The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Aftermath

woodyspedden

I just picked up a photobook titled "Aftermath" by a retired New York City policeman named John Botte.

The book consists of 135 self printed black and white images of the brief period following 9/11.

To me the most outstanding attribute of the work is the ability to convey the dramatic emotions of the first few days following the devastation. Included in the essay are photos of a place called the Staten Island "New Kill Landfill" which I had never heard of or seen journalized. There are many images of Emergency Unit personnel, wearing air filtration masks, combing through the newly dumped debris looking for anything that would provide links to those that were in the building at the time of the attacks.

All in all, I think this is an important book by a wonderful photographer who picked a subject both difficult and compelling.

Highly recommended

Woody

Bigfeet

Thanks for the information on the book. I only wish I would have had a still camera with me while I was there as well.

As for the landfill, it is actually called the Fresh Kills Landfill. It was not a pretty place to be at during the time the debris were being brought there.

Bigfeet

johnastovall

Deceased, but remembered fondly here...
Woody,

I just got my copy and it takes one's breath away. It also shows how it's very hard to beat a Leica with Tri-X and darkroom prints to give you the gritty feeling of lost.

The last time I found a photo book moving me like this was David Douglas Duncan's "War Without Heroes."

Woody is right. It's an important book and needs to be seen by as many as possible.

woodyspedden

thanks John

Hope a few more folks will be stimulated to do a photo tour of one of the world's most awful events interspersed with images of heroic people doing heroic things.

This is a must read for both photographers and the rest of us humans

Woody