The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Lens Cap Options for 50mm Summicron?

johnastovall

Deceased, but remembered fondly here...
I have a 1970 production (III) 50mm Summicron and am trying to find an option for a lenshood that will snap in place when the lenshood is mounted in the inverted position. You can see from the image below that it looks like and the old cap. I've been told the new 37mm caps won't snap in the back of the inverted hood. The older cap just isn't very secure and I'm worried about it breaking or coming off when in a padded bag in my case.

Any suggestions?

robsteve

Subscriber
John:

The picture didn't make it.

A few weeks ago I noticed the modern 39mm caps will fit on the inverted hood if you have a uv/ir filter mounted. The tabs just lock into the threads of the filter.

Robert

johnastovall

Deceased, but remembered fondly here...
John:

The picture didn't make it.

A few weeks ago I noticed the modern 39mm caps will fit on the inverted hood if you have a uv/ir filter mounted. The tabs just lock into the threads of the filter.

Robert
Let's see if this works... I'll have to give that a try. As I'll have a filter soon.

eekimel

Hi John:

For what it's worth, I have an old 1960s vintage 50 F2 Summicron and use the 12538 plastic hood on it with the slip on cap. I also have a 12585 hood that I use on my 35 Summaron. Just now I checked the metal hood on that 50 with a new style plastic 39mm cap and while it did snap in the filter, it wasn't a snug fit. Here's hoping you have better luck.