The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New Nocti rumor...

etrigan63

Leicarumors has it on good authority that a new 50mm Noctilux f0.95 will be unveiled at Photokina for a mere 8000 Eu! Ouch!

(This appears to be mounted on the also rumored Leica M8.2. No red dot I see.)

Also on tap: Summilux 21mm f1.4 and Summarit(?) 24mm f3.8. 5000 Eu for the Summilux (ouch). I expect the Summarit(?) to be in the sub-2000 Eu range.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Pretty funny we talked about wide 1.4 lenses back in June of 07 in a bar in Germany. I guess they listened. We should wait for final word though

Stuart Richardson

Wow, this looks reasonably legit to me. Particularly the 21/1.4 -- that's exactly the kind of weird, amazing thing that Leica could make -- they have all the lens experience in the world, and it really makes sense for the M8 -- a 28mm f/1.4 equivalent, solving the criticism of not having a fast wide anymore. A 24mm f/3.8 is a bit of an odd bird though...

A 50/.95...only an E60 mount...that's pretty good. Like a 75/1.4. I bet it weighs a ton though...it looks like it is all glass.

simonclivehughes

Good Lord, €8000! I doubt they'll be flying off the shelves. Leica seems to be getting farther and farther away from reality WRT mass marketing their products.

dfarkas

Workshop Member
Pretty funny we talked about wide 1.4 lenses back in June of 07 in a bar in Germany. I guess they listened. We should wait for final word though
Guy, remember Stefan saying, "You'd be amazed at what Peter can do with glass..." when we were talking about the daunting task of making a really fast wide? We also discussed a "budget" wide angle lens, if my memory serves me. Hmm...

For those who don't know, Peter Karbe is the head optics designer at Leica.

David

dfarkas

Workshop Member
Oh, and the 0.95 Noct rumor was pretty much confirmed by Dr. Kaufmann back in Oct. 2007 at the LHSA Annual Meeting in Rochester. No big surprise there.

He even gave the f-stop rating (in his own cryptic way).

I'm curious what insights Stefan Daniel will give in his presentation at this year's LHSA meeting in Louisville next month.

David

Stuart Richardson

8000 euro is still less than the humidor version of the original Noctilux they were selling. We'll see how much it costs in the U.S...Anyway, the new noctilux will be just like the old noctilux -- impractical, expensive and sold in very low volumes. That said, given that it is a new asph version, I expect that it will be a surprisingly good performer. Compared to the old nocti, it will probably have less vignetting, curvature of field and higher sharpness. Will it have the look though?

Guy Mancuso

Guy, remember Stefan saying, "You'd be amazed at what Peter can do with glass..." when we were talking about the daunting task of making a really fast wide? We also discussed a "budget" wide angle lens, if my memory serves me. Hmm...

For those who don't know, Peter Karbe is the head optics designer at Leica.

David
I guess we can tell that story now David. David and i along with Stefan Daniels went out for dinner our last night in Germany and we talked about a lot of things this being one of them and the Summarits another. Couple more things we talked about but maybe that surprise is yet to come. Funny though these two items seem to becoming a reality. That was only with 3 beers each . Imagine if we drank more. LOL

Stefan is the product manager for the M line. Just in case some did not realize that, he pulls the strings as they say.

Guy Mancuso

8000 euro is still less than the humidor version of the original Noctilux they were selling. We'll see how much it costs in the U.S...Anyway, the new noctilux will be just like the old noctilux -- impractical, expensive and sold in very low volumes. That said, given that it is a new asph version, I expect that it will be a surprisingly good performer. Compared to the old nocti, it will probably have less vignetting, curvature of field and higher sharpness. Will it have the look though?

Interesting how these things are viewed ( not you Stuart but in general) and for Leica it is viewed completely different . It sometimes is not that they will sell but leica can make them. A lot about bragging rights and the 35-70 2.8 was one of those bragging rights lenses. they actually lost money making them. The Nocti is no different , it is all about pride and the fact they can make it.

dfarkas

Workshop Member
That was a great meeting, but the handkase that he made me eat was just terrible, even after a few beers! :ROTFL: House-made cheese made from whey, mixed with onions and vinegar. Looks like snot, smells like feet. Tastes even worse. This was honestly the only bad food I had our whole time in Germany. :thumbdown:

David

cam

That was a great meeting, but the handkase that he made me eat was just terrible, even after a few beers! :ROTFL: House-made cheese made from whey, mixed with onions and vinegar. Looks like snot, smells like feet. Tastes even worse. This was honestly the only bad food I had our whole time in Germany. :thumbdown:
i am so glad i haven't eaten yet...

does anyone know if this version will also focus closer?

(and here's to hoping people will want to dump the really slow f/1 for a reasonable price :D )

Stuart Richardson

It says 1m in the French part of the text there. Which makes sense, frankly...no one can focus a .95 wide open inside 1m with a rangefinder unless they made one with a heck of a lot more baselength and perfect calibration.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
While I always like faster glass, I am having a problem swallowing the prices on these, and the 21 Lux looks pretty dang big... But if the 24 Lux is not too large, then it may find its way into my bag :D

Stuart Richardson

We all have our limits...I stop paying attention when lenses cost over 5000 dollars, because I know that even used, they will never become remotely affordable. Usually the best you can hope for is 50% of new retail (unless it is really an old lens or there are a ton out there), and I am sure that it would take years for the new nocti to get to 50% of retail (if it ever does), and even then it would still be 4000 euros! For 1 stop faster than 50/1.4 lenses which are inexpensive (well, at least in most systems) and easily available.

Anyway, as Guy said, this is more to show they can do it than for people to buy. The 21/1.4 is much more interesting to me. In fact, had they made a 35mm f/1.0, that would have been even MORE interesting than the 50/.95.

Jack -- 24 summilux? I thought the 24mm was a 3.8...which is what? Something between Elmar and Elmarit? An El Mariachi?

Guy Mancuso

I agree the prices are going to kill people even at 5K US that is going to really hurt the pocket. I am hoping these prices are wrong or list or something besides what is reported

Guy Mancuso

David
I can still taste it . YUK

M

Mango

David

An interesting aside. I was listening to NPR while odriving to work this morning. They had a perception psycholigist on the show, who does experiments with how people's preconceived notions influence their subsequent opinions about things. (Especially true of wine connoiseurs, who are influenced by the price of the bottle, even though the contents might be plonk.)

One example he gave was that the fragrance of Parmesan cheese, and of vomit, comes from the same component, Butyric Acid. But since we associate Parmesan with good taste, we don't think of vomit when we smell it. I now have a better appreciation of vomit.

I had to look it up:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Butyric_acid

Quote: "... It is found in rancid butter, parmesan cheese, vomit, and body odor and has an unpleasant smell and acrid taste, with a sweetish aftertaste (similar to ether). ..."

The things one learns on the GetDPI forum.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
BTW found that the prices mentioned were in US$, so € is cheaper,

makeing the Nocti something like €5400.-

which is not so bad :D