The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

John Milich - Good Option?

John Black

I have a couple Leica lenses I'm thinking about having coded. Any concerns or words of caution before removing the rings and sending them to John? I also have a Zeiss 50/2 ZM. After reading some googling, it sounds like the Zeiss lenses have a screw where the coding should go. Is this true? Thanks.

stephengilbert

John milled a Zeiss 21 mount for me and there is a screw where one of the indents falls. In the case of the 21, it presented no problem as it was an indent that needed to be white, and I only fill in the black indents. It works fine.

Mike Hatam

Senior Subscriber Member
John is actually a member on this site. I've met John in person, and had the pleasure of photographing in Moab, Utah with him.

I've sent lenses to John to be coded and had no issues at all. He's well respected for this type of service.

etrigan63

Throw me into the "Pro John Milich" camp. I've had several lens mounts milled and modified by him (CV and Zeiss). The man is a consummate professional, fast and efficient.

John Black

I wasn't worried about John perse. My concerns were possible hidden issues with getting the divots milled. I'm not all that excited to unscrew the rings from the lenses. It looks simple enough - famous last words.

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
I wasn't worried about John perse. My concerns were possible hidden issues with getting the divots milled. I'm not all that excited to unscrew the rings from the lenses. It looks simple enough - famous last words.
It depends on the lens.
If the mount os the sort that comes off with the removal of a few screws located in the mating surface of the mount, then you should have no trouble, just be careful of preserving shims should there be any.
On the other hand, if your lens construction is of the sort where the helical focusing mount must come apart, such as the pre-asph 50mm Lux, then you might think twice about separating the helical threads since they are fussy to put back together in the proper orientation. In that case, consider DAG as your coding source.
-bob

jlm

Workshop Member
thanks for the props, guys.

by the way, I agree with sending your lenses to DAG if the dis-assembly looks tricky. DAG sends me the mounts to mill anyway.

jm

Chris C

John - Hi, I bought a flange from you and I'm glad I did, though I hated being forced to trade through wretched Paypal rather than have a choice to purchase with a credit card. I hope you will revise that purchasing restriction; Paypal, in my case, was anything but convenient and flawless.

Other than that - thanks for the service you provide.

.............. Chris

gero

John, I sent two zeis mounts and I just screwed them back in but I am wandering if I should put some type of glue in ? What glue?

Thank you, Geronimo

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
gero:

I wouldn't bother. BUT, if you want to secure the little screws, try using green locktite or even clear nail polish. Use either by dipping a toothpick in it and touching the rim of the screw after tightening it. Do not use too much of either, just a dab --- especially go easy with the locktite as it is an oily residue product.

gero

thank you, Jack. I won't do anything and if I find out something is loose after some time I'll try what you say.