The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Amateur question about leica lens

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Not sure why some folks took offense here to folks opinions but my choice has been not to use them. I think there certainly valid reasons either way myself. I have always been in the camp of taking the risk and not use them since optically there is no benefit too using them so why bother but of course they do offer protection to maybe save a lens element but since they don't provide a optical advantage than I chose not to use them. It's actually a pretty simple decision if you want protection use them if you are willing to take the risk than don't. But bottom line optically there is not a advantage to use them. And yes they do cause some issues but my choice is always go with the optical advantage be it perceived or real.

Brian S

Having the front element of a collapsible Summicron polished and recoated ran $200. The coating damage was severe enough to render the lens unusable. Looks great now. Another Summicron of the same age used with a filter for its 50 year life, perfect.

I've replaced front elements of lenses myself. Doing it for a Leica lens is a little more difficult than for a Jupiter-3. I had to machine out the fixture of a Type I Rigid Summicron to fit in the new front element. They were fit and finish, all almost individually made. I had to try three different front elements to get a good match. The individual optics are matched to the fixture. Same with the early Sonnars: the serial number of each of the three groups is machined into the brass fixtures for each.

thrice

Sorry, I assumed from the title that the original poster was referring to current production Leica lenses. Sure if you have a sub $1000 used Leica lens then protecting and the potential repair costs are less of an issue. Be aware, however, that Leica will not repair much older lenses and I assume you had your collapsible cron recoated by focal point or a similar third party Brian?

cam

Sorry, I assumed from the title that the original poster was referring to current production Leica lenses. Sure if you have a sub $1000 used Leica lens then protecting and the potential repair costs are less of an issue. Be aware, however, that Leica will not repair much older lenses and I assume you had your collapsible cron recoated by focal point or a similar third party Brian?
where did you get this info from?

Leica just repaired a version one (1960's), 8-element 35mm Cron for me which had a loose front element. they never said anything about the lens being "too old."

thrice

Sorry, I meant to type "will not replace elements in much older lenses" since that is the absolute topic of the discussion I guess I thought my meaning was assumed, but thanks for picking up on it so that I could clarify.

Brian S

Sure if you have a sub $1000 used Leica lens then protecting and the potential repair costs are less of an issue. Be aware, however, that Leica will not repair much older lenses and I assume you had your collapsible cron recoated by focal point or a similar third party Brian?
Focalpoint is THE best service for this... and the work they did on my early "Hot Glass" Collapsible Summicron was amazing. Looked like wax paper going in, came back like new. Amazing.

The OP has an older Elmarit. The earlier Leica lenses have a much softer coating than new ones. If this lens was used with a filter, even one made by "Soligor", it explains why the lens looks good and not like wax paper.

Finding replacement front elements for 50 year old lenses is not easy. I traded "repair work" for parts lenses to get enough parts to repair a Rigid Summicron and a Collapsible Summicron. The 1950s Leica lenses are "fit and finish", almost every one is individual.

New stuff is easily replaced. It's new, and it just takes money. Just buy another one. Fortunately for users of vintage equipment, we have Focalpoint. A one of a kind resource for older lenses.

Last edited: