The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

FAST 50mm FOR M9

Godfrey

Godfrey, I look forward to hearing your more detailed impressions.

I am considering to buy one. Where did you get yours?
Impressions:

- very nicely made
- nice feel to both aperture and focus ring action
- wish it had a focusing tab, the focus ring knurling is a little slick
- a little bulky but not overweight or oversized
- image quality is outstanding ... very little flare even wide open, sharp and contrasty even wide open, smooth and pleasant bokeh too. Gets even better on sharpness, contrast etc a stop or two down.

I find it simply an outstanding lens. Once I did some shooting with it, I knew for a fact this was a keeper. Glad I sprung for it.

I bought mine from Steve Gandy at CameraQuest.com, new. Lens and Voigtländer type II M-bayonet adapter with sales tax, total, cost was right about $800. A bargain at that price for this kind of quality. (And my friend in New York gloated that he got his a half decade back for half that ... I'll slap him when next I get to NY. ;-)

It does still life work very nicely as well as people ...

Leica M9 + CV Nokton 50mm f/1.5
ISO 800 @ f/1.5 @ 1/25

Just a great lens!

Last edited:

Double Negative

Not Available
Very nice! Indeed, it's a great lens. My personal favorite is the 35 Nokton.

It's a shame that the replacement, the f/1.1 doesn't compare to either.

Congrats again, and happy shooting! :)

Godfrey

Very nice! Indeed, it's a great lens. My personal favorite is the 35 Nokton.

It's a shame that the replacement, the f/1.1 doesn't compare to either.

Congrats again, and happy shooting! :)
thx!

My 'other favorite' is the 40 Nokton ... that's what's on the M9 today. I'm off to the farmers market now.