The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New M8 firmware

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I downloaded it and once it finished it changed to a UPD file, not a zip??? What did you guys open it with? Stuffit didn't even know what it was.

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Jack,
Mine unzipped automatically on the MacBookPro. What was left was M8-2 000.upd. Copy that .upd file to the root directory of a card formatted in the camera. You know the drill from there.;) (BTW, make sure you wait the 3 0r 4 seconds after turning on the M8, per the instructions.)
Cindy

j. white

The UPD is the updater file. From your question, it sounds as though it was "un-zipped" immediately after download.

To continue with the update, copy the UPD file to an SD (not SDHC) card and insert it into your M8 (while it's off). When you turn the camera on, the camera should recognize the UPD file and prompt you as to whether or not you'd like to update the camera. Wait three seconds and commence with updating the firmware.

-J.

Bob Parsons

Jack, the file that you download from Leica is a zip compressed file m8-2_000.zip with a size of 2,235,013 bytes. When that's decompressed (unzipped) it expands to m8-2_000.upd with a size of 5,014,254 bytes. That's the update (upd) file you need to transfer to the top level root directory of your SD card.

It looks as if your Mac has a utility for automatically decompressing zip files after they've been downloaded, that's why you ended up with a upd file.

Bob.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Okay, thanks guys --- how stupid of me... (Been a long week here in Florida.)

etrigan63

That would be Safari, Jack. It auto-unzips zip archives by default. You can deactivate it in Preferences.