The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

tripod set up for a M9

mwalker

Subscriber Member
My tripod was stolen and I need a new rig. I haven't been in this market for a while, what do you suggest? For the M9, landscape, need to pack on my motorcycle so small size.

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
With my M8, I was pleased with the Gitzo 2 series.
The 3 series was just a bit unnecessarily big.
-bob

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Mike,

What size tripod can you comfortably carry on your motorcycle? I would assume that you'd need to consider a 'traveler' category of tripod, i.e. something shorter than 19in when folded?

If you are looking at these sizes then I'd recommend taking a look at the Feisol CT-3441T or CT-3442T, Benro Travel Angel series like the C-2691, 3 Legged Thing Brian, or perhaps a Gitzo 1542T (a bit short for my liking). Another alternative would be the RRS TVC-24 if you have the space.

The Gitzo 2 series and so on are great for the M9 but I find them too large for comfortable air travel which I would assume is a similar constraint to putting on a bike. I just recently revamped my travel 'pod choice because my long term ideal tripod (Gitzo 1541T) ended up being too short without the center post extended on just too many occasions.

Any of the travel tripods will be more than rigid enough for an M9 outfit.

Last edited:

mwalker

Subscriber Member
Thanks guys, I think I can get 24" + or - in the panniers or I can mount it behind me somehow, I don't like the short tripods I like to stand on most my shots but it needs to be light. Thinking about a RRS 30 ball or something like that....

D&A

All excellent suggestions above. I'll throw one more out there which I found was the best compromise when I do fairly serious (cycling) or cycle touring. I found it was the best combination for a variety of things such as amazingly compact (around 17" folded with head, very light weight (3.1 lbs with head), good support for M9 and most any lens and not quite as expensie as the superb Gitzo's. It's the Benro C1691 Travel Angel CF (comes with head). One leg detaches and can be used as a monopod, but this has somewhat limited use since the last section of leg is quite thin and can be flexy. Drawback is it's a 4 section tripod and the last section is a bit on thin side, but overall stable in most situations encountered with the M9. Feet are rubber with retractable spike feet. Max height is 4.5 feet without extending center column or 5.28 feet with center column extended.

Since RRS heads are far superior, you can use something like a RRS 30 and it should still work well. If you need more height, then one of the other recommendations is preferable.

Dave (D&A)

Last edited:

GrahamWelland

24" makes your choice much easier - and basically means a folded size of maybe 20 - 21" max with the head added on top. That means something like a Gitzo 2 series is definitely doable.

Btw, a useful trick I've used is to fit a RRS lever clamp on the top of each tripod and a RRS round dovetail plate (TH-DVTL or TH-DVTL-40) on each of my tripod heads so that I can instantly remove it for travel. The net result is that you can pack a tripod with a longer leg length and very easily put the head on & off without the hassle of screwing it on/off (or in my case the incentive was not being able to remove a head and it getting damaged in transit!).

mwalker

Subscriber Member
Heres the bike (Its not quite so clean now). Southern Ill (Shawnee National Forest) is full of miles and miles of gravel roads and thats what I've been riding on since I was a kid. Lots of landscape opportunities. You can see the size of the panniers...Graham thats a good point about the head removal.....

250swb

I would recommend the Feisol Traveller series. 17 inches folded and 70 inches extended. Not much bending down needed.

Steve

Ben Rubinstein

Isn't a Gitzo 2 series overkill? I use that for a full sized SLR and it's more than enough. I'd think that a 1 series would be more than enough for an M9 with whatever lens you choose to use.

GrahamWelland

Ben,

Personally I would agree that the Gitzo 2 series is on the large side for just an M9, although I've not once found that I didn't want to use the same tripod with something else at some point. My personal recommendation would be be for a traveler kind of sized tripod such as the Feisol just for an M9 (I use them for my m4/3rds cameras & travel too). That said, better to go for the most stable platform that you're prepared to carry.

Last edited:

mwalker

Subscriber Member
I think I'm going this route, FEISOL Traveler Tripod CT-3441T Rapid and a rrs30 with the quick release trick Graham suggested. Thanks!

D&A

The Feisol tripods are really good. I got to use the very similar CT-3441S a while back, which is the slightly more compact version (folded) and of course shorter version of the CT-3441T where you don't need the extra height of the CT-3441T. The Feisol CT-3441S I used was on par with very similar speced Benro C1691 Travel Angel that I recommended (above), each having slightly different designs and therefore advantages/disadvantages. Weight & size is almost identical between the shorter Feisol and Benro, once a head is added to the CT-3441S (the Benro is spec'd with it's included head, which can easily be changed to something like a RR 30. The only thing to watch out for is whenver adding a head and/or QR platform to any of these folded tripods, is that the inverted legs fully close without hitting any of the heads knobs. This I found was important.

The Feisol I used didn't have the anti-lock rotation (ALR) cut into the legs, so quick set-up was slower than the Benro and although for some a minor inconvienience, I found this was one of the deciding factors why I went with the Benro. I think though the current production Feisol's (for a while now) do now incorporate ALR.

Great looking cycle by the way!

Dave (D&A)

Last edited:

Shashin

For a ball head, I would recommend the Arca Swiss P0. Brilliant design, very light, very compact, and an amazing load limit--it holds my MFD rig and I am sure it will not have any problems with an M9.

Godfrey

My tripod was stolen and I need a new rig. I haven't been in this market for a while, what do you suggest? For the M9, landscape, need to pack on my motorcycle so small size.
I use a Feisol CT3442 Tournament with center column and Acratech Ultimate Ball Head. Carries a payload of 12+ lbs easily, has a fully extended height of 72", packs down to 19x5" in it's case. All up weight with case is 4 lbs, 13 oz. Very sturdy and well made.

Even without extending the column it achieves putting the camera at eye level for me and I'm 6' tall.

Camera on the tripod is a Ricoh GXR-M fitted with Hektor 135mm.

Last edited:

Don Libby

I'll second the Feisol tripods; picked one up for those longish hikes when I had the M9. It also worked well with the Cambo and works well with a DF.

Don

Jan Brittenson

Senior Subscriber Member
I use a Velbon Carmagne 520 for travel and hiking, and it fits without a head in the Givi top case on my R1150GS. For a head I use the Acratech ultimate, although I just got an Acratech GV2 I like. I also got an Acratech leveling base which I really like as well, so I think those will come with me more often than not.

I don't usually carry a tripod in the top case though; instead I have replaced the passenger seat with a cargo plate from Wunderlich. The plate is level with luggage, so forms a wide flat surface for a large touring bag when on the road (in my case from Mag's Bags). I throw a full size tripod in there in its case, and usually a photo bag as well. The weight ends up right behind me, where a passenger would sit, which is much better than a very rearward top case. (With a touring bag on I don't use the top box; that's there just for errands and general everyday use.)

The camera (M9 typically) itself and a couple of lenses of course go in the tank bag that I line with bubble wrap. In pouches or wrapped with something to keep them from dinging against other contents.

This is just an idea. A lot of the stuff - tripod, bike, cargo plate, Mag's Bags, aren't sold anymore. I use the stock luggage, but for more serious touring (like if I shipped the bike to Asia to ride it to Europe) I'd get Al Jesses.

Last edited:

GrahamWelland

I think I'm going this route, FEISOL Traveler Tripod CT-3441T Rapid and a rrs30 with the quick release trick Graham suggested. Thanks!
Btw, I only use the lever clamps on the bigger tripods. I wouldn't bother with a traveler unless you find that it won't fit. The reverse folding legs protect the head and you don't have the same issues with the head sticking up and adding a lot of extra length.

bensonga

To save weight, my friend opted take a carbon fiber monopod when he rode from Alaska to Laguna Seca for the 2009 MotoGP race on his the BMW 1200GSA. ;)

Gary

mwalker

Subscriber Member
Re: tripod set up for a M9 and BMW F650GS

F650GS; the continental knobbies do surprising well on the highway and really good on gravel / dirt roads.