The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

LCD Protection

rga

Hi All,

I am expecting delivery of an M9 baby this coming week along with a few lenses (it's been a very hard wait during the gestation period!). Yesss!!

Though this has probably been discussed, I'm wondering what folks use to protect the LCD. The dealer said not to use the Gotti as to get it off you need to apply heat to an extent that may very likely cause internal damage. He suggested a film type solution, as used on phone screens, etc.

Since I am not getting the "P", I would like to protect the LCD. Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Bob

atanabe

Giottos has performed fine for me, even when removing of the screen. The key thing to remember when removing the screen is to do it carefully. The heat that you need to apply is only enough to get the adhesive soft, not heat to melt it. The amount of heat applied should not prevent you from putting your fingers on the glass if you burn yourself then you put too much heat. Really, all you need to do is warm it up to soften the adhesive.

First off, I am very good with my hands and I am very patient, if you aren't, then do not attempt to do this.

Items to remove the old Giotto screen:

Hair dryer, sharp wooden toothpick or a plastic knife, Qtip cotton swab, rubbing alcohol and most important, patience. NEVER USE DENATURED ALCOHOL!

Step 1: Place the camera on a nice sturdy flat surface with the screen facing you. Apply heat from the hair dryer at the most for 10 seconds, just to heat up the screen and not too much to melt the screen. Check the adhesive with the toothpick along the edge, the screen should move slightly as the adhesive softens. If no movement then heat a little more, stopping often to check on the state of the adhesive. The adhesive will not release 100% by heat alone and thinking that will damage the underlying LCD cover!

Step 2: With the adhesive softened, you should be able to just lift a corner of the screen. The adhesive has not given up the hold mind you and by just lifting up is about .001 of an inch so be patient or you will crack the screen and may scratch the LCD screen that you were trying to protect. Dip the Qtip cotton swab in some rubbing alcohol. While prying the corner of the screen, touch the Qtip to the edge, let the capillary action draw some alcohol into the adhesive. Do not soak the screen just a minute amount on the raised corner adhesive is all that is needed. This will soften the adhesive and make it easy to remove. Be patient, the alcohol will slowly soften the adhesive.

Step 3: Be patient, take the toothpick and try to raise the screen off the LCD, as the adhesive is still holding fast, you will gain a bit more movement. Once again, dip the Qtip cotton swab in alcohol and touch the upraised edge and once again let the capillary action do it's thing. As the amount of adhesion decreases, you can go around the border of the screen just touching the edge, wetting it ever so slightly. Be patient, the previous steps have allowed you to breach the seal of the adhesive and the alcohol will break down the adhesive.

Step 4: Go around the border of the screen with the toothpick and gently pry the screen off of the LCD. Avoid putting too much pressure as this will crack the glass. If one area is stubborn, get a second toothpick to hold up the screen as a spacer and apply a little more alcohol to that area. Be patient and let it do it's job.

Keys to success is patience, do not use too much heat, just enough to get some movement and never use denatured alcohol. Too much of a good thing is bad, too much heat and you will possibly damage the LCD. Too much alcohol and the camera will drown. Use common sense, if you do not feel comfortable doing this, have a repair person do it. Use only rubbing alcohol, denatured alcohol is a solvent that will damage your camera.

Thanks. Seems to require the same removal heating process as the Gotti however...
Bob
I've already removed the ACMAXX protection a couple of times without any heating, just with the aid of my nails, starting from one corner...

Jan Brittenson

Senior Subscriber Member
Is there a better solution than Giotto? In particular, any soft transparent plastic. I bumped the lower left corner of the Giotto, which cracked and broke. The edges of the glass fragments of the protector left a few fine scratches on the cover glass. A soft plastic cover wouldn't have done that. (Of course, with no protector at all chances are the cover glass would have been even more damaged, so the Giotto is still better than nothing or those useless film covers.)

Here's to hoping Leica add dimples for tabs, so DSLR-style snap-on screen protectors can be used on the M10!

Jan Brittenson

Senior Subscriber Member
Or even better, create an MP version without the whole stupid back LCD. A small top OLED for menus and settings would be plenty. Back to the basics. Feature diet time.

rga

Jan,
The ACMAXX sited below seems to fit around the LCD and has metal edges. Is this something you think would be preferable?
Bob

Is there a better solution than Giotto? In particular, any soft transparent plastic. I bumped the lower left corner of the Giotto, which cracked and broke. The edges of the glass fragments of the protector left a few fine scratches on the cover glass. A soft plastic cover wouldn't have done that. (Of course, with no protector at all chances are the cover glass would have been even more damaged, so the Giotto is still better than nothing or those useless film covers.)

Here's to hoping Leica add dimples for tabs, so DSLR-style snap-on screen protectors can be used on the M10!

Godfrey

I have a GGS LCD screen protector on the GXR and a Giottos on the M9. Can't tell a wit's worth of difference between them, they both work very well. I'll likely never take them off.

I'm waiting for my Luigi half-case for the M9. I ordered it with the back cover completely removable. The cover will protect the screen protector in my bag or when I'm just swinging the camera over my shoulder.

rga

Hi Godfrey,
Luigi cases are gorgeous!
Thanks for the input,
Bob

I have a GGS LCD screen protector on the GXR and a Giottos on the M9. Can't tell a wit's worth of difference between them, they both work very well. I'll likely never take them off.

I'm waiting for my Luigi half-case for the M9. I ordered it with the back cover completely removable. The cover will protect the screen protector in my bag or when I'm just swinging the camera over my shoulder.

250swb

I don't see much point in protecting a plastic LCD screen with a glass one that can itself smash. And they are lots of money just so you don't have to do anything.

I use totally unbranded cheap iPhone screen protectors. Out of a pack of ten you can make twenty, so if you have another nineteen M9's as back up cameras that is really good value. But you do have to cut them down, and that takes maybe 30 seconds, so there is a downside.

In use they are clear, clearer than certain branded pre-cut screen protectors, and they do exactly what they are supposed to do, stop accidental scratches and knocks damaging the LCD. I can't work out why I would voluntarily pay more than 7 pence for a screen protector, but remain open to any good argument offered, unless it involves the concept that 'you paid $7000 for your Leica so you have to continue throwing money at it'. :)

Steve

Godfrey

I find all the plastic film protectors Ive used ruin the view of the screen. I see it become soft.

The glass ones I use enhance the view of the screen.

(Never did see the point of a screen protector on an iPhone. The gorilla glass used on the iPhones is tougher than any LCD protector ever sold. It's only barely less tough than the sapphire LCD cover on the M9-P, and it sure doesn't cost that much.)

fotoism

I use left-over Invisble Shield from another project. LCD screen quality is not accurate anyways so that does not bother me. It is for quick review only.

rga

For some perhaps.
To me the display of a histogram is perhaps one of the most important benefits provided by digital photography. That and ISO on the fly. If the OLED could display an accurate histogram, I would totally agree with you..
Bob

Or even better, create an MP version without the whole stupid back LCD. A small top OLED for menus and settings would be plenty. Back to the basics. Feature diet time.

MCTuomey

I don't see much point in protecting a plastic LCD screen with a glass one that can itself smash. And they are lots of money just so you don't have to do anything.

I use totally unbranded cheap iPhone screen protectors. Out of a pack of ten you can make twenty, so if you have another nineteen M9's as back up cameras that is really good value. But you do have to cut them down, and that takes maybe 30 seconds, so there is a downside.

In use they are clear, clearer than certain branded pre-cut screen protectors, and they do exactly what they are supposed to do, stop accidental scratches and knocks damaging the LCD. I can't work out why I would voluntarily pay more than 7 pence for a screen protector, but remain open to any good argument offered, unless it involves the concept that 'you paid $7000 for your Leica so you have to continue throwing money at it'. :)

Steve
+1 I like Steve's thumbie and I follow this advice. I make enough protectors from one pack to fit my several digi cams with plenty spare material left - very economical. And I never have to worry about breakage or heat application. Stick 'em on and go.