The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Any Zeis 85/2.0 ZM users here?

Paratom

Today I received my 85mm Sonnar and we went for a late afternoon walk.
So here are some first images I took with it.
My first impression is very good.

Paratom

Congrats on the new lens, Tom. It's a dandy! Great first caps
Thanks Ashwin,
yesterday I shot some quick images with the 85/2.0, the 90 Elmarit and the 75 Summarit. The 85 compared very well in those and seemed to show slighty more contrast/detail and 3d rendering even at f2.8 than the other 2 lenses.
SO far it exceeds my expectations. I am also lucky that the focus of this sample on my M9 seems spot on.
Tom

richardman

4 people made guesses and all 4 nailed the first image as the 'Lux. The 85/2 is definitely sharper, and BTW, from what I understand, it's not a true Sonnar design, despite the name. They definitely have different characteristics.

Andrew Gough

I have one, and I have found out a little trick to this lens. If you are shooting high contrast situations, then under expose by one stop and viola no purple CA. I have found that small amounts of under exposure really affect this lens's output on digital sensors, it is almost like it is overwhelming the sensor in the blue channel. This would explain why it performs so well in subdued light.

Andrew

Paratom

I have one, and I have found out a little trick to this lens. If you are shooting high contrast situations, then under expose by one stop and viola no purple CA. I have found that small amounts of under exposure really affect this lens's output on digital sensors, it is almost like it is overwhelming the sensor in the blue channel. This would explain why it performs so well in subdued light.

Andrew
Thanks Andrew,
Thanks for sharing. I will check this out.
I am not too concerned about the CA, because I think it makes a difference if you search for it in 100% views regarding how much is really showing up in the images at viewing /printing size.
Adn then the question is also how often do you shoot scenes where it would show up.
Tom

Paratom

nice shots Tom, great modern look. However, I much prefer the softness of the 75 lux :).
Hi Araakii.
I dont know if I would call the look "modern", but it is definatly different from the 75 Lux.
Personally I sold my 75 Lux some years ago because I prefered the 75 Summarit and the 90 Elmarit, mainly because I found the 75 Lux difficult to focus (even though I sent it to Leica twice) plus if I hit the focus I couldnt see any magic over the other mentioned lenses besides the Lux showed less contrast at wider apartures.
The 90 Elmarit has been my choice most of the times after that as "portrait"-focal length.

I however fully understand that many rate the 75 Summilux as one of the best/characterfull if not the portrait lens.

D&A

Hi Tom,

It's interesting to look at your latest series of images with the Zeiss, besides being lovely shots! Simply from the look, they appear to resemble those taken with the 90mm elmarit-M whereby they are sharp, not excessively clinical but do have a sort of modern look to my eye. In contrast (no pun intended), the 75mm Lux has a completely different look, even when slightly stopped down, where it's renders detail exceedingly well but without a lot of bite, more rounded) and slightly lower in contrast. It's gentle in its rendering and that is what makes it stand out for portraits (besides its characteristic bokeh). So each are excellent lenses and can be used in a fashion that plays to its strengths.

In reference to what Tom mentioned about getting accurate focus with the 75mm Lux, quite a few have had similar difficulties with theirs. I was also afraid I might be in the same boat but luckily the NOS one I found was perfect, both at min, mid and infinity distances, so its been no more difficult to nail focus that the 50mm Lux asph.

The Zeiss looks like a terrific lens and I would assume with more comparitive pics from it, the 90mm AA and 90mm elmarit-M, a distinctive characteristics of the Zeiss will be noticed compared to the other two. Thanks to all posting images with it (the Zeiss).

Dave (D&A)

Last edited:

Paratom

Something I did find out about both the 50/1.5 ZM and the 85/2.0ZM is that they seem to bringt out the midtones slightly brighter than comparable Leica lenses. It is a little bit like a built in midtone-boost.

edwardkaraa

If so, can you post some pics from this lens and thoughts how you like it?
Thanks a lot, Tom
Hi Tom,

Congratulations for your new lens. Just for the benefit of all interested, I am a bit puzzled by Zeiss attitude, as they seem to reply to inquiries negatively. However, they are still taking orders for the Sonnar from their dealers. Back in October, my Zeiss supplier told me it was still possible to order but there was a waiting list of 1 year, so I bought the tele-Tessar instead. In response to my second inquiry yesterday, my supplier said the waiting list is 9 months and it was possible to get a new piece from Oberkochen by December 2012. Needless to mention that I ordered one as I found out the f/4 max aperture of the tele-Tessar is very limiting for portraits. Just thought this piece of info might be interesting to some.

edwardkaraa

4 people made guesses and all 4 nailed the first image as the 'Lux. The 85/2 is definitely sharper, and BTW, from what I understand, it's not a true Sonnar design, despite the name. They definitely have different characteristics.
The design looks more like a variation on the planar.

Paratom

Hi Tom,

Congratulations for your new lens. Just for the benefit of all interested, I am a bit puzzled by Zeiss attitude, as they seem to reply to inquiries negatively. However, they are still taking orders for the Sonnar from their dealers. Back in October, my Zeiss supplier told me it was still possible to order but there was a waiting list of 1 year, so I bought the tele-Tessar instead. In response to my second inquiry yesterday, my supplier said the waiting list is 9 months and it was possible to get a new piece from Oberkochen by December 2012. Needless to mention that I ordered one as I found out the f/4 max aperture of the tele-Tessar is very limiting for portraits. Just thought this piece of info might be interesting to some.
Hi Edward,
I didnt know they still build them. Wow, 9 months-thats fast compared to Leica ;)

pophoto

Hi Tom,

Would you be able to list your supplier info, I've been wanting one for a long while now :(

SKueh

What color lens do you ALL current have for the Zeiss 85/2.0 ZM? Silver or Black?
All I have seen are black, including my copy.
I happen to have a Zeiss spec sheet of this lens. It states: "Production no. black: 30 82086".

Last edited: