The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

R vs M lenses for < 135mm

dmabry2010

I think this forum is the correct forum to post this subject.

I purchased the Ricoh with A mount, the GX-1 with an M lens adapter, and a Sony NEX-7 with an adaptor for my Leica lenses to try against each other as a back up to the M9 and the Leica lenses I have.

What started out as a camera comparison became a lens comparison ...

After receiving a NEX-7 from a fellow GetDPI'er, I tested the Sony NEX-7 with a 180mm Elmarit-R and a 400mm Novoflex 5.6. The Elmarit-R blew away the 400mm Novoflex (clarity and general rendering). After seeing how much better the Leica 180mm Elmarit-R was over the Novoflex (that had twice+ the focal length), coupled with the ease of Sony's focus peaking, and reading what I think was stating R is "better for dSLR-type cameras" (can't find the thread), I am debating whether to purchase future M lenses or R lenses.

My main camera is the M9. And, so far, I have only M lenses to use less than 135mm. But, the live view coupled with focus peaking of the Sony NEX-7 has opened up a whole new world.

Except for the 12mm CV lens (which is fun on the NEX-7 by the way), my widest lens is a 25mm. I need to get a wider angle lens than the 25mm, something around 19mm (R) or 18mm (M). I would like suggestions comparing the two on the M camera (I have an R lens to M mount adapter). i have no doubt the 19mm (R) will be great on the NEX-7. But, am I compromising its performance on an M camera -- which is my main camera?

Thank you,

Michael
dmabry2010

Paratom

Michael,
since you own both the M9 and a NEX why would you use R lenses over M lenses for <=135mm?
The M lenses are smaller, optically probably as good if not better, smaller, lighter, stable value (but hard to get ;) )
Personally I am mostly using Nex lenses when I use the Nex, and I prefer to use the M9 when I use manual focus.

Andrew Gough

The ZM18 is very good on the NEX7, but it does need cornerfix. The WATE is ok on the NEX7 at F11 only. It is stellar on the NEX5n. HAs anybody tried the Leica M 18mm?

dmabry2010

Michael,
since you own both the M9 and a NEX why would you use R lenses over M lenses for <=135mm?
The M lenses are smaller, optically probably as good if not better, smaller, lighter, stable value (but hard to get ;) )
Personally I am mostly using Nex lenses when I use the Nex, and I prefer to use the M9 when I use manual focus.
Hi There!

The Elmarit-R 19mm F2.8 looks to go on Ebay under $2,000. The Super Elmar 18mm F3.8 goes north of $3,000, or so.

So, the R is a faster lens for less money. But, which is superior on the M? I am guessing the M, but wanted to know if anyone has experience comparing the two, or other M vs R at other focal lengths.

Thank you,

Michael

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
Still waiting for my Nex 7 but I ve used all the lenses you are considering. My primary bodies will be my M9 s and the NEX 7 will be used primarily to extend the range between 135-180 which provide a 180 270 mm FOV .

Because of the magenta shading I will be avoiding the wide angles .

I would avoid the R lenses for the wide angles even though the new version of the 19/2.8(typically runs about $3000) is a superb optic and a retrofocus formula. (it could potentially work better on the Nex 7 ) . One of the big advantages of the current 18/3.8 is that it works so well on the M9 where the in camera correction produces decent results out of the camera . The zeiss is likewise a great optic but is less well corrected by the M9 .

The R lenses at around $2000 are the first version 19/2.8 R ...used this lens for a long time a favorite ..but the wave distortion can destroy photographs and the more modern designs are superbly corrected . The 2nd generation 19/2.8 was one of the must have lens for the R system..but I believe the current 18/3.8 is better and its coupled so that you can focus it on a M body.

Agnius

Hi There!

The Elmarit-R 19mm F2.8 looks to go on Ebay under $2,000. The Super Elmar 18mm F3.8 goes north of $3,000, or so.

So, the R is a faster lens for less money. But, which is superior on the M? I am guessing the M, but wanted to know if anyone has experience comparing the two, or other M vs R at other focal lengths.

Thank you,

Michael
Michael,

I have 19mm Elmarit-R and it is quite a big lens. Although it is very good, I think my 21mm Zeiss is better, and I think Elmar 18mm will be even sharper. So you are paying more for higher optical performance and smaller physical size.

dmabry2010

Thank you both for your input based on experience.

So, the conclusion is to honor the M lenses as intended for the M camera. Use the M lenses with the NEX-7 for fun. I have been having a lot of fun using my Noct F1 with the NEX-7 as it makes focussing sooo much easier. Finally, go with R for longer lengths using the NEX-7 to benefit with its EVF and pixel peeking.

Makes sense.

Thanks again,

Michael