The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

M lens rumors

M

Mango

Perhaps the new fast 21 (fov 28) and 24 (fov 32) satisfy the high ISO crowd. There is now sufficient fast glass for most usage, so any comparisons with Nikon high ISO performance won't need to be made, provided these lenses deliver.

There's also no need to create a high ISO M9. Having fast glass is a cheaper alternative (though expensive for most punters).

woodyspedden

Perhaps the new fast 21 (fov 28) and 24 (fov 32) satisfy the high ISO crowd. There is now sufficient fast glass for most usage, so any comparisons with Nikon high ISO performance won't need to be made, provided these lenses deliver.

There's also no need to create a high ISO M9. Having fast glass is a cheaper alternative (though expensive for most punters).
Mango

While i think that Leica continues to do state of the art optics, particularly in the area of fast glass, Nikon builds bodies that have useful ISO's up to 6400 and will go even higher in a pinch. And considering that the new Leica lenses (if the rumors are true) will cost in the neighborhood of 5000 Euros each while the Nikon bodies are priced at $2995 for the D700 and $4500 for the D3 I could hardly call the Leica approach a "cheaper solution."

I would love to own the 28 Lux but at this price I just could not justify it.

Woody

dfarkas

Workshop Member
Not confirming or denying here, just commenting.... ;)

See how rumors work? First there was that 28 lux rumor, then a 24 cron. Nobody even figured on a 21 or 24 lux. Assuming these leaks are the real deal, of course.... ;)

Let's just wait and see what Monday (Sept. 15) brings regarding US pricing.

David

M

Mango

"... I could hardly call the Leica approach a "cheaper solution." ..." Woody
Woody, you're absolutely right. By cheaper I meant cheaper in the Leica world, which is like saying a cheaper Bentley. It's all relative, but it's way out of my budget!

robsteve

Subscriber
While i think that Leica continues to do state of the art optics, particularly in the area of fast glass, Nikon builds bodies that have useful ISO's up to 6400 and will go even higher in a pinch.

Woody
You would probably have to shoot a Nikon 24mm at f4 or smaller to approach the quality of the Leica at f1.4. That is about three stops. Is the Leica 640 iso that much worse than the Nikon 3200?

Robert

M

matmcdermott

The buzz over at LUF regarding those prices is that Chasseurs d'Images swapped a Euro sign for a dollar sign. So Noctilux will be $8000. Can't verify it beyond what's in the original thread linked at the top, but it would bring the prices into normal Leica range=pricey, but par for the course pricey and not Leica has fracking lost their corporate mind pricey.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I am waiting on news. Maybe nothing I can formally say on the forums but certainly like to see the direction here.

woodyspedden

You would probably have to shoot a Nikon 24mm at f4 or smaller to approach the quality of the Leica at f1.4. That is about three stops. Is the Leica 640 iso that much worse than the Nikon 3200?

Robert
Hey Robert

I would be talking about using the 14-24 or 24-70 zooms depending on the FL I need. Since they are fixed aperture f2.8 lenses you have tremendous latitude with the new Nikon bodies and their impressive high ISO performance.

I love the Leica look and don't mean to disparage any new high speed lenses they bring out. I only was commenting that this is very expensive to get low light shots compared to the Nikons with their wonderful High ISO opportunities.

I hope that everyone buys a new Leica high speed lens so that Leica remains viable. I am a lifelong fan and will continue to support their system(s). But at $ close to 6K per lens I won't be buying. I am out of money, even if my lust for the great Leica gear remains.

Best

Woody

PeterA

I hope this glss comes out. Makes it easier to sell teh remaining M glass I have kept - when I do.:ROTFL::ROTFL:

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Thanks Pascal , sort of what we talked about in the other thread and something David Farkas and I talked about way back in June 07 with Stefan Daniels. Glad to see some of it come to life.

ecliffordsmith

Hi All,

I must admit that the lens I would possibly be in the market for is an 18mm to make a 24 field of view on the M8. Who nows, this list may not yet be complete though.

I would be curious to see how big these lenses actually are. I suspect you would get a fair amount of viewfinder area blocked with the 24 lux.

It is great to see these being released though. I wonder if focus shift that has dogged other Summilux models has been addressed in these new ultra fast models.

gero

Robert
Robert, It is starting to happen to me the same thing as when they talk about trilions (of people,money) I get confused. Is .95 a half stop faster than f1? It sounds as if it is the same for practical reasons.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Gero, you use the inverse square law to calculate apertures, so f1.0 / 1.41 will give you the next smaller aperture. In this case, f0.71 is the next full aperture below f1 and f0.8 and f0.9 would be the 1/3 stops. Thus f0.95 is about 1/6th of a stop faster than f1.0. I suspect this slight gain in aperture was due to a minor re-design of the internal elements.