The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Is this a problem

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
I have had this M8 body for one year and have had zero problems with it. I have shot about 18,000 frames. Today, I made a shot in fairly low light that had a bright light on the edge of the frame. This is what resulted. I saw it right away, and was able to repeat it again. My warranty runs out in March (this was a replacement body). Is this just a fluke, or do I need to contact Leica service?

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Cindy,
This is the famous and incurable green-streak with strong light source at edge of sensor.
It seems to be caused by light leaking past the sensor mask onto the dark reference pixels. The only cure is to frame the picture a little differently to avoid placing the light source there. A little more or a little less makes it go away.
-bob

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Cindy,
This is the famous and incurable green-streak with strong light source at edge of sensor.
It seems to be caused by light leaking past the sensor mask onto the dark reference pixels. The only cure is to frame the picture a little differently to avoid placing the light source there. A little more or a little less makes it go away.
-bob
Bob,
I just couldn't remember if it was a curable problem or not. I have never framed so badly in 18,000 as to cause it, so I guess I don't have to worry about it and I'll make sure my framing is more accurate in the future. Thanks for putting my mind at rest. (I think it is making me a little nervous to know that my warranty is running out--I did have 1 dead body and a second that had so many problems that Leica replaced it.)

irakly

leica promised that it would be fixed in their combined hardware/firmware upgrade, but evidently they could not do it. the hardware upgrade improved high iso substantially and made iso640 noise look very much like film grain, but the bloody green streak remained.

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
I sent my original M8 in for the upgrade. Later, it was one of the first to die of SDS and it was sent to Leica Germany so they could take a look. They gave me a "new" camera which had a whole page of problems. I sent it in for repair and eventually, they sent me another camera instead of making me wait for the lengthy repair. I did not get this one till last September, but it has been perfect till today. I can certainly cope with this if it is just a matter of making sure that no bright light is on the edge of the frame.:p

ecliffordsmith

Hi Cindy,

Wow, that is like a picture from the Omen films.

If you want to be doubly sure you could perhaps email the picture to Leica and let them suggest the best course of action.

oc garza

Cindy,

I got a similar flare about a week ago with the M8 and 21mm Elmarit with a UV filter on it. It was the first one I had seen since I got the M8, probably around 6,000 clicks ago. It reminds me of the flare on my 20mm Nikkor except that instead of the smaller to larger bubbles moving away from the light source, the Leica seems to be this elongated, knife shaped form.
O.C.

lmr

Cindy:

I just did a quick test after reading this post. Just to see.

Looks like my M8 using my 35/f2 Asph shot wide open w/o code is doing the same thing. It all depends on the framing. Streak or no streak it depends on where the light it.

The question still remains... Is this a problem or not?

Yes, it shouldn't do that, this is a Leica and it should not streak no matter where the light source is?
No, all camera does that depending on how you frame it, this is extreme framing?

Robert.

Streak...
View attachment 7918

No Streak...
View attachment 7919