The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Any Zeis 85/2.0 ZM users here?

Alfonso

I have a love / hate relationship with it, love the sharpness, colors, flare control and bokeh in certain circumstances, hate the size, the LoCA and the lack of correct framelines for it, all in all is a great zeiss, but i frequently reach for my 90mm voigtländer (blasphemy! ;) ) only for its size...

Anyway are some with the 85...

ashwinrao1

My Mini-Zeiss ZM 85 mm f/2 Sonnar Review (on the Leica M9)

Got one recently, and it's FANTASTIC!!! It's a versatile lens. IMHO, it's one of the best portrait lenses ever made. In outdoor, high contrast settings, purple fringing can be an issue and is something to be aware of, at least on the M9. It isn't as sharp as the APO-Cron 90 or 75, but it has more forgiving skin rendering insofar as to say that it's focus to OOF gradient is very smooth and well controlled. It's an ideal lens for portraiture, and worthy of its legendary status.

I have only had the lens for 2 months or so, purchased from another forum member here. IT's one of only 2 Zeiss lenses that is manufactured by Zeiss in Germany (the other is the 15 mm f/2.8). The remaining Zeiss lenses are manufactured in Japan by Cosina, who is under contract and uses Zeiss optical formulas to manufacture lenses under the Zeiss brand name. To be honest, I could care less, as I really love the 35 C-Biogon and 50 C-sonnar. It has a Sonnar design, in this case 6 elements in 2 groups:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-...AAAAAAAAk/DJN8uSEVKGI/s1600/linsenschnitt.jpg

The tapered barrel design is unique for RF photography and works well in practice. Frame lines are not obscured. Focussing action, at least on my copy, are smooth, and f/stops are in 1/3 increments, with a nice play. Overall, fit and finish are fantastic for this lens. I am happy that I purchased it, primarily for moments where portraiture of individuals (or closely placed couples) is of importance.

The lens was not made in large quantities, to my understanding, as Zeiss only had them in production from 2008 through 2010 (my understanding is that the lens production was discontinued around 2010), so I can't imagine that there are a ton of this lens floating around. Per report, less than 2000 of these lenses were made, but my suspicion is that it wasn't a big seller, and far less that 2000 actually are available. On Zeiss' own site, it's not listed on their present ZM lens line-up, sadly:

http://lenses.zeiss.com/photo/en_DE/products/ikon/distagont2815zm.html

Prices, on the used market, seem to hover around the new price of $3300. I purchased a used copy from a seller here for around that price, though another seller wanted to sell me his copy, with hood, for $4600! I turned away from that "deal"....the hood, while rare, is available through PopFlash, by special order, and I haven't purchased it. Flare doesn't seem to be a huge issue, though it comes up now and again. Eventually, as RF cameras broaden in appeal with further iterations of the digital M, and with increasing numbers of people throwing M-mount lenses on their M4/3, NEX, and other bodies, this lens may increase in price.

There's something about the OOF focus fall off (the transition from sharp to unsharp) that is very nice. Coatings and the like make this a medium to slightly higher contrast lens, with that nice Zeiss Pop. I am suprised that it was a slow seller, but a price tag easily up there with Leica's equivalent probably drove people away. It's a shame, because this lens stands up quite well on its own.

At some point, I'll review it on Steve Huff's site, once I have enough "test" images, which come to think of it, I do...Steve gets enough hits, that such a review could drive up demand LOL...it certainly did when he reviewed the 90 f/2.8 elmarit...

I have provided a few images below. I have intentionally provided a spectrum of images, taken both indoor and out, of people, landscape, and portraits. Images were taken at a variety of f stops from wide open, at f/2, to f/8 or so:

FYI, most of the model shots are f/4-f/5.6. The landscape/water shots are closer to f/8. Most everything else is wide open or close to it....

Here's a slideshow from the model that I shot the 85 sonnar with:

Search results for jade

And here's a slideshow from the lens in general:

Search results for 85

I hope that helps, Tom....

Last edited:

sirimiri

It certainly has its share of axial chromatic aberration when shooting in contrastive light, wide open. But it's not made so much for that, I feel it's made for more subdued lighting.

Naturally, achieving proper focus at f/2 is rather difficult. The bokeh is a lot more relaxed and languid than the Leica APOs in my opinion, and the color seems slightly cool but always pleasing.

If you're married to rangefinders, then it's one of the best true portrait lenses I know of. When you add the hood, it's a large setup on any M body, and one should seriously think of the suitability of the task, for an optical rangefinding system versus an SLR.

Price-wise it's a different league entirely, but the Voigtlander APO Lanthar 90mm stomps all over it for image crispness and refractory characteristics, and is tiny and easier to focus. With the Sonnar, what's in focus isn't as clinical as any of the APOs, but the slightly-softer subject is gracefully emphasized by its bokeh quality and that's something that the Leica or Cosina offerings don't (cannot) match.

Note the focus is a bit off in this shot. It's mostly placed around (M) logo next to the leaf doors.

Last edited:

Paratom

Thank you Ashwin, Sirimiri and Richard.
Richard-I didnt find the 2 comparison images?
Sirimiri, I like this image very powerfull, a nice smooth but clear bokeh and powerfull colors.
Special Thanks to Ashwin! Great Images. And also thanks for all the info.
The lens seems really to render very nice.
And here I admit that I have won an auction on ebay for this lens and I am waiting to get it soon. You made me confident that I will like it, I am only a bit unsure regarding its size.
So I am glad to get my sample before you post your review and prices go up ;) I didnt know that there were so few samples produced.
I really appreciate all the feedback. Seeing all those great images (and I know images are made by the photographer not the lens) makes me looking forward to put the lens to use. As soon as I have something to present I will post it.
Tom

seakayaker

One thing to keep in mind, and it may not be important, is that the 85/2 is not being manufactured by Zeiss at the present moment.

From a Flickr thread 7 months ago.

Flickr: Discussing 85/2 Sonnar ZM discontinued? in OFFICIAL Carl Zeiss Lenses Group

Dear Keith,

The Sonnar T* 2/85 ZM is no longer available until further notice. The Sonnar T* 2/85 ZM is based on a very complex construction model. Thus the production of this lens requires batches with a certain number of units. Unfortunately there is no sufficient market potential to realize an adequate production size of this exceptional lens. Therefore we have stopped the production until further notice. However, Tele-Tessar T* 4 / 85 ZM is still available.

Kind regards,
Carl Zeiss Lenses Team

Paratom

Here you go directly, although most people seem to pinpoint the correct one with no problems :)

The second looks a little sharper and it looks like it has somewhat brighter midtones. So I guess the first is Summilux and the second Zeiss, but I am not sure.

Paratom

One thing to keep in mind, and it may not be important, is that the 85/2 is not being manufactured by Zeiss at the present moment.

From a Flickr thread 7 months ago.

Flickr: Discussing 85/2 Sonnar ZM discontinued? in OFFICIAL Carl Zeiss Lenses Group

Dear Keith,

The Sonnar T* 2/85 ZM is no longer available until further notice. The Sonnar T* 2/85 ZM is based on a very complex construction model. Thus the production of this lens requires batches with a certain number of units. Unfortunately there is no sufficient market potential to realize an adequate production size of this exceptional lens. Therefore we have stopped the production until further notice. However, Tele-Tessar T* 4 / 85 ZM is still available.

Kind regards,
Carl Zeiss Lenses Team
Dan,
thanks- I knew that and it might be one of the reasons why I bid on this ebay auction- I did not know when I would get another chance to buy one of those in mint condition.
I am really looking forward to explore this lens. I didnt really need it because I also have a 90 Elmarit which is very nice lens but I was interested how different the Sonnar draws. I will then decide if I keep both (probably) or just one of them.

I have been checking out all those m4/3 and Nex and DSLR from Nikon/Canon Pentax but allways get back that the M9 just works best for me ("besides the big Leica" and the "small" Leica).
And the nice thing about the lenses is that you really dont loose much money in case you have/want to sell one.

D&A

Here you go directly, although most people seem to pinpoint the correct one with no problems :)

It's a bit difficult guessing which one is the Sonnar and which the 75mm Lux based on a single pair of images for a variety of images, especially when using fast glass. In addition, if one or both of the lenses wasn't precisely focused accurately or if either image was focused slightly off, with a fast lens wide open, this would effect the look of the image. I'm just playing devils avocate, yet it's fun to try and guess. Hmmm, the bokeh is harder to determine in one of them due to framing of subject but if I had to guess, I'd say the 1st image was the Leica. Reason being is to frame the subject similary, one would have to move in a bit closer with the 75mm and although focal length is a bit shorter, the zone of focus would appear less. In addition, although the Leica is a sharp lens (I use one), at close range it has a lovely roundness for portraits. The Zeiss as I understand it, is sharp even at close range, even when used at wider apertures but at infinity, may be a little soft unless stopped down. So OK, I'm staying with my guess that the Leica image is the 1st one posted :)

Aswin, a great set of images to show what the Zeiss is capable of. Due to your being in your very capable hands, it's sometimes hard to determine how much of the "look" or positive impact a lens makes in an image (charaterristic wise) is due to the lens optical peoperties vs. your excellent post processing skills. Still a lens I would love to try and see how it compares to both a Leica 75mm Lux and 90mm f2 APO.

Dave (D&A)

Last edited: