The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

6 Bit your old lens (DIY)

d.clin.design

I had some time over the US Thanksgiving break to write up a quick DIY tutorial for modification that I'm sure a lot of you been wanting to do!!

It's actually a fairly simple process and totally reversible if needed. Not to mention, pretty economical!

All you need is a screw driver, some nail polish, some common things around the house, and an ebay account. I'm not affiliated with the ebay seller. You should be able to find the bracket from other places as well. This is the one I ordered and it works!

I have more detail on my blog.

http://dclindesign.wordpress.com/2011/11/23/6-bit-your-old-lens/

just4fun

Thanks for the tips, really appreciate it!
I have a question, by removing all the screws, is there a chance I will ruin the lens beside the sticky focusing? I have been taken some parts from other things before and in many case, they are falling a parts, that haunts me :)

d.clin.design

Once you taken the screws and bracket off, it's just a flat surface. If you move the focus ring, you will see the holes goes from lining up to not lining up so it's important to not to move the focus ring once you undo the screws. Other than potentially stripping the screws, I don't really see anything else you could potentially break. So double make sure you count the turns and don't over tighten!
I only done this with my 24mm Elmarit. I'm not sure if it's the same across all the different Leica lenses.
Good luck!! Feel free to ping me if you have any questions!