The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sell my 50 Summarit 2.5?

Moonshine

I have my Summarit up for sale here and wanted to get a Summicron 50 instead..do i get a lot more with that lens or should i just stay with the summarit? No one really seems to want to buy it and before i put it up on ebay just needed some advice if its really worth it to upgrade to a 50 summicron? i feel as if the Summarit is not sharp enough...am i wrong?

SYGTAFOTO

I've had the summarit for a short period of time and I never found it to be "not sharp enough". Do you have an example that you can post that demonstrate this?

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
I am interested in seeing this too (I don't have any Leica lenses for my GXR kit, and am thinking about this).

wjlapier

Check Guy's review in the lens review forum above. I haven't used the Summarit, but I can say the 50 cron is one sharp lens, even wide open. i've used all but collapsible version and all are sharp.

DaveS

I have both the 50 Summarit and latest 50 Summicron, and find them both really great. I have been using the Summarit more lately because it is slightly smaller and fits nicely in my smallest waist pouch using a M9. So it is a nice small stealth package, and easy to carry.

I get occasional moire on small distant buildings etc with it, which I think means it is resolving exceptional well, even at large apertures. But aside from occasional moire, I have been really happy with the sharpness overall. Also with my recent M9 calibration at Leica New Jersey, the focus is bang on. I also find the 1/2 F stop less not much of an issue indoors, unless it is really dark. You are basically talking about 1/45 vs 1/60 of a second type ratio wide open depending on avail light and ISO.

Irwin Puts has a good article on the entire summarit line on his Leica Lens web page, which indicates the Summarit MTF chart at 2.5 is in between the Summicrons 2.0 and 2.8 MTF charts. Which essentially means he feels they are the same, but without the F2.0.

Lastly, in lightroom I find all Leica M9 shots can sharpen a bit with fantastic results. Even their ASph and APO lenses.

Anyway, I am very happy with mine.

All the best in your decision.

Dave

Godfrey

I think the vogue is that everyone must have the fastest ultra fast glass around. I find that the slightly slower lenses are often a better pick. The Summarit 50/2.5 seems a very nice lens ... I've never heard anyone say it was a poor performer.

I'm using the CV Color-Skopar 50/2.5 LTM with adapter and find it a fantastic performer, and small/light/relatively inexpensive. It's already made some stunning photos for me with the M9.

Nettar

Moonshine, I only have the cron, not the summarit, but while it is one of my two favourite M lenses (the other is an 18mm), it is not perfect. For example, it has some LoCA wide open, and traces of same even at 2.8. And according to the MTF chart, the summarit will have a little less smearing in the corners than the cron at 5.6, and probably also at some larger apertures. So, nothing is perfect. Perhaps it's a case of "the other man's grass is always greener..." Nettar

Paratom

I dont have the 50 Summarit but 35 and 75 Summarit (plus quite a few other M lenses) and in case of the 35 and 75 I can honestly say one doesnt miss anything,e ven wide open. Sharp, good contrast and flare resistense , nice bokeh, in a smll size for a good price.
Color rendering is maybe slightly colder and less vibrant than Summilux asph lenses.
I even consdier to get a 50 Summarit in addition to my 50/1.4sph as a compact combo for daylight shooting.

Maybe you focus is off? Did you test that?

Jerry_R

I dont have the 50 Summarit but 35 and 75 Summarit [...] I even consdier to get a 50 Summarit in addition to my 50/1.4sph as a compact combo for daylight shooting.

Maybe you focus is off? Did you test that?
As I said earlier - when someone says Summarit is not sharp, two things should be checked:
- calibration with camera body
- focus shift

Sort of LensAllign is a must for everybody having issues, questions with focusing, sharpness - BEFORE any conclusions are made:
LensAlign

Summarits 35, 75, 90 - are the ones I can really recommend, I did not observe any focus shift.

Summarit 50 - if you use it at f/2.5 or close to f/8 or make photographs from further distance - than fine.
If you expect sharp results in the middle - you may find focus shifted, what me and other people too observed.
Of course the closer to the subject you are the more you can observe that.

PS:
be aware of longer minimum focusing distance when thinking of Summarits too (35, 50, 75).

Moonshine

it seems like i may have to send in the lens and m9 for calibration...
please tell me where do i send it, how long does it typically take and how much does it cost? also do i have to send my 2 other lenses with this or is that not necessary?
so many questions! thank you in advance

Godfrey

it seems like i may have to send in the lens and m9 for calibration...
please tell me where do i send it, how long does it typically take and how much does it cost? also do i have to send my 2 other lenses with this or is that not necessary?
so many questions! thank you in advance
This sounds like it should be a call to your local Leica distributor's service. Are you in the USA?

For the USA, they are in New Jersey:

Leica Camera AG - Contact

Leica Technical and Service Helpline
If you require technical assistance about your Leica product or it requires servicing, repair or spare parts, please contact our professional team who will ensure you get best advice. In addition, where necessary, they will ensure that your Leica product will undergo professional servicing or repair with original Leica spare parts.

Address:
Leica Camera Inc.
1 Pearl Ct, Unit A
Allendale, New Jersey 07401
Contact person:
Sarah Mayville & Carmen Vargas
Phone:
800-222-0118 x 19930
Fax:
201-995-1686
E-mail:
[email protected]

Tim Gray

I've seriously thought about buying your Summarit. But I really can't justify it owning a 50 Summilux ASPH. The fact of the matter is that I don't shoot 50 that much and often reach for my 28 when in low light, so the Summarit would probably be just fine 99% of the time for me. And it's tiny!

Godfrey

I have had several clients send M9s to DAG. He's cheaper and faster than Leica USA.
Don is great. Faster ... sometimes yes, sometimes no. But if the camera is on warranty, it's likely better to have the distributor take care of it rather than going to an independent repair shop.

Sherry Krauter is another good independent. And for viewfinder/rangefinder collimation, my local guy (Fred Mueller of International Camera Technicians in Mountain View) is another good service provider.

monza

Don has adjusted M9s and lenses for focus accuracy within 2-3 days for me. Plus, he's really the only independent with the proper equipment to do that job...

Jerry_R

I really would like to encourage the owner to make his own test before sending for calibration. Even with a ruler self made.

At least you would be more precise what problem you have and be able to verify what they did when you receive it back (because you would be able to compare results before and after).

Many people had to send camera, lenses for calibration few times.
If what you observe is focus shift - then sending for calibration is waste of time.

PS:
earlier - you had to send your camera and lens to Solms, DE (of course via your Leica dealer, not directly).

Now, they calibrate them separatly according to their pattern, norms.
But as you are in States, call DAG and check.

Godfrey

Don has adjusted M9s and lenses for focus accuracy within 2-3 days for me. Plus, he's really the only independent with the proper equipment to do that job...
Um, that might be because you are a dealer. Don does wonderful work, but sometimes his backup runs into months.

I don't think he's "the only independent with the proper equipment", however. The M has been around a very long time and there are many good independent technicians ... I certainly don't know all of them, I doubt any individual does.

Moonshine

how do you post a pic here? i'm trying to post one from iPhoto or aperture....maybe the pics are sharp enough and so i wanted an opinion..thx