The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leica-M 90mm pre-asph stiff focusing ring

magosak

I recently bought a Leica-M 90mm Summicron pre-asph lens which appears to have seen very little use - if any. Compared to my other two lenses (50mm and 28mm Summicrons which are recent productions) the focusing ring on 90mm is too stiff.

Is this normal? Should I expect it to loosen up in time or will it require service to be re-lubricated?

250swb

The stiffness of the focusing ring does tend to vary with each lens type. The longer lenses are stiffer than the 50mm lenses for instance, and a 50mm Summilux is stiffer than a 50mm Summicron.

Steve

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
While lens do loosen up with use , lubricants do tend to dry out over time . There are also some differences between copies of the same lens . On a 90 summicron the focus needs to be smooth with no flat spots or places where the lens seems to grab. The stiffness can be adjusted . I would use DAG for this type of work . Costs have typically been less the $100 and if you want he will calibrate and even have the mount ground for 6 bit coding for a little more.

iiiNelson

I have the same lens and yes it's a little stiff compared to the 24, 35, and 50mm lenses I have. It loosens up some but it's more important that it turns smoothly IMO.

magosak

Thanks for all your input. Focusing ring turns smoothly with no flat spots.

I'll use it for a while to see if it improves. If not, I'll send it to DAG, although I read that waiting time might be long.

Armanius

I also have the 90 Cron pre-asph. The focus ring is stiff too, compared to all other M lenses I have/had.