The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

.95 wide open and curvature of field

gooomz

when shooting the .95 wide open are they any curvature of field issues i should take into consideration when trying to achieve ideal focus?

tks.

neelin

If you're shooting with a p/s size digi-sensor, prob. not. If you're shooting with a 35mm sensor/film at 1.5m f/0.95 you have about the central 50% of the screen within a "defined" acceptable Circle of Confusion for that format.

Check out the free software program called Barnack to play with the variables while "Show Recomposition Focus Circle" is checked off.

Barnack

I think that will show you what you're after.
I think there are significant other variables in play, but they may only be in play for special purpose lenses, i.e. designed for copying documents that are flat, etc.

Perhaps others that know more about this than me can comment. I have a Canon 50mm f/0.95 & if I do a portrait, always focus VERY centrally and don't recompose (i.e. turn the lens to shift subject to one side or other of frame). I just crop. I find I get WAY more success doing things that way with this finicky focus lens.

Robert

gooomz

have you tried moving back a bit after recomposing to compensate or with the canon .95 you just have learned not to recompose?

(too hard to recompose with so shallow depth of field)

cheers

gooomz

sorry, still not quite sure.

does the .95 have a curvature of field wide open that i need to compensate for while focusing especially when my main subject is on the left or right of my frame or is it something i needed be concerned with?

cheers.