The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Why Buy Leica?

Double Negative

Not Available
^ LOL! You should've seen ME in the 80's! :p

When I look into my crystal ball I see the M10 remaining true to the M rangefinder concept which would serve to keep the M devotees and purists on side. Perhaps the more radical approach will be left to a new mirrorless body at a mainstream price?

There again I also see my hair restored to the levels of luxuriance of my teens.
Basically, yeah... That's what I'm thinking too.

J

JohnW

...With the print in mind, what do I want that gives me the feeling that I am getting the best output? To me that is the Leica lens. Without a doubt, when I see the print, I am amazed every single time. There is a vision that I just don't get with any other brand. Leica is without peer. I have used them all. Canon L, Nikon's best, Olympus, Sony and Zeiss. I have not used medium ....Frank
I don't know, Frank. I see the difference on-screen but not in prints. I just sold my M9, mainly for financial reasons. But before doing so, I did some print comparisons between my M9 / 40 Summicron and GX1 / 20 1.7.

At the size I print (12 x 16") on my R2400, I can't see any Leica advantage and neither could anyone else I showed the prints to. Big prints, sure. But I think lens and sensor technology has reached a point where excellence is the norm. Many points make a Leica DRF compelling, but superior normal-sized prints doesn't seem one of them to me.

John

Hosermage

Hanging around this forum has given me major GAS ;-) It has always been hard to justify the cost for a M9 when there is long list of things we want to do around the house first. However, I've just made an agreement with the wife that for our 10 year anniversary (in 2 years), she can pick herself a diamond ring, and I'll pick myself a M9 (hopefully M10?!) I don't mind waiting and working hard to save for what I want, and I hope when I do get it, it will be everything I'm dreaming of, and more!

See ya in 2 years! ;-)

rayyan

I would suggest that there is no such thing as a ' luxury ' item. Leica or

anything else. It is all relative.

I never owned an M9 for more than 1 day. Best investments I made.

There is always someone who is prepared to pay a higher price.

Photographs...that is a hobby. Buy and sell Leica..that is business.

Did I tell you I love Leica.

Make money or take photographs..equally valid reasons to buy Leica.