The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leica S Leak

Stuart Richardson

The dedicated website seems to indicate it is further along than I thought in terms of design -- they even have pictures of the viewfinders, the menu system, the LCD (460,000 pixels).

robmac

Also looks like they had some help with the web site design. Looks like a very nice piece of kit - played right, Phase (the presence of which changes the dynamics significantly) and Leica could have a winner here.

Lars

Hmm a closer look at the back... stunning industrial design, but compromises in the ergonomy area. Sure a clean back with just four menu buttons is pretty, but it's the same problem as with any system with visual feedback - you have to look at the display to use the buttons. Nothing beats dedicated buttons for intuitive response.

paulmoore

I feel they really need to move up the development of the R adapter to allow more lens choices.. I would hate to buy into this multifunctional system and have only 4 lenses ready when it hits the streets.. and this is what they are saying will be available for the first delivery...

Stuart Richardson

My guess is that this will not allow the use of R lenses -- the flange to focal distance is 47mm for Leica R, and that's pretty thin compared to most medium format systems. A sensor that large and that short of a film to flange distance might make lens design pretty difficult, particularly for the 24mm and 35mm lenses.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
It has a "middle-format sensor"! :ROTFL:
(couldn't resist)
Of course. It's in the middle of the camera :lecture:

Oh well, I guess it's just a way to say that it's not 60x45 or any other medium format size.

Interesting move by Leica this. As far as I can see, the system addresses more or less all the reasons I've had not to buy an MF camera (portability, ergonomics etc.), film or digital, except one... it's a tiny bit above my budget :rolleyes:

Stuart Richardson

I think the Germans call medium format "mittel" format so it is probably just a literal translation. I don't speak German, but my Rollei does! I noticed it in the directions...

Nitnaros

I speak German; "middle format" is indeed a one-to-one translation from German "Mittelformat" into English. Oh well, happens all the time to me too...

The other variables in the question of where the S2 will fit into the market, are high-ISO and autofocus performance. Curious about that...
If the S2 would do well, I could consider selling my Canon gear, Hasselbad gear and go with M7/M8 and an S camera.

I am wondering which of the S-system lenses will have leaf-shutter and which not ...? Maybe super-wides and teles w/o leaf-shutter?
--

Having PhaseOne provide customer support would be a big relief.
Performance of Leica NJ customer support is my biggest concern with my existing M8 and DMR.

I got my DMR back today after 3 weeks in Allendale for a R9-DMR alignment issue; the time estimate to check the two lenses I dropped off as well is 3-4 months!!!

Peter

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I posted this on LUF and it needs to be repeated here also.

Well the S system does bring leica to a new level for pro's and hobbyist that went to jump up. Been getting bits and pieces all day but so far i like what i am reading. The big part that actually got me out of my seat was the alliance with Phase One. This part was just downright freaking brilliant on all counts. Folks need to know how experienced they truly are in MF digital circles. The are considered one of the absolute best in this area . Between Firmware , software and there MF sensor technology with Kodak is beyond approach. Leica teaming up with them is extremely smart and if they have Phase One dealers handle the distribution of it even better. There service and repair service is amazingly good. I have a Phase body and back today and i am extremely impressed in this area alone. This has been as we know Leica's area of disappointment is service with the M8 and if they hand this off to Phase one than it is again a great idea to team with them. Today i can get a back by next morning at 10 am. if the stuff hits the fan , so this area being very important to Pro's can be very helpfull. The fact it has leaf shutters lenses and focal shutter camera like the Phase One systems makes it again a nice combo for wedding, fashion and commercial shooters. What needs to come out of this for the MF shooter of today like myself is the increase in speed of the camera itself. Right now I am at 1.5 seconds before i can hit the next frame.

The next area of concern today is shutter lag. Classic example shooting golf the other day i had to shoot at the start of the downswing to get the contact shot. This needs improvement. Other area's is ISO speed we need a clean ISO 1600 and I mean clean. Larger 3 inch display is also needed. If this leica S system can go after these area's of MF shooters concerns in this system than they are really doing us a large favor and bringing a real asset to our world. This is not about more MPX , my 22 mpx back will blow almost anything away. That is not the concern but the functionality that we lost going from DSLR to MF, we need to bring that speed into our area back. Also huge plus here is the fact they will have some T/S lenses as well as leaf lenses this also is a area that is lacking in MF. Now this is considered a bridge camera between DSLR and medium format but if the sped and i will repeat this again if the speed of this camera is reasonable close to the DSLR than watch these fly off the shelf.

I do say that with reservation though. leica needs to deliver a sound product , sorry no bullshit this time, your on my dollar and it needs to produce all the time. I say that with love in my heart for Leica but also with a strong you better get it right attitude. This is a lot of money to toss around and no one is going to play with my money if i go this direction. My Phase one back today is a freaking tank , they even run cars over it. If you want folks to jump up than they need to do it right and also price it correctly. This part is going to be very critical to it's success maybe more than any of there products. You have Sinar, Phase , Hassy and leaf out there already knocking prices down to drive business and revenue.

if I sound a little critical than your right this is expensive and the move up in this area is not to be taken lightly by any means. if Leica wants to get into this area. My points are something that should be heard loudly there not just coming from me but the MF market and shooters. If they deliver the speed and the quality of product. Than it should be a success in many ways.

I am still waiting like many for more details but so far i think this is a great thing for Leica be it you need it or not the technology of the S will lead to a trickle down effect to other Leica systems.

etrigan63

Guy, I echo your analysis. Leica has taken what they very good at and applied it to a market that desperately needs their design capabilities. Your Phase One is built like a tank and weighs like one too (I fondled it at the Open House). With Phase doing the support (and keeping it to Phase standards, not Leica's) and Leica doing the designs. All we need to see is if the speed and high ISO is there. Price'em right and they will never make enough of them.

BTW, my wife says you need to update your avatar.

robmac

Guy - well said.

It's a smart way for Leica to leverage it's small size and get an instantly improved S&S structure for THE market in which it is so critical - that is assuming Phase handles all aspects of S&S as if the S2 were a Phase P__ and is not just distribution. There are a lot of blanks, technical and otherwise that need to be filled in -- and the sooner the better to keep (and wet) wet appetites among the pro community.

While I'm not certainly not predicting it, I wouldn't be surprised to wake up one day and read that Phase decided to turn one (or both at some juncture) of its alliances into outright acquisitions. Alliances are nice, total control makes the decision making process a LOT easier.

Interesting times.

Edit - some contradictory info on the blog re:distribution (Phase and Leica), just how involved Phase was in tech development (not much), etc. Usual confusion between press releases and what people say over cocktails. Looks like some things may need to be cleared up.

Last edited:

PeterA

Well aparently this stuff will be ready for 'your' next summer...ahem thats a year away?..so plenty of time for people to save up..I would another 6 months to that date before most can buy - so we are talking 11/2 years away hmmm???

P

pascal_meheut

Did you notice how the S site looks like the Phase One one?

I wonder how far their partnership will go?

N

nei1

This is way out of my needs and finances but what sort of price do you think it will go for,who knows,Ive time to win the lottery.

dfarkas

Workshop Member
Edit - some contradictory info on the blog re:distribution (Phase and Leica), just how involved Phase was in tech development (not much), etc. Usual confusion between press releases and what people say over cocktails. Looks like some things may need to be cleared up.
I spent about an hour talking one-on-one with Maike Harberts, the S2's product manager. This wasn't just idle cocktail hour chit-chat, or mere sales talk. Phase wasn't involved in the design of the S2.

I'm heading over to the show now and will actually get hands-on with the new camera. I'll give my feedback later.

David