The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New M8 firmware

ecliffordsmith

Hi Rob,

Thanks for the information. I see that there is know way back to earlier versions of the firmware once you upgrade. Lets hope there are no glitches.

Guy,

Have you been using this for some time? Are there any other non documented features?

gero

thanks Robert. I have just updated my apple software and the highlight problem in Aperture for the DMR was fixed.:)

ecliffordsmith

Thanks Rob.

Looking at LUF it seems like this is a very nice release. I will try it out when I get home.

Stephen,

Guy certainly did have an M8. He used to get beta releases of the firmware, hence my question.

I have no idea if he still owns one though ...

johnastovall

Deceased, but remembered fondly here...
Just upgraded and it looks fine. The auto-iso look like it will take some figuring out but over to New Egg for some 8 or 16 gig Extreme III SD cards.

bradhusick

I loaded it on both my M8s and I like it. The auto ISO allows you to set the maximum ISO and / or the minimum shutter speed, or set the speed as lens-specific (1/focal length). Nice.

Woody Campbell

Workshop Member
Great update. Supports SDHC cards - so much for the hardware issue. Using a Sandisk 8meg ultra II, startup times and write times are dramatically faster. Very, very nice.

Auto ISO as noted.

What else - there isn't any documentation up in English? Any difference in high ISO performance?

carstenw

Someone at the LUF mentioned that the high ISO results look a bit better. Having gone through this line of wishful thinking for previous firmware updates, I was ready for it this time, and did shots at ISO 1600 and ISO 2500, before and after. There is a noticeable difference, with much better smoothing going on now. They are still quite noisy, but better. I wonder what the difference will look like after a round of Noise Ninja or a similar piece of software?

ecliffordsmith

Hi All,

After playing around with ISO 2500 and 1250 I agree with Carsten that there appears to be an improvment in the noise. The chroma noise seems to be thinner and less blotchy. I have not tried the JPEGs yet.

I bought myself a SanDisk Extreme III SDHC card though and cant say the write times appear to have changed much. Are people noticing a dramatic difference here? I am shooting DNG only which I never considered bad in the first instance.

fotografz

Loaded with no issue.:clap:

Faster start up. Definitely faster reformatting.:thumbup:

High ISO is marginally better ... ISO 1250 is almost usable now for me, and I'll take it in a pinch ... especially converted to B&W.:rolleyes:

Had hoped for 1250 to be much better ... oh well.:(

Everyone can thank me for the SDHC support ... I sold all my SDHCs last week ... so of course this week they provide HC support :banghead:

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Everyone can thank me for the SDHC support ... I sold all my SDHCs last week ... so of course this week they provide HC support :banghead:
Thanks Marc! :)D) But the truth is I am glad to know I am not the only person to get screwed on those types of timing errors :ROTFL: Plus, if I was a luckier person than you, I'd be one of the folks who got some of your large cards!

Cheers,

John Black

Hi Carsten - Thank you for the follow up. I'll give 1250 a try again this weekend (firmware update went fine). Maybe I'll change my opinion on ISO 1250. I hope so.

carstenw

...or maybe I will? Try it in darker situations. High ISO often looks much better in daylight tests than in actual dark situations. I will see if I can get my first result online sometime this weekend.

R

roberth

and I just bought 4 new cards specifically not SDHC.

Auto ISO looks like it may be useful.

Jan Brittenson

Senior Subscriber Member
Works great with the Sandisk Ultra II 16GB SDHC cards I use for my camcorder (Canon HF10). And an old LG SDHC 4GB I use for the GX100 works great. The LG is quite fast, so it may become my standard for the M8.

j. white

I loaded the new firmware yesterday and thus far it's performed flawlessly.

Auto ISO is a welcome feature. In fact, it's the only feature I missed after trying and selling the D200, so for me personally the M8 now behaves as a digital camera ought to. Nothing more, and now, nothing less.

I shot a few pre and post update 2500 ISO shots last night and will have a chance to evaluate them later today.