The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

If Leica goes liveview..

V

Vivek

Rumors are surfacing that Leica might incorporate liveview/mirrorless technology in about a year.

The easy way is, as they do with their rebadged Lumix P&S cams, rebadge the Panasonic m4/3rds cams and sell them for a lot more.

If by any chance they bring out something like the Ricoh GXR, complete with an EVF and all that and heavens forbid there is a full frame model of similar type, what would happen?

jonoslack

Hi Vivek
They've said pretty clearly that their new mirror less camera will be at least APS/c - which kind of rules out the Panasonic route - why would heaven forbid a full frame solution?

V

Vivek

Hi Jono,

Why?

The answer is simple. I would like one. Particularly, I would like to see how my "Made in Japan" Wetzlar 75-200 f/4.5 would do on that. ;)

It is possible that Pentax/Ricoh may be the first ones to do that.

We already have FF DSLRs capable of doing liveview as well. Before the NEX came out, I was actually thinking (seriously) of buying either a Pentax K7 or an A580 and get rid of the mirror box to use as a liveview only cam.

jonoslack

why would heaven forbid a full frame solution?
Hi Jono,

Why?

The answer is simple. I would like one. Particularly, I would like to see how my "Made in Japan" Wetzlar 75-200 f/4.5 would do on that. ;)
Hmmm do you have a disagreement with heaven Vivek? :eek::)

Well it seems to me that Leica already have a FF mirrorless camera. Marc (photographz) reckons the M10 will have a CMOS sensor and liveview. Would that do you? (I think it might do me).

All the best

V

Vivek

I do not have any problems with heavens/hells/purgatories, Jono.

It is the thought the Leica already have a FF mirrorless camera might prevent the above mentioned states from actually going mirrorless with true liveview (electronic, i might add).;)

Godfrey

If a response to that part is missing..

I am not sure if it would do me. I would like to see a FF liveview cam with an EVF, yes.
I'm certain a TTL electronic camera with a full frame sensor will happen soon, but if it is the rumored "M10", I'm glad I got the M9. While I think TTL electronic is the way of the future, I wanted a rangefinder digital camera as close to my M4-2 as possible. That's the M9.

(The M9 is not mirrorless as it uses a mirrored prism in the rangefinder. It's just a different take on mirrorless... ;-)

monza

I'm having a difficult time with this rumor.

If indeed they offer an APS-C, what are they going to do for lenses? They can't build lenses quick enough as it is...so does this mean they provide some designs to Panasonic for example?

Their current M lens line wouldn't make sense for a lower priced interchangeable with APS-C....what's the point of a $5K 35 lux on say a $2k body, to get a 50/1.4 equivalent?? :)

Godfrey

If indeed they offer an APS-C, what are they going to do for lenses? They can't build lenses quick enough as it is...so does this mean they provide some designs to Panasonic for example?

Their current M lens line wouldn't make sense for a lower priced interchangeable with APS-C....what's the point of a $5K 35 lux on say a $2k body, to get a 50/1.4 equivalent??
Well, I dunno 'bout anybody else, but I would be delighted to use a $5K Summilux-M 50 with my $720 M4-2 body. ;-)

jonoslack

Their current M lens line wouldn't make sense for a lower priced interchangeable with APS-C....what's the point of a $5K 35 lux on say a $2k body, to get a 50/1.4 equivalent?? :)
HI Robert
I quite agree with you on this one . . except that it's not a rumour - at least, it was part of an interview at the British Journal of Photography, and elsewhere - I can't remember the exact details, but the gist of it was that there would be some kind of interchangeable lens camera with a sensor size of at lest APS-c.

I'm also with you over the issues - is it new AF lenses? in which case are Leica going to make them? Panasonic only do 4/3, so presumably not them. I think we live in interesting times at least!

thrice

I would imagine the new M10 sensor will incorporate live view.

I'm #1 on my dealer's waiting list already :p

V

Vivek

May be they will slash the prices of the lenses by 50% ? That would be good thing.:)

Live View on an M10 would result in me switching almost completely over to my M system for my landscape work (I say almost because Leica currently does make a tilt shift lens). That will be most awesome.

weinschela

Subscriber Member
I'm on the list for a M10 also, even though I don't know what will be in it. This is not as crazy as you think because if the camera does not suit me, I will just give up my place. I am hoping for a combination rangefinder/EVF like Fuji's but implemeted Leica's way, and better high ISO would be nice (and not so hard if it is CMOS). But I am also not going to get rid of my M9 so fast. If there were no M10, I would be just fine with M9. But after putting some Leica glass on a Sony Nex-7, I now understand what all the fuss is about EVFs and I would love to see how Leica implements it.

KeithL

Sheesh, here I am trying to decide if I should buy a Leica M9 when along comes all these rumours of the M10 and liveview.

I'd value the option to actually be able to confirm focus in the field and I get the feeling I'm not alone. But what do I do, buy the M9 now and take a huge hit a while down the line, forget the whole idea and look elsewhere, or wait?

Yes, I know, only I can answer the above. Hey, go easy on me, this is my first post here.