The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leica Summilux-M 50mm f/1.4 ASPH review

Double Negative

Not Available
Can you explain the care-free part? Not sure to understand...
Easy. The two current competitors to the Summilux are the Zeiss C Sonnar T* 1,5/50 ZM and Voigtländer 50mm f/1.1 Nokton. Both have focus shift and vary slightly (the Sonnar shifts as you open up, Nokton shifts as you stop down). The Summilux has no focus shift whatsoever (thanks to the FLE). Therefore - "care-free" to use and shoot however you want. :)

This is mentioned in the review as well, but I suppose it might not be clear.

Double Negative

Not Available
I updated the review to use the word "carefree" as opposed to "care-free." This is perhaps a little more accurate, especially with the new site/content translation I added this morning.

I'm also quite chuffed to announce that Leica has picked up the review and will post it on their blog! :)

Gary Clennan

I updated the review to use the word "carefree" as opposed to "care-free." This is perhaps a little more accurate, especially with the new site/content translation I added this morning.

I'm also quite chuffed to announce that Leica has picked up the review and will post it on their blog! :)
I really appreciate your reviews. Thank you!

Moonshine

I really like your reviews
now if i could just afford that lens! do u think prices will ever drop on used ones?!

Double Negative

Not Available
I really like your reviews
now if i could just afford that lens! do u think prices will ever drop on used ones?!
Thanks a lot, Moonshine! :)

I think once various "factors" in the market change, prices will level a bit. Most especially Leica production. If people can't buy new lenses, they'll look for used ones - and bad economies make it worse as well.

But I think one has to be realistic as to what the "average going rate" is or will be... Leica lenses are oddly like gold - the value just keeps going up. Heck, a lens I bought for <$800 not even two years ago regularly sells for $1,400 these days. My advice would be "buy as soon as you can" but keep an eye out for deals, as they do happen.

Moonshine

I think once various "factors" in the market change, prices will level a bit. Most especially Leica production. If people can't buy new lenses, they'll look for used ones - and bad economies make it worse as well.

But I think one has to be realistic as to what the "average going rate" is or will be... Leica lenses are oddly like gold - the value just keeps going up. Heck, a lens I bought for <$800 not even two years ago regularly sells for $1,400 these days. My advice would be "buy as soon as you can" but keep an eye out for deals, as they do happen.
thanks!

JPizzzle

It's possible to find some good deals-I got a used silver 50 lux asph for $2000 still in warranty since I bought the m9 from the guy as well ($4500 for the m9 in fair condition)-unbelievable deal. Not the norm, but still possible...

Double Negative

Not Available
It's possible to find some good deals-I got a used silver 50 lux asph for $2000 still in warranty since I bought the m9 from the guy as well ($4500 for the m9 in fair condition)-unbelievable deal. Not the norm, but still possible...
Damn, that IS a deal!

I should say, "buy as soon as you can but don't be in a rush." Wait for the deals rather than jump on any ol' ad. It's when you're in a rush that you'll end up paying more than necessary. Especially when it comes to the latest and greatest new stuff (witness the $7k price tags on a $5k lens - 35 FLE).