The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

M9 small but good flash for travel

I'm looking for a small but good flash for travel ?
for M9 with 28 , 50 or 90 mm

LEICA SF 24D or Metz mecablitz 36C-2 or another one ?

thank you

mathomas

I've been happy with my SF24D the very few times I've used it. No bounce, but I put a bit of tissue behind the flash lens to diffuse a bit (probably not effective). goes nicely with the M8 size-wise.

Godfrey

I'm looking for a small but good flash for travel ?
for M9 with 28 , 50 or 90 mm

LEICA SF 24D or Metz mecablitz 36C-2 or another one ?

thank you
I dislike flash-on-camera for most things, so nowadays when I carry a flash I carry a small unit (like the Nikon SB-30) and a cheap RF trigger (Cactus V2 or V5). Sender on the camera, flash on the receiver pointing to something that will bounce it. All manual but heck, with a digital camera just pop a couple of test exposures to get the settings right then carry on.

Works with my M4-2, GXR-M, Oly DSLRs, etc etc. (With the M4-2, I take an exposure reading with a flash meter of course.)

Jan Brittenson

Senior Subscriber Member
Find a Vivitar 252 on eBay. And a Wien Safe Sync or equivalen, though some say the M8/M9 is fine without even for high voltages. http://www.mattdentonphoto.com/cameras/vivitar_auto252.html

Personally I like the SF24D - except it needs an ND cover since it can't go low enough power. I stick a couple of sheets of white paper along with a cut piece of CC gel filter between the WA diffuser and the head. Otherwise, it's impossible to use for fill in incandescent or low/street light. (Same goes for the Vivitar probably.)

On Nikon, the SB-400 but it only works with i-TTL Nikons. This is the smallest flash I've seen that will bounce. And it can dial itself way back. It's brilliant.

weinschela

Subscriber Member
The SF24 is good for what it is, but the lack of bounce is a real limitation. The other flashes are much bigger. The workaround is a Nikon cord that allows you to take the SF24 off camera. If you google this you will find the right Nikon part number. When I get back to my gear I will look if you can wait.

Double Negative

Not Available
I picked up a 24D "for rainy days" but as luck would have it, I never use it. I tend to prefer faster lenses... Maybe I'm just lazy. :p