The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

M9 SENSOR QUESTION

Moonshine

My M9 sensor is a bit dusty as some of my pics with a sky has light dots on it..so I'm guessing its the sensor. How do i go about cleaning it? Please advise
Thanks very much!!

V

Vivek

My M9 sensor is a bit dusty as some of my pics with a sky has light dots on it..so I'm guessing its the sensor. How do i go about cleaning it? Please advise
Thanks very much!!
What does the manual say?

Godfrey

Invest in a Visible Dust cleaning solution, then use it in accordance with the Leica instructions for cleaning the sensor.

Jan Brittenson

Senior Subscriber Member
White spots are very likely some goo or liquid and will need a fluid to dissolve them and wipes to remove... Dust and sand is opaque so creates black spots.

250swb

If you have never cleaned your sensor before it is very likely that you do have some oil or grease on it that has been thrown off by the shutter mechanism. So a Rocket blower won't work, and you don't want to try a brush, such as an Arctic Butterfly, because that will spread the grease and it will contaminate the brush. The oil problem on the sensor does go away after a few cleans, and then you can regularly use blowers or brushes (with a wet clean every few months if you are lucky).

So you need a wet cleaning kit, there is no way around that. Visible Dust make a good product, but there are others available. Do not try one of the 'sticky pad' systems as they cannot remove oil. The temptation for beginners is to try whatever seems easiest (like blowers etc) but wet cleaning is easy if you follow the instructions, it just doesn't sound easy.

Steve