The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

M9 and lenses guilt!

Peter Klein

Brian gets a pass because every 50 he touches ends up better than it was when he bought it! :)

But seriously, some people view Leica as nothing more than bling neck jewelry for the rich. Others believe that only the latest technology deserves to exist. Calling Leica owners "wankers" makes such people feel better about themselves.

I use Leica simply because it's the best tool for me, and in general the pictures I take with it are better in ways I consider important. I don't have to justify my choice to anyone. Neither do you.

I use a DSLR and a micro 4/3 camera, too. I choose the best tool for the job at hand, with considerations for my ability to carry stuff, the image quality I'll get, and yes, the cost. I usually buy used--you can do a lot with last year's model.

--Peter

Double Negative

Not Available
Sometimes you can't put a price on the retreat that photography offers. It's nice to get out, by yourself and without distractions and just get into the zone for a while.

Your gear doesn't need to be expensive. Heck, get a Holga. As long as you're taking pictures and you're in your happy place - mission accomplished.

jonoslack

Well . . all the things I've thought of saying have been said by someone else.
If you enjoy your M9 and you like shooting with it, then don't feel guilty about it - it's cheaper than lovers or sailboats!
I'm afraid I have too many cameras, but going back to my M9 is always an Aaaaaaah moment - and going through my photos from this year, it's the M9 ones which give me most satisfaction.

If you like it enjoy it (and forget the guilt).

all the best

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
When I go back through my pictures, the M9 ones can make me feel guilty. One Internet to whoever can identify this picture. You may find embarrassment prevents you from admitting it, though.:ROTFL:

Matt

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Well . . all the things I've thought of saying have been said by someone else.
If you enjoy your M9 and you like shooting with it, then don't feel guilty about it - it's cheaper than lovers or sailboats!
I'm afraid I have too many cameras, but going back to my M9 is always an Aaaaaaah moment - and going through my photos from this year, it's the M9 ones which give me most satisfaction.

If you like it enjoy it (and forget the guilt).

all the best
Well said.
in the end you will not want to be lying on your deathbed thinking "If I only had kept my M9". (or IQ180, or whatever you enjoy most)
-bob

PeterA

During my training I had a chief who had been raised in Japan...came to the US and ended up the head of an Anesthesia Department at a major university medical center in the Midwest. He always hosted a conversation and dinner for students that centered on finding a passion in life that allowed you to weather the stress of your profession. He and his wife were concert level pianists and art collectors...she a respected painter. His point was that one all too often spends a large amount of time without focus away from work and life is too short not to accomplish something in addition to your profession...that effort should be one that renews you and allows you to stay alert oriented and clear.

Many of us here are probably on this path knowingly or not. At times it can be expensive but money is not the key to knowledge nor competence.

Sorry for the run-on...just some thoughts.

Bob
This philosophy reflects my personal belief and practise - and deserves careful consideration. In paticular I beleive that it is important to be able to point ot some success in the hobby ( whatever it be and whatever that means) - whatever is needed in order to pursue this serious commitment is fine.

Pete

jonoslack

This philosophy reflects my personal belief and practise - and deserves careful consideration. In paticular I beleive that it is important to be able to point ot some success in the hobby ( whatever it be and whatever that means) - whatever is needed in order to pursue this serious commitment is fine.

Pete
Thank you Pete . . I'm not terribly good at the whole concept of photography as a 'hobby'. I'm not professional . so I guess my photography must be a hobby (the odd paid gig is neither here nor there).

. . . . but despite my flippancy here I take it really seriously - it sure isn't a form of relaxation - it's another direction for creativity, and I put plenty of effort into it. Hobby seems just too demeaning! I try and apply just as stringent controls as I do with my 'real' work. . . as you say, a serious commitment - not so much in money, but certainly in time and effort.

all the best

Brian S

When I go back through my pictures, the M9 ones can make me feel guilty. One Internet to whoever can identify this picture. You may find embarrassment prevents you from admitting it, though.:ROTFL:

Matt
I've heard that you can collapse a Summicron on a Leica M8 and M9, but the manual advises against it.

Maybe because the author of the manual discovered it does not focus properly when collapsed....

MGrayson

Nothing that fancy! It's a 28 Cron lens hood from the inside with the front cap still on. The bright blob is the light coming in through the viewfinder cutout on the hood. (Sorry, I do go on about that lens, but it is the most recent purchase, and thus gets me out of the house and shooting, which is the point, really..)

D'oh!

Matt

docmoore

. . I'm not terribly good at the whole concept of photography as a 'hobby'.

all the best
Jono,

the original was: "centered on finding a passion in life"

I am sure that Pete was responding to that ideal...hobby as defined these days does relegate the pursuit to a rather mean endeavor. Not at all what we all strive to attain.

I am sure that you both are more in agreement than not. I know that I am.

Bob

docmoore

the inside with the front cap still on.

D'oh!

Matt
Matt,

I prefer to refer to these as a dark calibration frame...nice to fall back on the astrophotographers when one does this...and I have many times.

Not to mention the time I bought a new M6... drove three hours into Yosemite only to find that the boxed batteries were so old they died within 5 minutes...thank heavens that Kodak had the sunny 16 rule on the film cannister insert.

Nice capture ... never would have guessed. Mine are usually fairly close to 0,0,0

Bob

MGrayson

Matt,
Mine are usually fairly close to 0,0,0
Bob
It just adds to my embarrassment. I was using Auto Exposure :eek:, and there was enough light leaking in that it wasn't THAT long an exposure. Good thing I chimp a lot!

Matt

PeterA

Thank you Pete . . I'm not terribly good at the whole concept of photography as a 'hobby'. I'm not professional . so I guess my photography must be a hobby (the odd paid gig is neither here nor there).

. . . . but despite my flippancy here I take it really seriously - it sure isn't a form of relaxation - it's another direction for creativity, and I put plenty of effort into it. Hobby seems just too demeaning! I try and apply just as stringent controls as I do with my 'real' work. . . as you say, a serious commitment - not so much in money, but certainly in time and effort.

all the best
Well I don't disagree with anything you say Jono - as Bob indicates I think we are in fact saying the same thing. I am (mostly) too phlegmatic a character to use a word like passion to describe my passion -:)

Pete

dude163

Work makes my life possible not vice versa

If you enjoy the M9, then why feel guilty? I know guys at work who spend 600 dollars for ONE golf club! then you have to add in club memberships, green fees etc. Or people who buy motorcycles for their hobby, Ive been out of bikes for a while now, but Harleys and Ducatis are in the 20,000 range easily

Have fun, life is short