The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leica Super-Elmar-M 18 mm

mwalker

Subscriber Member
Leica Super-Elmar-M 18 mm

I'm thinking about doing more landscape stuff for a while. Anyone have this lens on a M9? any examples? Is it too wide?

Last edited:
I have one for the M9. Whether its too wide is probably a matter of personal taste. My preferred focal length for landscape work is around 24mm but I've had occasion to need wider.

Here's one image, un-cropped, taken on an M9:

Jan Brittenson

Senior Subscriber Member
For landscapes I think the WATE is the perfect tool. While 18 is a good sweet spot, sometimes it's not wide enough to separate the foreground. Both lenses are compact and excellent at all apertures; the only reason to stop down either is for dof. Some people use the Frankenfinder (I don't, though I have one), others use an 18mm finder; I use a CV 21mm finder (old plastic style). The CV finder's edges are about 15-16mm, it has framelines for 21, and 18 is halfway between. In fact, they used to sell it without framelines as a 15mm finder. But an 18mm Zeiss or Leica finder is a good option, too, then just adjust the lens a little wider or tighter for framing purposes.

I like to shoot by first finding the camera placement that gives me the perfect scale relationship (perspective) between foreground and background, then adjust the focal length for precise framing - this is where a zoom lens really shines. For static subjects like landscapes this is a non-issue, and lens speed doesn't matter, but you can't shoot people stuff the same way.

mwalker

Subscriber Member
It doesn't look to wide. I bought it so Ill shoot it in a week or so
beautiful images Aravind

francishmt

I had it before and thought it is a good lens. My only problem with is was the wavy distortion. It really annoyed me.

If I am to buy another one, I might consider the Zeiss 18mm which is supposed to have better distortion control.