The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

21mm f/3.4 Super Angulon Question

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
I finally found a 21 f/3.4 Super Angulon.:) I was testing it on Saturday without a UV/IR filter and noticed some magenta (in landscape photos) in the center and the edges. I have a UV/IR filter on the way and had arranged for the flange to be sent to JM. I started thinking about the fall-off/vignette pattern of the SA and I'm not sure if coding it as an elmarit or WATE will not just complicate the issue. Can anyone with a SA give me some guidance?

Chuck Jones

Subscriber Member
Hi Cindy! My advice would be not to code it. I think you may be in for more trouble if you do, as there is no code assigned to the 21 f/3.4. Since there is no auto anything with this lens, corrections for any other lens just will not be the same thing, results wise. If the IR bothers you, use the filter by all means, but I would not suggest coding it.

As to the IR effects, having shot my 21 f/3.4 constantly over the last two years on the M8, I haven't bothered to even locate an IR filter that would fit it. The strange effects and shifts in artificial lighting looks kind of "fitting" to me. Well, maybe I should rephrase that to say my style suits the way that lens looks, warts and all. <Grin>.

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Thank you Chuck and Jack for confirming what I suspected. I really appreciate it.
I actually am not using the IR filters on any of my lenses that much any more and don't run into too much trouble, but I did see contamination in all of the SA shots. I'll work it out in software.

Chuck Jones

Subscriber Member
Cindy, the color pallet from the SA is a bit different from most other Leica glass, so take care you aren't processing out the character of the lens! This is my own personal favorite lens on the M8, due exactly to those differences. Work with it, and push it around a bit in post, and see what you come up with. Dare to think outside the box with this lens, it is more than up to it.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Again, what Chuck said... I'll simply add that the SA21 comes into its own in dim light, and is downright magic in that environment ;)

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Thanks again, Chuck and Jack. I've canceled the coding.
I'm excited to try it in dim light. I've noticed that dim light really brings out the magic.
This is a shot from the first day. I worked on the magenta, but there is still a bit in the vignette. I'll remember next time to "Work with it, and push it around a bit in post, ...".

cam

Cindy, if you ever decide you don't want to deal with it... :D

(i didn't want to add how gorgeous it looks -- damn!)

Last edited:

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Cindy, if you ever decide you don't want to deal with it... :D

(i didn't want to add how gorgeous it looks -- damn!)
:ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL: Fat Chance.
Seriously, Cam, you ought to put this lens on your shortlist. It would really fit your style.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
One thing about this lens is the way it falls off. It is an older design where they leaned toward rectilinear performance and resolution at the expense of accepting increased (but gentile) falloff. Since the lens remains sharp over the transition, the entire image looks good, but the falloff naturally moves the eye toward center; this is a characteristic more normal to medium format than 35mm, and one of the reasons I think this lens is so sweet ;)

cam

:ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL: Fat Chance.
Seriously, Cam, you ought to put this lens on your shortlist. It would really fit your style.
darlin', i know! i'm one of those who told you not to bother with the f/4. i found a sweet chrome collectors' lens here in May that i fell head over heels with. unfortunately, with the exchange rate, it cost over $2000... haven't found another since, and this isn't one i want to trust to ebay.

if you come across another sweet specimen, give a holler. in the meanwhile, enjoy! it is a truly special lens,

johnastovall

Deceased, but remembered fondly here...
Why, why? I was just reading about this lens in Puts and Laney last night and thinking one would be nice but I'm storing up all my nuts for the 5DII and the long winter....

Now all these good words about it.....:banghead:

cam

no, no ,no! no squirreling away, John... you need this lens!

(and if you get it and don't like it... well, Cindy knows the score :p )