you can add a rotating tripod mount to it. The tripod mount of the early 180mm Elmarit-R doesn't rotate, and as far as I know a tripod ring can't be fitted to the late pre-APO 180mm Elmarit-R. An add-on tripod mount isn't optimum but IMHO it's better than nothing and also (IMHO) better than a non-rotating tripod mount.
Doug has it - it's really not too big (it looks a bit bigger here because the adapter is large) it weighs less than a kilo, and the focusing is soooo smooth, that it all works pretty well.

Tripods are not for me I'm afraid, but these three all work okay hand held. Especially with the excellent low light capabilities of the NEX.

Doug - I would have thought this might be an interesting combination for you to try out - and not an expensive try-out either.

all the best

jonoslack

Jono, when you see what those R lenses do on the A77, it's going to take your breath away dude. Those are some of the best lenses ever made for 35mm mount, bar none. I sold my entire collection finally after several years of waiting for Leica to build a digital body that would use them, the now dead R10 project. Bought myself an M9 and more M glass instead, and haven't looked back yet.

In all honestly, now that I have the A77, wishing I still had all the R glass! I look forward to seeing how you get on with those mounted up to 24MP. Going to be quite impressive indeed!
Hi There Chuck
see my reply above - it's an expensive round trip to Spain for ROM lenses . . . and another expensive Round trip if you want them changed back again!

I'd love to use them on the A77, but for the time being I'm going to keep them in their natural state and use them on the NEX 5n . . . . and the NEX 7 if it ever comes my way!

all the best

thomasl.se

I like using Leica M-mount lenses on my Nex because even with the adapter, they're very compact. Going to R-mount lenses adds a fair amount of bulk to the package.
Indeed, but I for one am really pleased with the way the unit handles, supporting it with the left hand holding the lens, and the right hand effortlessly controlling the camera. It's still a light weight package unless of course it's a fast long tele. Just doesn't fit in a coat pocket, but I've never been much of a coat kind of guy.

doug

Doug - I would have thought this might be an interesting combination for you to try out - and not an expensive try-out either.
Let's just say that the temptation is much bigger than the bank account. It would seem to me - and your experience seems to confirm this - that focus peaking is a huge benefit.

Has anyone used the Novoflex R-to-NEX adapter? Novoflex offers a tripod collar to fit their adapters and I'm curious how this has worked out.

thomasl.se

Has anyone used the Novoflex R-to-NEX adapter? Novoflex offers a tripod collar to fit their adapters and I'm curious how this has worked out.
I'm using their R-NEX adapter, but wasn't aware of a collar. Totally pleased with the adapter, I will check that out.

Godfrey

Doug has it - it's really not too big (it looks a bit bigger here because the adapter is large) it weighs less than a kilo, and the focusing is soooo smooth, that it all works pretty well.

Tripods are not for me I'm afraid, but these three all work okay hand held. Especially with the excellent low light capabilities of the NEX.

Thanks. The Elmarit-R 180/2.8 APO model is much more expensive than I'm willing to pay for ...

I use a tripod a good bit of the time. A casual search a couple of 2-cam 180/2.8s with the fixed tripod mount for prices in the $400-500 range. I might just give one a try, the lack of a rotating collar isn't a big deal to me. And on the E-5 body, the IBIS makes hand-holding more capable with such a long focal length.

I'll likely just let a moment's infatuation with this lens fade away. I have the superb Micro-Nikkor 200mm f/4 already. ;-)

jonoslack

Thanks. The Elmarit-R 180/2.8 APO model is much more expensive than I'm willing to pay for ...
HI Godfrey - I was advised that this was a much better lens - of course, without trying the others I don't know! I paid £900 for mine - not out of order I think, it certainly feels like an expensive piece of kit!

I use a tripod a good bit of the time. A casual search a couple of 2-cam 180/2.8s with the fixed tripod mount for prices in the $400-500 range.

I might just give one a try, the lack of a rotating collar isn't a big deal to me. And on the E-5 body, the IBIS makes hand-holding more capable with such a long focal length.

I'll likely just let a moment's infatuation with this lens fade away. I have the superb Micro-Nikkor 200mm f/4 already. ;-)
Certainly that's the cheapest option!
I wanted just to try and see, and it occurred to me that I was unlikely to lose money on these as long as I bought them reasonably sensibly.

all the best

Godfrey

HI Godfrey - I was advised that this was a much better lens - of course, without trying the others I don't know! I paid £900 for mine - not out of order I think, it certainly feels like an expensive piece of kit!
Seems you found a very good deal. Most of the prices I see on the Elmarit-R 180/2.8 APO are quite a bit higher than that ... $2000-$3000. Even £900 ($1400 US) is a lot of money for a lens I will use so infrequently, but $2000+ is out of the question.

I'd rather put that amount of money towards an M9 body!

jonoslack

Seems you found a very good deal. Most of the prices I see on the Elmarit-R 180/2.8 APO are quite a bit higher than that ... $2000-$3000. Even £900 ($1400 US) is a lot of money for a lens I will use so infrequently, but $2000+ is out of the question.

I'd rather put that amount of money towards an M9 body!
I quite understand - I have a slush fund for this kind of stuff, lenses are usually okay as long as you get a reasonable deal like this one - cameras less so :shocked:

I've been doing a lot of clearing out recently though; all Olympus / Pentax / Panasonic / small sensor / - not that there was anything wrong with it, all good kit, just a case of preferences and usage.

all the best

fotografz

Hi There Chuck
see my reply above - it's an expensive round trip to Spain for ROM lenses . . . and another expensive Round trip if you want them changed back again!

I'd love to use them on the A77, but for the time being I'm going to keep them in their natural state and use them on the NEX 5n . . . . and the NEX 7 if it ever comes my way!

all the best
Or if something like this ever came to into being ... as in never :(

Marc

jonoslack

Marc
Well - to be honest Marc I'm not personally so fussed - If I'm going to use manual focus lenses . . . . (I know this is terrible sacrilege) . . . I'm beginning to realise I'd rather use them on a good EVF than an Optical SLR viewfinder with a mirror. Added to which I still think that Leica made the right decision in realising that they couldn't easily compete with the Nikons and Canons of this world.

What I really would like is a full frame solution from Leica which would use the R lenses - this year, next year, sometime . . . . .Here's hoping - in the meantime I can enjoy these lenses on NEX, and if it really starts looking like never, then I can have a Leitax mount put on and enjoy them on a Sony FF SLT (where they would be very good IMHO).

woodyspedden

Well - to be honest Marc I'm not personally so fussed - If I'm going to use manual focus lenses . . . . (I know this is terrible sacrilege) . . . I'm beginning to realise I'd rather use them on a good EVF than an Optical SLR viewfinder with a mirror. Added to which I still think that Leica made the right decision in realising that they couldn't easily compete with the Nikons and Canons of this world.

What I really would like is a full frame solution from Leica which would use the R lenses - this year, next year, sometime . . . . .Here's hoping - in the meantime I can enjoy these lenses on NEX, and if it really starts looking like never, then I can have a Leitax mount put on and enjoy them on a Sony FF SLT (where they would be very good IMHO).
Jono

David Farkas and Josh Lehrer at Dale Photo Labs did an experiment with the R 400mm APO Telyt lens on the S2. I believe the article was at their Leica forum, www.reddotforum.com. I am suggesting this to you because it may tell you (all of us) about adapting R lenses to the S2 mount. At least with the 400mm lens, the image circle was large enough for the 37mm sensor.

Just for info only

Woody

jonoslack

I believe the drool will never come out of my keyboard.
I can imagine - what a setup.

Woody - thanks for the link .. . I guess it'll only really work for the telephotos . . .but maybe the 180 would work too?

One Day my S2 will come (or not, as the case may be :cry:)

bensonga

Marc
The number one reason I would like a full frame digital R camera from Leica (whether optical DSLR or mirrorless body with EVF) is to have a native R-mount body, so I can switch from using my R lenses on either my R8 or a digital R body as easily as I can do that with my Canon and Nikon film and digital bodies. No messing with adapters etc. I don't want to convert my Leica R lenses with Leitax to Nikon or Sony, because I'm not willing to give up on my R8.

Gary