The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Don't Whine about White Balance

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
OK,
How should the poor camera brain deal with the white balance of this shot? :eek:

-bob

D

Digital Dude

Provided this shot is without adjustments then I would say it’s nearly perfect! What lens and setting was used?
Regards,:thumbs:

jaapv

Subscriber Member
Well, if we see what the big screen on the right made of WB, it seems to be pretty good.

jonoslack

Hi Bob

You make an excellent point (at least, I think you're making a point!).

No such thing as correct white balance . . . .

Not in this shot anyway - in fact, not in any shot which has mixed shadows and direct light, mixed lighting sources . . . . which means almost everything.

Properly functioning white balance changes lovely evening light into boring mid-day light etc. etc.

The problem is not the camera - it's the human eye/brain - it's capable of setting different white balance for different parts of the scene - something no camera I know of can manage!

There are so many people who seem to think that there is a 'right' and a 'wrong' white balance - in most circumstances its what suits the scene and the viewer's brain.

pthompson

When it comes to color temperature, some situations are basically impossible to sort out; this looks to be one of them. Did you shoot this with AWB, or on one of the camera's WB settings? Any post-processing adjustments? This does look too warm on my screen...

When it comes to white balance, any situation seriously challenges the M8 'brain'...:D

Maggie O

Considering how well the M8 plays with DNGs, I'm amazed that anyone even worries about WB. I manually set WB, mostly out of habit, but C1's dropper tool in now my best friend, as it is brilliant when it comes to fine-tuned color balances.

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Jono et. al.,
Yes, the scene is a mix of several kinds of white balance. I think that many of he screens in the room were set too cold, so that to get an acceptable result (to the client) I had to warm it up past the point that the color on the woman's shirt went quite off from what I remembered.
I have several shots in this series taken under the same lighting conditions, but with different material displayed on the monitors and screens around the room. The M8 couldn't really pin down a "single" color temp.
It turns out that sampling neutrals in the image was useless as well, since the neutrals were illuminated by light sources of varying temperatures. Indeed the room is lit over-all with "studio fluorescents". I don't think that is possible that these were the 5000k type, so probably more like 3600k or so.
The stage was lit with 3200k tungsten.
As shot was 3900+12 best balance for the stage is indeed 3200, compromise "fluorescent" for me is 3800+21; Client liked best 5000+10 to white balance for the large plasma display.
Anyway I think the the M8's little brain did just fine, considering that it doesn't have a connection to the customer's preferences.

M8 dng AWB 640iso 1/125 28mm chron f/don't remember, probably 4-5.6

-bob

p.s.
I think that professionals who set up lights and displays like this deserve b&w results:p

pthompson

As shot was 3900+12 best balance for the stage is indeed 3200, compromise "fluorescent" for me is 3800+21; Client liked best 5000+10 to white balance for the large plasma display.
Anyway I think the the M8's little brain did just fine, considering that it doesn't have a connection to the customer's preferences.
Bob - using AWB with the M8 is pretty pointless; much better to select a setting, or do a custom setting. Of course, you can correct almost anything in a RAW conversion, so the issue is pretty academic. I couldn't tell from your post if you are aware that 3900+12 is the coolest of only three options that the M8 AWB will give you, the other two being 5900+9 and 7400+8...and the same camera settings and lighting conditions might give you several of these choices if you take more than one shot. Sort of like a blind man shooting a gun - some outcomes are better than others...:D

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Fundamentally I don't care.
Most of the time AWB is as good a raw starting point as any other (it is just metadata, after all).
I could set everything at tungsten for that matter. Even what I thought was more natural for correct emphasis on the woman on the stage didn't matter to the owner of the plasma screen. No WB sensor cum logic will ever work that out.
Almost everything I shoot needs a tweak here or there so why not start at whatever comes up?
-bob

jonoslack

HI Maggie
Excellent shot, but whether it's 'wrong' is debatable - it looks about right for the shafts of sunlight!