The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

FAST 50mm FOR M9

Armanius

Great buy there Godfrey. Hopefully Moonshine picked up one as well. I've had my Nokton 50/1.5 for a while now. Currently, I also have the Nokton Skopar 50/2.5 and the Zeiss Planar 50. Contemplating about picking up a 50 Summilux ASPH (as soon as I sell one of my kidneys off at Fred Miranda). I love 50mm!

Anyhow, here's a pic with the Nokton 50/1.5. Having also used the Nokton 50/1.1 in the past, the 50/1.5 is a much better performer at or around 1.5 than the 1.1.

Bokeh of the Voigtlander Nokton 50/1.5 by Armanius, on Flickr

Here's a Nokton 50/1.5 review with a couple of comparisons against the Summilux ASPH.

Voigtlander Nokton 50 1.5 Lens Review | STEVE HUFF PHOTOS

Godfrey

Another "sleeper" I think, is the Nokton 40mm. It's wicked sharp and renders nicely. It's like a slightly wider, slightly faster Nokton 1.5, but natively M.
+1 ... The Nokton 40 is one of my most used lenses, on both GXR and Leica M. It's a terrific piece.

With luck, my 50/1.5 will be here today or tomorrow. :)

Godfrey

Nice portrait, and thanks for the link to Steve Huff's page!

I also have the Skopar 50/2.5 ... a very sweet and very compact lens. I'm now at the point of way too many lenses compared to how much time I have to spend making photographs. Sigh.

Armanius

Nice portrait, and thanks for the link to Steve Huff's page!

I also have the Skopar 50/2.5 ... a very sweet and very compact lens. I'm now at the point of way too many lenses compared to how much time I have to spend making photographs. Sigh.
I hear ya! I ended up returning the Zeiss Planar so that I can justify getting a Lux. I figure that I might as well give it a run, even though from the review at Steve Huff's site, I didn't see much of a difference between the Nokton 50/1.5 and the 50 Lux.

Godfrey

Nokton 50/1.5 arrived this morning. It is smaller and lighter than I had expected.. very nice!

I have no time to experiment with it until this evening.
I'll mount it on the M9 and see what it does for the next week and some.

Godfrey

Two quickie exposures this evening ... Nothing special, just snaps of Felipe in my office just before the sun went down. Both at f/1.5 ...

Lovely lens, it has a lovely presence.
Well worth the money!

Armanius

Glad you are enjoying your Nokton 50/1.5 Godfrey! IMO, the 50/1.5 just simply can't be beat in terms of price/performance ratio.

Armanius

I still haven't found a nice used nokton 1.5...one of these days.. :(

Godfrey congrats!! your pics are lovely!
I may sell mine Moonshine. I just got a 50 Lux. Still deciding on which one to keep though. To my eyes, the Nokton seems a tiny bit sharper than the 50 Lux. Just not as contrasty and the bokeh is not as creamy.

Godfrey

Just bought the Nokton! Waiting for it to be shipped :)
Is the lens hood worth getting as I haven't got one yet?
I've been using the standard short hood. The deeper, full hood is probably a plus, but it's a touch on the pricey side if you buy the Voigtländer original. I haven't found it to be terribly necessary.

It's a standard 52mm filter thread so it should also be easy to obtain any number of quality aftermarket threaded metal lens hoods. I probably have a couple of them in my 'miscellaneous hoods and caps' box.

(For the M9, a standard 50mm normal hood will work nicely. For an APS-C camera, I'd use a B&W or similar short tele hood.)

Armanius

Just bought the Nokton! Waiting for it to be shipped :)
Is the lens hood worth getting as I haven't got one yet?
Congrats!!!

I haven't had much of a glare issue with the Nokton 50/1.5. So I would hold off on buying the hood, and just use the short screw-on hood. The lens cap goes over the screw-on hood, so you'll likely be keeping the short screw-on hood on all the time.

sirimiri

I had originally coded the Nokton 50mm f/1.5 as the Summilux 50 pre-aspherical and regret it, as it overcorrects the vignetting at certain apertures and anything with a uniform tone, such as skies, look pretty bad.

For the time being, I leave it uncoded.