The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Overview of the M System

Double Negative

Not Available
Just posted up an Overview of the M System article.

A history of the Leica M system, from the M3 to the latest M9-P with a picture of each and some notes.

We'll continue to add to this of course, but I think it's off to a good start. Basically compiling information from all over the web and several books, etc.

Godfrey

Looks good! Nice to see photos of all the M bodies together along with their dates, etc.

I have a first production run M4-2, before they changed the viewfinder optics from the M4 layout. It has become my favorite M, like it even more than the M4-Ps which were my previous fav. I'm itchy for an M9 now and trying to be patient ... Next year sometime for sure.

Double Negative

Not Available
Thanks! :)

Yeah, I wanted to keep it in a sort of "overview" format and keep the info dense and compact. Start with something you can look at and say, "which M is for me?" and go about comparing them. I'm thinking of individual articles on the various bodies or maybe another overview of special editions, etc. We'll see how it goes!

The problem is, a lot of this information is scattered all over the place. Mostly either very sparse or very lengthy, almost all of it hard to read.

Hausen

Well done. That is a really nice page with excellent photos. Should be a great resource for people who want to get an M body.

Double Negative

Not Available
Well done. That is a really nice page with excellent photos. Should be a great resource for people who want to get an M body.
Awesome! Really glad you like it, Hausen. :)

I was actually toying with the notion of a flowchart, may be more so as a gag... "Do you want a meter? Yes - No..."

ceh

Great job :thumbup:
..I did not know,that model M3 had been launched before model M2.
:)

Double Negative

Not Available
Because jaapv made me... :D I've added the M1 as a listed camera (with picture).

I also updated info on early M3/M2 bodies.

Enjoy. :)

Double Negative

Not Available
Thanks a lot, nowherean and HiredArm! Very much appreciated, and I'm sorry I didn't respond sooner as I just saw your posts.

...Updated today to include a section on replacement batteries. Currently covers the M6, M6 TTL, M7 and MP. Digital bodies will be covered shortly.

Enjoy! :)

Double Negative

Not Available
Good work! Just wish the family tree picture is in a bit higher resolution to show more details.
Thanks, Phil! Yeah, you and me both. That was the best I could find. Though if you click on the image you get a larger one that's correctly oriented... Not sure if you noticed that.

I'll keep an eye out for a better version and will update when I do.