The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Steve Huff tests SLR Magics 50/0.95

V

Vivek

They really need to change their name from "SLR Magic" while attempting sell lenses to mirrorless camera and RF users.

Agnius

I started using M mount glass with Ricoh GXR-M just because it was more compact and lighter than my Canon 1Dsm3 rig. Now how much does this "magic" lens weight? 'Nuff said.

SYGTAFOTO

...but it's getting too close. And how much of the framing can you see?
It's pointless to debate on other factors such as framing.. I was speaking strictly in terms of weight.
As Agnius also mentioned "compact", it is still more compact than most Canon L lenses as well.
Only thing I want to know now is the price... It seems to be an awesome lens comparable to the Noctilux. My decision would be "Should I get 50 lux asph or this... I imagine the prices will be close.

A couple of minor things on the SLR magic lens... I wish they get rid of the green ring. I wish they designed the lens to fit 60mm filters instead of 62mm...

Agnius

Just for comparison -

Weight: Leica M9P = 585g
SLR Magic .95 lens = 975g
Total: 1560g

Canon 1Dsm3 is 1205g + 180g (battery) + 545g for 50mm f1.2
Total 1930g

So yeah, Leica "solution" is lighter, but from ergonomic point of view I would take Canon.

I am glad to see another company that has balls to produce products to challenge the dominance of other companies. I don't know how much innovation - most of modern Chinese goods I have seen are either based on western designs ("Designed in California, made in China", etc.) or copies of them. I presume it is a copy, so let's see how good of a copy it is.

One thing for sure is I will not be buying one - I have no reason to.

SYGTAFOTO

If weight is of concern, there is always the f/1.4 route if you don't need f/0.95-f/1.4. Ergonomic is debatable. Some like Leica for its simplicity.

I like the 0.7m MFD and round aperture blades.

One thing I want to know is the focus ring travel (longer/shorter than Noctilux).

V

Vivek

Bokeh at edges is somewhat disturbing/unpleasant on some of the sample pics.
I am unsure if this one (apparently the Noktor tweaked a bit) and lenses like the Schneider 50/0.95 actually cover the whole 35mm frame. They might illuminate it (albeit poorly with vignetting). There is likely a strong field curvature as well.

As much as some may mock at this idea, I would like to see a "brick wall" test and a few comparisons instead of showing swirly bokeh from a $6,000 camera. It is very easy to get such images on an m4/3rds cam and cheap, readily available c-mount lenses.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Very interesting lens and the bokeh seems to be much nicer than on the Voigtländer 50/1.1. Will probably be an excellent portrait lens for m4/3, NEX or Ricoh as well. I fear the price will be high though...

weinschela

Subscriber Member
Huff says it will not be cheap. It will be interesting to see whether they can sell enough to make their investment back. Nokton has a brand reputation and track record. These guys do not, but they seem to be serious.

Chris C

Steve Huff tests SLR Magics 50/0.95
No he hasn't. No he doesn't. No he won't. At best, his 'Real World' 'Reviews' are severely limited appraisals to be very wary of.

..... how much does this "magic" lens weight? 'Nuff said.
Large, and substantially heavier than Noctilux, three times heavier than a Summilux. I'm not the target for this lens, but I wouldn't expect to get a one-[ish] stop hand-holdability advantage with the 'SLR' at three times the weight of the [substantial enough] Summilux, and giving worse depth of field at wide open.

I wish them well though.

............ Chris

PeterA

A Nocti is worth 1 and a half Leica S2 lenses ...quite a large premium and I am sure worth it, - I miss not having a Nocti - maybe this is the lens I can justify owning... I reckon they could sell as many as they make at sub 2K pricing.

ohnri

My Noct f/1 is my most used lens.

I am looking forward to trying out this one from SLR Magic.

Best,

Bill

Brian S

12 elements in 7 groups. That is a record for a 50mm lens. The Canon 50/0.95 of 1961 used 7 elements in 5 groups, the Nikkor-N 5cm F1.1 lens used 9 elements 7 groups. The 50/1.1 Nokton is 7 elements in 5 groups, as is the Noctilux.

Agnius

12 elements in 7 groups. That is a record for a 50mm lens. The Canon 50/0.95 of 1961 used 7 elements in 5 groups, the Nikkor-N 5cm F1.1 lens used 9 elements 7 groups. The 50/1.1 Nokton is 7 elements in 5 groups, as is the Noctilux.
Seems like SLR Magic is going Zeiss route - more elements for more corrections. Leica has been trying to do more with less, which I find somehow more pleasing. I do like Zeiss 21mm lens though.