The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Canon FD 55mm 1.2 Aspherical M adapter

jamriman

Seasons Greetings,
Having read Putts review about this lens, on a whim I bought one. I know there are adapters out there for the FD to M mount to use on my M9. I didn't realize however that I would have to scale focus! Doesnt make sense to use scale focus with a normal lens. Is there any way to use this lens focus coupled on a another digital camera with a different adapter? I've always wanted a Canon A-1 since it was my first SLR. Perhaps film is my only hope of using this lens. Yikes! Thanks for looking!!

jamriman

Any mirrorless camera should be fine with an adapter; m4/3, NEX, Samsung etc.
Many thanks! Will the lens maintain its 55mm focal length with those adapters? Am I correct that there is no focus coupling with any of these FD to M adapters? There are a few different types on ebay. I don't quite understand how one can use a lens without focus coupling. I guess I am spoiled!

DaveS

The apparent focal length changes with the crop factor of the sensor. I have this exact lens on a M4/3 so it becomes a 100mm F1.2 ASPH lens. With focus peaking on my Olympus EPL-1 and viewfinder, it works quite well. But it is really quite big and heavy for the little camera. I have the Rayqual adapter I bought on Craigslist, and it is well made and solid.

Also there is a trick for mounting it on the M4/3 adapter, since the FD Bayonet mount is on the lens, you sort of turn it backwards first then forwards again, to catch the aperture pin, then it works well from there.

all the best,
Dave

DaveS

PS: I don't think there is any adapter with focus coupling for M, it is too tricky since nothing on the back of the lens moves to couple too. The last element is fixed on this one, and any FD lens wouldn't really have a way of coupling to M because of the mechanics of the lens, nothing to reference to the M Cam.

oh well, that is why we have more than one camera...... that is what I keep telling myself.

Dave