The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

"Leica Compendium - Company, Cameras, Lenses" by Erwin Puts

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member

At The Online Photographer I became aware of the new edition of "Leica Compendium - Company, Cameras, Lenses" by Erwin Puts.

http://theonlinephotographer.typepa...11/11/the-leica-compendium-by-erwin-puts.html

Some days ago I ordered the compendium and I have now received it.
I must say it's a very compelling volume.
There may still be some samples of this Third Edition left somewhere, I found and ordered mine online at Lindemanns Buchhandlung in Germany.

click for natural size

in some browsers the F11 key maximizes and again minimizes <-> the web browser window

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member

Here are some pictures of sample pages from the book, just to give you a closer impression.

Respecting the copyright I have asked Erwin Puts permission before posting these pictures.

From the below index illustrations you can have an overview of the content.

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member

610 pages, english, 30 x 21 cm, and I payed 78 EUR plus shipping 3.50 EUR

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member

The complete history of Leica as a company.

Plus sections on optical aberrations, how lenses are designed, manufactured and tested.

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member

Very big, very heavy and very nice

my best Christmas present so far

Nikon D300 • AF-S Nikkor 1.4/50mm G •.at f/5.6 ISO 200 • Capture NX

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member

You are welcome, ceh.
Like I said in my post # 6 there are specific sections on the Leica M and Leica R cameras and lenses.
The S system isn't yet covered in the same systematic way, but I believe it will be at some point in the future.
I have noticed and enjoyed your great results with you S2 rig, excellent work :thumbup:

V

Vivek

Over the years, I have come across Puts' compendium books in used book stores, often, in "mint" condition. Really beautiful things.

I did not know, until now, how few of these were ever printed!

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member

Vivek, has the compendium always been so much more than 'just' am M and R series camera and lens list with fact sheets ?

I need to admit that I have actually never seen the book for real before, and I have always thought of it as probably just a sort of a very long list with a lot of fact sheets.
So wrong. At least now, in the present edition, there are so many other chapters of general interest.

I myself do not own anything Leica anymore (apart from a Televid 77 Spotting Scope but that doesn't really count as a photographic tool).

So for me it's primarily an interest in the company and brand history, the rather unusual business case, and the chapters about optical aberrations, lens design, manufacturing, tests, etc.

Knorp

Third Edition ? Strange, I've got a "Limited Edition", what's the difference I wonder ?
Anyhow, the book is full of interesting facts, love it !

Kind regards.

V

Vivek

Vivek, has the compendium always been so much more than 'just' am M and R series camera and lens list with fact sheets ?

I need to admit that I have actually never seen the book for real before, and I have always thought of it as probably just a sort of a very long list with a lot of fact sheets.
So wrong. At least now, in the present edition, there are so many other chapters of general interest.

I myself do not own anything Leica anymore (apart from a Televid 77 Spotting Scope but that doesn't really count as a photographic tool).

So for me it's primarily an interest in the company and brand history, the rather unusual business case, and the chapters about optical aberrations, lens design, manufacturing, tests, etc.
Hi Steen, Mostly it is- facts and figures. Organization of these are done so beautifully and succinctly taking it to another dimension, IMO. Full credit to the author.

Apart from being a tech geek, I am also a student of history. :D

Though I had never met the man, I am sure Puts could tell a whole lot more. Perhaps we should band together and nudge him in that direction? :)

Last edited:
R

rosewood1969

I have the limited edition too. I understand that limited edition is the initial print run.subsequently, it had a rerun and a 3rd run.
I am not sure if there are typos and other 'errors' in the 2nd and 3rd run though.
But I am not complaining. Limited run costing a bomb as some buyers bought a few copies extra to sell.

jonoslack

It seems to be sold out already. I was going to bite the bullet and pay an eBay price. Then I read an article by Erwin about the future of Leica and it just froze my brain.
It seemed at the same time to be exhaustive and exhausting. I'm really impressed by the erudition and the amount of work, but. But. But
Maybe I'm just too frivolous a flibbetygibbet to really appreciate Erwin!

Paratom

It seems to be sold out already. I was going to bite the bullet and pay an eBay price. Then I read an article by Erwin about the future of Leica and it just froze my brain.
It seemed at the same time to be exhaustive and exhausting. I'm really impressed by the erudition and the amount of work, but. But. But
Maybe I'm just too frivolous a flibbetygibbet to really appreciate Erwin!
I was planning to get the book as well-if I find a copy. But I totally agree that some of Erwings articles over the last 3 years made be doubt about the real relevance of his articles. It all reads like it is proven with technical facts, but a lot of his comments and comparisons on various digital cameras just do not describe what I can see in reality.
Still an interesting very read, but I am not believing everything he writes anymore. Its a very theoretic approach.

V

Vivek

I have a different take on this, Jono and Tom.

A while back, when Puts was branded as the brand ambassador and revered by a bunch, I did not buy that.

When I read a book, I just look at the message and nothing else.

Even with some of the latest thoughts and writings of Puts (I have not seen all of it), factoring in the current reality, it does not take anything away from his achievements and the products.

Double Negative

Not Available
The First Edition came out earlier this year. It was rife with errors and not totally up-to-date (e.g. no M9-P). A Second Edition came out in August, with a lot of updates and fixes. The "third edition" AFAIK is just another printing of the Second Edition... Since Irwin has about 1,000 printed at a time. Thus the "limited edition."

Knorp

The First Edition came out earlier this year. It was rife with errors and not totally up-to-date (e.g. no M9-P). A Second Edition came out in August, with a lot of updates and fixes. The "third edition" AFAIK is just another printing of the Second Edition... Since Irwin has about 1,000 printed at a time. Thus the "limited edition."
I see, indeed no M9-P in my edition.
Thank you, DN.

Kind regards.