The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

FAST 50mm FOR M9

Double Negative

Not Available
The 1,5 Nokton is a real peach. Perfect? No. But a great price and pretty nice rendering all things considered. And, unlike "new and improved" CV lenses, doesn't focus shift. ;)

Moonshine

The 1,5 Nokton is a real peach. Perfect? No. But a great price and pretty nice rendering all things considered. And, unlike "new and improved" CV lenses, doesn't focus shift. ;)
Haha! Now if I can only find a 'gently used' one. If not I'll get it new from camera quest

wjlapier

Here's are two pics of the Nikkor S mount 50/1.4 and a pic taken at f/2. The lens and adapter combo could run you near $600. As I mentioned low contrast at 1.4 though still sharp, why I usually shoot at f/2.

kirio

The Nokton 50/1.5 is an excellent lens. It is also relatively easy to modify to close-focus to about 0.7m making it a bargain compared to the prices E46 Pre-Asph Summilux go for these days. The modification requires disassembling the lens and some filing so it's not for the faint of heart but is well worth the effort.

dseelig

Get the zeiss the nokton is crap I owned it and got a lot of fringing with it . Also a very soft lens contrast and sharpness wise the zeiss is much better

dseelig

Quite frankly I listened to reid reviews bought some of the cheap stuff he suggested and I got cheap stuff not good equipment

seakayaker

Get the zeiss the nokton is crap I owned it and got a lot of fringing with it . Also a very soft lens contrast and sharpness wise the zeiss is much better
Quite frankly I listened to reid reviews bought some of the cheap stuff he suggested and I got cheap stuff not good equipment

My experience with Voigtlander lenses are just the opposite to yours.

The 50/1.5 Nokton is a great lens, as is the 75/2.5, 40/1.4, and 28/1.9

I have enjoyed each of the above lens and had no issues at all.

JMHO

Godfrey

My experience with Voigtlander lenses are just the opposite to yours.

The 50/1.5 Nokton is a great lens, as is the 75/2.5, 40/1.4, and 28/1.9

I have enjoyed each of the above lens and had no issues at all.

JMHO
+1

I've acquired a bunch of CV lenses now and find them to be very good performers. Perhaps not "Leica good", or "Zeiss good", but we're talking high end audiophile distinctions here. ];-)

Brian S

The 50/1.1 Nokton and 35/1.2 Nokton that I own are nicely made, smooth to operate, and deliver great results. Perhaps not the build quality of a 1950s Summicron, but then again- nothing is, not even new Leica lenses.

Godfrey

'leica good or zeiss good' as in image quality or ergonomics?
I was thinking image quality/performance. Ergonomics ... few M-bayonet lenses I've used are terribly different from an ergonomics standpoint. Some are smaller and handier to carry.

mikel

Moonshine, like wj I use a Nikkor on an adapter, and it is one case where the ergonomics (focus and aperture direction) are different. I had both the Nokton f1.5 and the Nikkor Millenium, and since I still had a Nikon S2, I kept the Nikkor. The Nikkor had better flare resistance than the Nokton I had, but otherwise I couldn't tell them apart in most conditions, and any differences didn't really matter. The Nokton is also bigger, especially with the factory hood, but otherwise I'd go that route unless you get the Nikon rangefinder bug.

Brian S

If your main reason for not getting the Nokton F1.1 is "lack of character", then get the Zeiss Sonnar.

If you want to get the fastest lens possible- go with the F1.1 Nokton.

The F1.5 Nokton used to go for $300~$400. It is closer to $700 new. The F1.1 is not that much more for a full F-Stop extra. When the F1.1 lens is discontinued, prices will shoot up.

I have the 50/1.1 Nokton and the C-Sonnar 50/1.5, plus another 15 or so 50mm lenses faster than F1.8 in Leica mount. Some odd-ball ones like the 50/1.5 Simlar and custom converted Zeiss Sonnars. The C-Sonnar has lots of "character" wide-open, but the F1.1 Nokton on an M9-

How low can you go.

Moonshine

i would love to get a sonnar 1.5...i've seen lovely images from it but its a tricky one from what I've read and with my inexperience in having to adjust for front/back focussing...it may not not be for me :(
the nokton 1.1 50 seems rather bland, image wise, but from what i've seen of the nokton 1.5 (and i could be wrong) it looks like it has more appeal. I just hope that its a solid lens because i don't want to be buying and selling again..

Godfrey

i would love to get a sonnar 1.5...i've seen lovely images from it but its a tricky one from what I've read and with my inexperience in having to adjust for front/back focussing...it may not not be for me :(
the nokton 1.1 50 seems rather bland, image wise, but from what i've seen of the nokton 1.5 (and i could be wrong) it looks like it has more appeal. I just hope that its a solid lens because i don't want to be buying and selling again..
I don't know if you went for one, but in an impulsive moment I ordered a new Nokton 50mm f/1.5 and adapter a few moments ago. Figured there can only be so many new ones left and if it isn't exactly what I'm after, well, they sell used for very near what SG sells them for new at this point.

I'll let y'all know what I think about it when it gets here (and I have some time to go shooting with it, my real issue these days!).

Brian S

I added another Sonnar F1.5.

Oldest, made in 1934.

and the "prettiest".

I'll do a comparison with the C-Sonnar, two Sonnars made 75 years apart.

sirimiri

I have used the Nokton 1.1 extensively and it is a fantastic lens for the money, in my opinion. I've only used one copy (mine) but it's quite sharp in the center at f/1.1 with some slight veiling haze and of course color fringing at areas of high contrast.

But for $900 or so used, it's unbeatable.

The Nokton 1.5 has a more "classic" look, with gentle spherical aberrations that emphasize the subject in the center. Mine has appreciable axial chromatic aberrations wide open, at contrastive transitions but it cleans up nicely by f/2.

Another "sleeper" I think, is the Nokton 40mm. It's wicked sharp and renders nicely. It's like a slightly wider, slightly faster Nokton 1.5, but natively M.

Hausen

I have had both lenses and have very recently sold my Sonnar to get a Summicron 50 new. The Sonnar is a superb lens. I sent mine back to Cosina and they optimised it for focus wide open. This is a pain if you want to use wide open it needs to be adjusted. If I had to choose between these two lenses I think I would go with the Nokton because of the value of what you get for what you pay.