The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

R camera service - where to in California

EH21

Hi All,
I've got a sticky mirror in my R8 - symptom is that after a shot the mirror does not come down and the winder lever will be slack (no tension if I operate it). If I vigorously pump the winder arm several times then the mirror will drop back to its normal position and the lever arm will again have tension and I can wind the camera up for the next shot. After about 3 or 4 shots the mirror will stick up again. Anyone know what this might be and more importantly where I might send this in for service?

I have no objection to sending it to Leica NJ but have heard lots of stories about really sluggish turn around times and I'm not prepared to be without the camera for so long. Just wondering if there is competent place to repair the camera that might get a faster turnaround - even better if its close to San Francisco.

Thanks,
Eric

robsteve

Subscriber
Eric:

I don't think there are any independent repair shops that work on the R8/R9. Starting with the R8, a lot of the the camera became modular and also required special test equipment to set it up. For example, when the meter cells go, the repair is the replacement of the mirror box module.

The only independent shop I know of that works on the R8/R9 is Kindermann in Canada, but they were a Leica distributor a few years ago and still have all the test equipment. They also do the warranty repairs in Canada for Leica. I had the meter cells, meter box replaced in my R9 at Kindermann last year and they did it in a day.

With the holidays, a lot of these repair shops will also probably be closed until after New Years.

Robert

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Eric:

Call Fred at International Camera Technicians in Mountain View, CA, 650-961-5825 (after 11 AM). Tell him I sent you.

Cheers,

EH21

Thanks Jack and Robert for the recs.

Jack I called Fred today and he sounds like a great guy. He said he'd been working on cameras for 58 years!!! Wow!