The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Winter conditions- filters?

R

roubaix

Looking at the snow in recent posts got me thinking, and jealous..., are there any filters, polarizing etc., that might be useful in these conditions? Or can all this stuff be corrected post processing now that everything is "raw?" Even if things can be corrected, is it better pre or post?

Rank beginner,

Thanks,

Peter

P.S. My M8 has been out for repair for 8 weeks, coming next week...now I see why you guys have two bodies.

jaapv

Subscriber Member
Looking at the snow in recent posts got me thinking, and jealous..., are there any filters, polarizing etc., that might be useful in these conditions? Or can all this stuff be corrected post processing now that everything is "raw?" Even if things can be corrected, is it better pre or post?

Rank beginner,

Thanks,

Peter

P.S. My M8 has been out for repair for 8 weeks, coming next week...now I see why you guys have two bodies.

About the only filter you cannot simulate (apart from specializd stuff like IR or UV) is the polarizer. It works very dramatically on sunlit snow.

But you can do fine without it...

And it can be overdone:

Last edited:
R

roubaix

That's a great series of shots Jaap. Can you recommend a polarizer for the M8?

Peter

jaapv

Subscriber Member
Yes Maggie. The point is, that IR light is not polarized. when you use a polarizer, you lose 2 to 3 stops in visible light, BUT NOT IN IR, which means that relatively the IR contamination is doubled to tripled.
So the stacking of a polarizer with an IR cut filter is mandatory on the M8. Fortunately one uses a polarizer at 90m degrees off the direction of the light, so the negatives of stacking filters are minimized.

jaapv

Subscriber Member
Interesting. I wonder what B&W would look like with just the polarizer.
Difficult to predict, I would think. It depends on the relationship between polarized light and IR light in any given area of the image.
Btw IR cut filters are interference filters, which means that they may influence the polarisation of the light. So one must put a polfilter in front of the IR filter and use a circular one.

Lisa

Sorry to be off topic, but, jaapv, can you tell me where your three mountain photos were taken? Just curious...

Thanks
Lisa

jaapv

Subscriber Member
Italy, the Dolomites, Alta Badia. I've got hundreds of them, I go there for a few weeks every year, and those are the most beautiful mountains in the world. :thumbs:These three are not really the best for showing the mountains off, I chose them for Polfilters.
I see by your website you are into mountains. You missed out on these!

Last edited:

Lisa

Italy, the Dolomites, Alta Badia. I've got hundreds of them, I go there for a few weeks every year, and those are the most beautiful mountains in the world. These three are not really the best for showing the mountains off, I chose them for Polfilters.
I see by your website you are into mountains. You missed out on these!
I *thought* those could have been the Dolomites! That's on my list of places to go in the next year or two. I have a few questions about visiting them, and will send you a private message later today if you have the time to answer it.

Thanks,
Lisa

woodyspedden

Here is a shot taken from my backyard with the M8 and my rapidly becoming most favorite lens, the 75 Lux. Not the sharpest tool in the shed but love the drawing style. No filter was used. Shot at 4800K and trimmed in Lightroom 1.3.1.

Enjoy

Woody

woodyspedden

Hey Guy, Jack or anyone

I am still having problems posting my images. All of them turn into far more saturated versions of what I have before resizing, and converting to SRGB. Any ideas as to why this might happen? It looks more saturated but when I look side by side at the image opened in PS CS3 I would now say the issue is as much or more an increase in contrast. By the way the image I am now looking at in PS is the same Srgb Jpeg that I attached to this message. This really bugs me. I have looked at the image both in Safari and in Firefox and they both show the same way.

Thanks for any help

Woody

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Woody is that 900 pixels wide or wider. The software will downsize to 900 so if your larger it gets funky looking

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Woody,
Are you using Photoshop?
Is the initial color space in one of Joe Holms special spaces or a higher sat version of ProPhoto RGB?
thanks
-bob

woodyspedden

Thanks guys for replying

I have sized it for 940 pixels max dimension. The original was in ProPhoto RGB with an assignment from Joe Holmes to ProPhoto 25. Then the image was converted to Srgb and Jpeg for inclusion on the web.

Woody

woodyspedden

O.K.

I am trying again with an image at 900 Px max dimension. Hopefully with the image converted to SRGB earlier I will have better results. I guess that I am fundamentally a printer and don't understand the web very well at all. Let's see

By the way this is looking out over golf hole number 14, across a horse breeding ranch to the foothills of the Rockies. Temp is about 15 degrees at this time of morning (6:30 A.M.) and the sun is way off to the East at the right hand side of the frame. God it is nice to be up at this time of day. God must love us Photogs who are willing to get up and live with his morning light.

Best

Woody