The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New firmware problem

TimWright

Just a warning. Installed the new firmware on my M8 and it trashed it. Followed all the procedures as usual and camera will not startup now. And yes I followed all the procedures as I have done with all previous updates. I have had very few problems with this camera so feel it was just bad luck but Leica needs to address these rudimentary problems in a professional level camera. A basic reset firmware built into the rom would allow recovery instead of a trip in for service.

fotografz

Just a warning. Installed the new firmware on my M8 and it trashed it. Followed all the procedures as usual and camera will not startup now. And yes I followed all the procedures as I have done with all previous updates. I have had very few problems with this camera so feel it was just bad luck but Leica needs to address these rudimentary problems in a professional level camera. A basic reset firmware built into the rom would allow recovery instead of a trip in for service.
Yikes!

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Tim,
Sorry to hear about this. I would call Leica in NJ first thing in the morning and get info directly from them.
Good luck.

TimWright

Thanks, my dealer actually has a shipment going out tomorrow and is going to call his contacts first thing in the morning. He said he will hold the shipment till i get there. He is also headed to Germany, I said maybe he could hand it to them directly.

fotografz

Tim, don't want to appear remeadial, but did you try charging a different battery overnight, and using a different SD card (non-SDHC)?

My M8 updated fine.

TimWright

Yup I left the battery out and tried with a fresh battery and card this morning with no results so off to service it goes.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Tim, do you by any chance have an early serial number body? I wonder if they got in an early batch of SD readers that weren't spec'd for SDHC?

TimWright

It is early I got mine the first week they were released but I was using a standard card. I spoke to NJ this morning and they said it might be a circuit board failure although I have had no problems other than this. Anyway it is on it's way to NJ.

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Tim,
Did yours ever go back to Solms for the original update?

My first week M8 went back to Solms early on for the update. It then was one of the first to die of SDS. It was replaced so that Leica could have it back for testing. I was just shooting away when mine died and it had given no indication that it was about to do so.

It does seem funny that yours would pick that time to go, but better now than after the warranty was up.;)

TimWright

Yes it went back early in the program, I had no problem with it but sent it in anyway. My dealer had arranged to send back a few that he had sold and they went in right at the start of the program. The only problem I have had was a couple of lockups but they were in the winter in freezing temperatures and i am sure it just the battery.